Reload this Page >

Ossie Permanent Resident transferring super back to U.K

Old Apr 6th 2011, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

pegzyisdeed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ossie Permanent Resident transferring super back to U.K

O.K, I've asked this question before, however I've not had a definitive answer. I lived in ozz for around 5 years, I become a permanent resident after about 3 then decided my life belonged back in the U.K. I'm a British national.

Can someone who has knowledge in this field advise me if I can consolidate all my super funds in ozz (which will be around 3 or 4) and move the money to a U.K fund.

Simple question, however I doubt if the answer will be as simple.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 12:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ossie Permanent Resident transferring super back to U.K

Not according to the ATO. They say you can move it if you are a temporary resident but not if you are permanent or citizen.

However, some people who have returned insist that they have been able to retrieve their super - whether they had to prove the destruction of their permanent visa or whether they cried poor I have no idea as no one seems to have been crystal clear on how it was done.

Good luck and do let us know if you have been able to manage it and what proof was required as there will be quite a few returnees who would be interested.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 12:25 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pegzyisdeed

O.K, I've asked this question before, however I've not had a definitive answer. I lived in ozz for around 5 years, I become a permanent resident after about 3 then decided my life belonged back in the U.K. I'm a British national.

Can someone who has knowledge in this field advise me if I can consolidate all my super funds in ozz (which will be around 3 or 4) and move the money to a U.K fund.

Yes you can. But it wouldn't be legal.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 12:26 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Not according to the ATO. They say you can move it if you are a temporary resident but not if you are permanent or citizen.

However, some people who have returned insist that they have been able to retrieve their super - whether they had to prove the destruction of their permanent visa or whether they cried poor I have no idea as no one seems to have been crystal clear on how it was done.

Good luck and do let us know if you have been able to manage it and what proof was required as there will be quite a few returnees who would be interested.
For the people who insist they have retrieved their super, either they did it a long time ago when the rules allowed this or their super company made a mistake.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

pegzyisdeed is an unknown quantity at this point

Not really what I wanted to hear but appreciate your feedback thus far.

I'm sure its possible going the other way, i.e moving pensions from U.K to Australia, I remember there being adverts on T.V while I was over there.

Does this mean I would need to wait until I'm 65, or older (who knows when retiring age will be by then) before I can actually withdraw this money?
Old Apr 6th 2011, 1:20 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure its possible going the other way, i.e moving pensions from U.K to Australia, I remember there being adverts on T.V while I was over there.

Does this mean I would need to wait until I'm 65, or older (who knows when retiring age will be by then) before I can actually withdraw this money?
Old Apr 6th 2011, 1:24 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Transfers out of the UK are controlled by rules called QROPS. The purpose of these is to stop people accessing their pension money before retirement age. Australia just has a different way of doing the same thing.

The age for accessing super is between 55 and 60 depending on how old you are now.

There are ways of accessing super early but these normally involve hardship or ill health. Although I think anyone can access their super money if they transfer it to a non-transferable annuity (although this would probably have to be in Aus).
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes, you can definitely bring them into Aus and there are tax penalties for not doing so. I reckon it's just another ruse to trap you here actually!
Old Apr 6th 2011, 9:01 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Originally Posted by quoll
Oh yes, you can definitely bring them into Aus and there are tax penalties for not doing so. I reckon it's just another ruse to trap you here actually!
It's more to do with the way pensions are taxed in the 2 countries. Aus taxes on the way in. UK taxes on the way out.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 10:26 pm
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
It's more to do with the way pensions are taxed in the 2 countries. Aus taxes on the way in. UK taxes on the way out.
You can bring your pension here - within various rules. But I was advised that I needed to be really sure I was staying here as it would not be possible to take it back to the uk again (as well as being vv expensive).
As said there is different tax treatments that are the problem. You can normally take your super in Oz early if you are ill or in serious financial difficulty and about to lose your house. When you reach retirement age, even if you are in the uk, you can then withdraw your super in one lump if you want and convert it to pounds.
Good luck
Old Apr 6th 2011, 10:34 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Originally Posted by Scotty1
You can bring your pension here - within various rules. But I was advised that I needed to be really sure I was staying here as it would not be possible to take it back to the uk again (as well as being vv expensive).
As said there is different tax treatments that are the problem. You can normally take your super in Oz early if you are ill or in serious financial difficulty and about to lose your house. When you reach retirement age, even if you are in the uk, you can then withdraw your super in one lump if you want and convert it to pounds.
Good luck
Check out the 'new reply' button on the bottom left.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 11:46 pm

lancastrian48 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can transfer it back when qualify to access super ? 60 ish ?
Old Apr 7th 2011, 2:45 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Can you transfer if your PR has lapsed?

Never heard if this has been done but thought it may be a consideration!
Old Apr 7th 2011, 2:58 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

wouldnt it be luuuvvvvly
Old Apr 7th 2011, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tking
Can you transfer if your PR has lapsed?

Never heard if this has been done but thought it may be a consideration!
No, sadly not. You can withdraw if you are were the holder of a temporary visa. As PR is not temporary you can't do it.

The only time it gets done is when the super company cocks up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.