Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OT. Cleaning a car...

OT. Cleaning a car...

Old Oct 22nd 2003, 11:15 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default OT. Cleaning a car...

Hope you don'nt mind this going off piste...but i need some advice about my car. Noone i know can help !

My car that i am about to sell has a fair few scratches on the passenger side, mainly from bushes etc from country lane driving (which is what i mainly do...). How is best to remove them. Somone suggested a t-cut. What is that? The scratches are only light, and don't go through to the undercoat.

Cheers

Pete.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 11:30 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: OT. Cleaning a car...

Originally posted by PeteY
Hope you don'nt mind this going off piste...but i need some advice about my car. Noone i know can help !

My car that i am about to sell has a fair few scratches on the passenger side, mainly from bushes etc from country lane driving (which is what i mainly do...). How is best to remove them. Somone suggested a t-cut. What is that? The scratches are only light, and don't go through to the undercoat.

Cheers

Pete.
T-Cut is a brand name - it's a paste like liquid that you polish out the scratches with. (Dreadful English, but you know what I mean!) It's like a very liquid jewellers rouge, to give an extremely fine polish. Also gets rid of the dullness of older paint. Be ready to put in a LOT of elbow grease! You'll have to do all the paintwork, or it will look patchy. :lecture:
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 11:33 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by downunderpom
T-Cut is a brand name - it's a paste like liquid that you polish out the scratches with. (Dreadful English, but you know what I mean!) It's like a very liquid jewellers rouge, to give an extremely fine polish. Also gets rid of the dullness of older paint. Be ready to put in a LOT of elbow grease! You'll have to do all the paintwork, or it will look patchy. :lecture:
Ok sounds good(not the elbow grease bit ).

Thanks for the reply.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 2:23 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

hi there,

just thought i'd add, you can get coloured polish that actually (supposedly) fills in very fine scratches. If you can get one a similar colour to your car it may be an easier option.

T-cut will do the job without question, but i've found when t-cutting once you start you have to do every panel to make the colours match, especially if your car is red. Then you will have to re-wax it to protect the new skin of paint,.... give your elbow some time to recover before attempting this!
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

mikel is an unknown quantity at this point

it might not be a good idea to use t cut on 2 pack paintwork i.e. metalic
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 2:47 pm
A Male Member

It is a metallic paint......

Don't want to ruin it obviously....anyone got a defintive answer?

Don't mind putting in the time if i can sell it for even 50 quid more. I am the modern version of scrooge.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 2:57 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

... sell it in the rain!

sorry i know i'm not much help.

Old Oct 22nd 2003, 3:00 pm
life begins again...

try this.. http://www.motormania.co.uk/product_...?intDescID=258
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 4:14 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

It is a metallic paint......

Don't want to ruin it obviously....anyone got a defintive answer?

Don't mind putting in the time if i can sell it for even 50 quid more. I am the modern version of scrooge.
:scared:

Don't do it then!

TCut is fine on old, solid colour paint IF you're prepared to put a LOT of work in. If You are selling, frankly you'd be better of just cleaning/polishing and letting the buyer do it up to the standard he wants. You can bugger up the whole car with TCut quite comprehensively!

Metallic paints are a no-no. They have a surface transparent seal - the TCut goes through this and you have an unholy mess!:lecture:
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

just going off the thread a bit (but related to cars) we have this mentality at the moment of celebrating all sorts of milestones our last one last week was my trust little micra which has just passed its 100,000 miles mark

bring on the champers

arlene
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 4:31 pm
A Male Member

Ok everyone...thanks for the replies. Lucky i posted

I think i will just settle with a good wash. I've got some Autoglym polish which makes it sparkle so i'll use that too.

Cheers

Pete.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 4:38 pm
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers

Pete.

Country Lanes........... know em well

love lisa
xxxxxxxxx

Old Oct 22nd 2003, 8:50 pm
Badge

Mate forget the t-cut

instead use a SIMILAR product like a polish/ alternative which does the same thing albeit LESS drastically. T-cut is a kind of last resort thing (?)

Someone technical here will probably point out the difference between a polish and a restorer etc but we used a auto glym "paint restorer"? which worked a treat. Do the entire car and it will come on a treat = we used it after our car had been sat under a tree after it had been hot and then wet and got strange marks everywhere. Great for if you are looking to sell a car.

Tar remover helped solve it but the Auto glym worked well. They do a entire range of valeting products.

Badge

Last edited by badgersmount; Oct 22nd 2003 at 8:53 pm.

Old Oct 22nd 2003, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Prestons is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok everyone...thanks for the replies. Lucky i posted

I think i will just settle with a good wash. I've got some Autoglym polish which makes it sparkle so i'll use that too.

Cheers

Pete.
Hi Pete

We have used a product called 'touch up pencil' in the past which can be bought at halfords or main dealers in all the main manufacturers colours. It is really effective and only a few quid. I am waiting for hubby to order me one from work at the moment.

I had a call from a potential buyer today who asked if there were any scratches. I am not a good liar so said there were a few. A long winded conversation followed about how long the scratches were, how deep etc. Have decided to get the paint stuff asap and keep my mouth shut in future!

Dawn (turning into Arthur Daley as we speak!)
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 9:21 pm
A Male Member

Once again, thanks for the help everyone. What a useful bunch you are

Originally posted by Prestons
Dawn (turning into Arthur Daley as we speak!)
And Dawn....if you make the full transgression within the next two or three weeks, come sell my car for me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.