Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

our 1st month on the Sunshine Coast

Wikiposts

our 1st month on the Sunshine Coast

Old Jul 25th 2006, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

selina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to behold
Default our 1st month on the Sunshine Coast

Hi all, here’s our experience so far.

Flight
We flew with Malaysian Airlines (£366 one way). The flight was on time and plenty of leg room. The food was OK just typical airline food, nothing special. Most of the flight was at night time so lights were off most of the way so we slept well. Stopped over in KL airport for around 6 hours so booked into one of the lounges. Would advise anyone to do the same as we had showers, comfy chairs to snooze on, free food and drink and internet connection to email home etc. The flight from KL was great, me and hubby (Neil) had 3 seats to ourselves and my son (Luke) had 5 seats as the flight was nearly empty so we could stretch out and sleep.

1st week spent in Brisbane
As planned we spent the first week in Brisbane in the Manhattan on Newstead apartments. The apartments were lovely and in a good location as Newstead is really central. You can get the bus of ferry to the city in a few minutes. It’s also very easy to access the motorway to get to the Sunshine and Gold Coast. Bev who works at the apartments, and is a Brit herself, was very helpful in giving directions and the info we needed. We spent this week activating bank accounts, buying mobiles etc and looking for a car. We had opened an account with ANZ online before we came and have found them excellent so far. Used Ozforex to transfer our money and again excellent, the transaction was easy to do and no problems with it. Found a car, well it is a van really, as Neil is a painter and the dealer sorted out reg for us so no problem there. Visited the Gold Coast and the beaches were great but when we visited the Sunshine Coast we realised that this was the place for us. Luckily we had already thought this would be the case and had a 2 week holiday rental booked there for when out week in Brisbane was up. Didn’t look around the Brissy suburbs as we don’t have city jobs so why live in the city when you can be near the beach!

Car hire
We used East Coast Rentals for our car hire. This cost $230 (for 1 week) this included extra insurance cover to bring the excess down. The car we had was OK for getting around and the service was good. The van we bought from Mercedes was due in but not ready for us to take it when our car hire finished so Mercedes loaned us a really nice Merc until it was ready, that was a result and saved us a few $$$.
Apartment on the Sunshine Coast
Our apartment was right on the sea front at Cotton Tree and was huge. 2 bed, 2 bath and a really big outside entertainment are as we were on the ground floor. It was really nice but a bit like a 70’s shag pad as there were mirrors everywhere! This cost $1100 for 2 weeks it would have been $ 900 but one of the weeks was in School Holidays so it cost more.

Finding a rental
This was not as bad as I expected. We picked up rental lists from all the agents the drove around to look at them from the outside. Some looked awful and others OK. Found one in Buderim that was also up for sale for $470k, way overpriced in my opinion. When we looked inside we thought ‘yes, this will do us’. It is a townhouse, only 1 year old, on the top of Buderim, 3 bed, 2 bath with great sea views. They wanted $320 pw for it and we offered $280 and they accepted it so her we are. No problem not having references. Bought loads of stuff like fridge, washing machine, sofa etc. Most shops here you barter on the price. Everything except finance is classed as cash here and for cash you take off around 10-20% of the retail price so you can get some good deals.

Kids
Luke is 17, and started at the Sunshine Coast University 1 week after we arrived which we arranged by email from the UK. He loves it there and has made friends easily. He has played several games of football (soccer) since arriving and is now playing in the 1st div and the coach from Queensland Roar watched him play and wants him to trial for their club. He played to a high standard back in the UK, and played for premier league clubs when he was younger so should do well here. It has helped that for 1 that he wanted to come here and 2 he has something so focus on ie,: uni and football.

Work
Neil has had no problem finding work as a painter. In fact they have been ringing him constantly asking when he can start. He has started work in week 2 with a contractor on $25 ph which seems to be the going rate. He says the work is just really ‘toshing’ but it pays the bills for now. I have had several offers of work, being a nurse. Most of which have been part-time or casual. Sent my CV off to various places and have had 5 job offer so far this week! Have started one job already and the money is good but not sure it’s what I really want so I’m keeping my options open.

Homesickness
Well to be honest we don’t really feel like we’ve left the UK. Have spoken to family probably more than we did when we were in the UK. Oz is not that different really just little things. Don’t really miss anything yet, but we may do in time. The biggest change, for me anyway, is supermarkets. Have tried them all and find Woolworths the best for me and luckily there is one 100 metres up the road from our rental. Went to a local meet market to stock up the freezer and spent $150 on a whole shopping trolley full of stuff which will keep us going for at least 3 months.

General Stuff
Have looked around various areas around the Sunshine Coast and ventured inland to areas like Gympie and Nambour. The more inland you go the more Hicksville it becomes. I mean rednecks with goatees and no shoes on. Mind you see this is everywhere to be honest, even in the big shopping complex, the Plaza in Maroochydore, people walk around with no shoes on. It’s quite refreshing actually! All in all there seems to be something here to suit everyones taste. The beaches are out of this world and the people we have met have been very welcoming. I feel that we will have no problem calling the Sunshine Coast home.

Advice
To those venturing down the emigration path this is my advise. Research as much as you can, we had never been to Oz before so that was all we had to go on, research off the internet and get personal recommendations on car hire, banks, shipping etc. if you have kids that don’t really want to make the move make sure they have school, uni, sports clubs to get involved with as soon as they arrive to help them make friends asap. Take your time, if you can afford to take the 1st month weighing up jobs and areas then do so, don’t rush into anything as you may regret it later.
This is just my opinion, so don’t slate me for it but, regret the things you didn’t do not the things you did do.
Well that’s it from me folks and I wish you all the best of luck in whatever you decide to do.
Selina xxx
Old Jul 25th 2006, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: our 1st month on the Sunshine Coast

That's a really nice, positive, practical post, thanks.
We are looking forward to going back to live on the sunshine coast, hopefully this year (I'm a nurse also, so might bump into you some time).
Cheers
Kitty
Old Jul 25th 2006, 6:33 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by selina
Hi all, here’s our experience so far.

Flight
We flew with Malaysian Airlines (£366 one way). The flight was on time and plenty of leg room. The food was OK just typical airline food, nothing special. Most of the flight was at night time so lights were off most of the way so we slept well. Stopped over in KL airport for around 6 hours so booked into one of the lounges. Would advise anyone to do the same as we had showers, comfy chairs to snooze on, free food and drink and internet connection to email home etc. The flight from KL was great, me and hubby (Neil) had 3 seats to ourselves and my son (Luke) had 5 seats as the flight was nearly empty so we could stretch out and sleep.

1st week spent in Brisbane
As planned we spent the first week in Brisbane in the Manhattan on Newstead apartments. The apartments were lovely and in a good location as Newstead is really central. You can get the bus of ferry to the city in a few minutes. It’s also very easy to access the motorway to get to the Sunshine and Gold Coast. Bev who works at the apartments, and is a Brit herself, was very helpful in giving directions and the info we needed. We spent this week activating bank accounts, buying mobiles etc and looking for a car. We had opened an account with ANZ online before we came and have found them excellent so far. Used Ozforex to transfer our money and again excellent, the transaction was easy to do and no problems with it. Found a car, well it is a van really, as Neil is a painter and the dealer sorted out reg for us so no problem there. Visited the Gold Coast and the beaches were great but when we visited the Sunshine Coast we realised that this was the place for us. Luckily we had already thought this would be the case and had a 2 week holiday rental booked there for when out week in Brisbane was up. Didn’t look around the Brissy suburbs as we don’t have city jobs so why live in the city when you can be near the beach!

Car hire
We used East Coast Rentals for our car hire. This cost $230 (for 1 week) this included extra insurance cover to bring the excess down. The car we had was OK for getting around and the service was good. The van we bought from Mercedes was due in but not ready for us to take it when our car hire finished so Mercedes loaned us a really nice Merc until it was ready, that was a result and saved us a few $$$.
Apartment on the Sunshine Coast
Our apartment was right on the sea front at Cotton Tree and was huge. 2 bed, 2 bath and a really big outside entertainment are as we were on the ground floor. It was really nice but a bit like a 70’s shag pad as there were mirrors everywhere! This cost $1100 for 2 weeks it would have been $ 900 but one of the weeks was in School Holidays so it cost more.

Finding a rental
This was not as bad as I expected. We picked up rental lists from all the agents the drove around to look at them from the outside. Some looked awful and others OK. Found one in Buderim that was also up for sale for $470k, way overpriced in my opinion. When we looked inside we thought ‘yes, this will do us’. It is a townhouse, only 1 year old, on the top of Buderim, 3 bed, 2 bath with great sea views. They wanted $320 pw for it and we offered $280 and they accepted it so her we are. No problem not having references. Bought loads of stuff like fridge, washing machine, sofa etc. Most shops here you barter on the price. Everything except finance is classed as cash here and for cash you take off around 10-20% of the retail price so you can get some good deals.

Kids
Luke is 17, and started at the Sunshine Coast University 1 week after we arrived which we arranged by email from the UK. He loves it there and has made friends easily. He has played several games of football (soccer) since arriving and is now playing in the 1st div and the coach from Queensland Roar watched him play and wants him to trial for their club. He played to a high standard back in the UK, and played for premier league clubs when he was younger so should do well here. It has helped that for 1 that he wanted to come here and 2 he has something so focus on ie,: uni and football.

Work
Neil has had no problem finding work as a painter. In fact they have been ringing him constantly asking when he can start. He has started work in week 2 with a contractor on $25 ph which seems to be the going rate. He says the work is just really ‘toshing’ but it pays the bills for now. I have had several offers of work, being a nurse. Most of which have been part-time or casual. Sent my CV off to various places and have had 5 job offer so far this week! Have started one job already and the money is good but not sure it’s what I really want so I’m keeping my options open.

Homesickness
Well to be honest we don’t really feel like we’ve left the UK. Have spoken to family probably more than we did when we were in the UK. Oz is not that different really just little things. Don’t really miss anything yet, but we may do in time. The biggest change, for me anyway, is supermarkets. Have tried them all and find Woolworths the best for me and luckily there is one 100 metres up the road from our rental. Went to a local meet market to stock up the freezer and spent $150 on a whole shopping trolley full of stuff which will keep us going for at least 3 months.

General Stuff
Have looked around various areas around the Sunshine Coast and ventured inland to areas like Gympie and Nambour. The more inland you go the more Hicksville it becomes. I mean rednecks with goatees and no shoes on. Mind you see this is everywhere to be honest, even in the big shopping complex, the Plaza in Maroochydore, people walk around with no shoes on. It’s quite refreshing actually! All in all there seems to be something here to suit everyones taste. The beaches are out of this world and the people we have met have been very welcoming. I feel that we will have no problem calling the Sunshine Coast home.

Advice
To those venturing down the emigration path this is my advise. Research as much as you can, we had never been to Oz before so that was all we had to go on, research off the internet and get personal recommendations on car hire, banks, shipping etc. if you have kids that don’t really want to make the move make sure they have school, uni, sports clubs to get involved with as soon as they arrive to help them make friends asap. Take your time, if you can afford to take the 1st month weighing up jobs and areas then do so, don’t rush into anything as you may regret it later.
This is just my opinion, so don’t slate me for it but, regret the things you didn’t do not the things you did do.
Well that’s it from me folks and I wish you all the best of luck in whatever you decide to do.
Selina xxx
Great post, Glad you're enjoying it.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 6:34 pm
It's got to be purple....

wsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent post.....glad to hear that things seem to be working out really well for you. You seem to have achieved a lot in your first month and sound settled already !!! Long may it continue.

Wendy
Old Jul 25th 2006, 6:34 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

hi selina

thanks for the info

we will be out there early oct so i`m reading all the
"our experiances to date" posts

regards steve
Old Jul 25th 2006, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

hi

excellent post...I hope my son settles as well as yours..although hes only 14 and says he will come for 3 months ive told him he has to go to school there..so who knows..

good luck for the future..

regards

lolly
Old Jul 25th 2006, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

mickandtrace is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Selina

Thanks for your post, I thought you gave a terrific account of your time so far. We as a family can relate to alot of what you have said and my son who will be 16 and a half when we get to the Sunshine Coast next year, (infact Buderim or Sippy downs is where we hope to settle,) is very keen footballer and plays a high standard here so your advise on maybe sorting a team out before we go has been great.

Can I PM at any time for any future advise.
Tracey
Old Jul 25th 2006, 7:27 pm
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Selina - great post getting us very excited to arrive now
One question did you have to pre book into the airport lounge in Malaysia or do you just pay at the door? Are they expensive?
Cheers
Martyn
Old Jul 25th 2006, 7:33 pm
srd
Forum Regular

srd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nice

[QUOTE=mickandtrace]Hi Selina

Hi

we are also returning to sunshine coast hopefully in the next couple of months now are house is sold, with a 16 yr old and hoping to get my 17 yr old to return too although he is very reluctant. its good to hear how others are getting on. srd.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 7:49 pm
CazBeckham

CazBeckham is on a distinguished road

Hi Selina

Great post and glad to hear everything is working out for you considering you have never been to Oz before.

We have been twice now and will be applying for our CPV next Feb -07 once our Daughter has been "settled" for two years, she has just applied for PR through her company but we still have to wait till Feb to apply.

Our Daughter and Husband (Her Nurse and he a bus driver) migrated to Australia in Feb 05 having never been before and are in Brisbane, have just moved into their own house and love it so much there, with no thought of ever coming back to UK.

It's great to hear how people have got on in a country that they have never been to before, so good luck.

Caz
Old Jul 25th 2006, 8:01 pm

electricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really niceelectricbaby is just really nice

Hi Selina
Great to hear from you, I can't believe you are there and living it!!!
You sound as though you are settling well, Brilliant.Great post for those of us that are still waiting
Old Jul 25th 2006, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Selina

Great post! Lots of useful information for us wanabee sunshine coasters

Steve
Old Jul 26th 2006, 10:37 am
Live it not dream it!!

happy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of light

Great post. Glad you have settled well in your new life on the Sunshine Coast. We are going to be flying out in september with our two kids and hopefully looking to settle around the Buderim/Mountain Creek area.

Did you Husband need a license to start as a painter and what are the job prospects like. I used to be a Mechanical fitter but now do plastering and general handyman stuff, do you think there would be any call for this out there?

We had a holiday on the Sunshine Coast in April and really liked the feel of the place so we are going for location rather than job prospects, although I obviously will need to do something.

Hope everything carries on well for you and maybe we will meet out there oneday.
Dave
Old Aug 6th 2006, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

selina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mickandtrace
Hi Selina

Thanks for your post, I thought you gave a terrific account of your time so far. We as a family can relate to alot of what you have said and my son who will be 16 and a half when we get to the Sunshine Coast next year, (infact Buderim or Sippy downs is where we hope to settle,) is very keen footballer and plays a high standard here so your advise on maybe sorting a team out before we go has been great.

Can I PM at any time for any future advise.
Tracey
sorry to take so long to reply but had problems with my expat account.

hi tracey, there are loads of footy teams here on the sunshine coast. he will need a copy of his visa and passport and a letter from his club saying that he owes them no money and is of good character etc etc. i know it sounds it a bit much but that is how they do it here.

hi martyn, we didn't book the lounge at the airport just booked in when we arrived there. i would recommend it as it's nice to kick back and relax in between flights. can't remember how much it was as i paid using my credit card. i know it wasn't much as i'm a tight arse!

someone asked about a licence for my husband as he is a painter. it is a 'blue card' that you need to do any sort of constuction work eg, bricklayer, chippy, tiler etc. he did his online with a company called 'blue dog training' so he had ready fro when we arrived here. it only cost about $70 and was dead easy just health and safety stuff really.

for those looking to move to the sunshine coast check out the 'sunshine coast daily' it's got an online job search so you can see what sort of jobs are available. otherwise the usual 'seek' and 'careerone' websites also cover this area too.

if i can be of any help to anyone moving over to this area just let me know. selina x
Old Aug 7th 2006, 1:20 am
Hibees Hibees

gary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nice

Originally Posted by selina
sorry to take so long to reply but had problems with my expat account.

hi tracey, there are loads of footy teams here on the sunshine coast. he will need a copy of his visa and passport and a letter from his club saying that he owes them no money and is of good character etc etc. i know it sounds it a bit much but that is how they do it here.

hi martyn, we didn't book the lounge at the airport just booked in when we arrived there. i would recommend it as it's nice to kick back and relax in between flights. can't remember how much it was as i paid using my credit card. i know it wasn't much as i'm a tight arse!

someone asked about a licence for my husband as he is a painter. it is a 'blue card' that you need to do any sort of constuction work eg, bricklayer, chippy, tiler etc. he did his online with a company called 'blue dog training' so he had ready fro when we arrived here. it only cost about $70 and was dead easy just health and safety stuff really.

for those looking to move to the sunshine coast check out the 'sunshine coast daily' it's got an online job search so you can see what sort of jobs are available. otherwise the usual 'seek' and 'careerone' websites also cover this area too.

if i can be of any help to anyone moving over to this area just let me know. selina x
Hi Selina, enjoyed your post made us feel more positive about our big move 2 oz.Still unsure what area of Sunshine C bearing in mind OH is a forklift driver/ storeman and needs 2 be near this kind of work. I should be ok i am a hairdresser!
Julie :scared:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.