Wikiposts

'Orrible 'Ouses

Old May 24th 2004, 12:38 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

I too like 'solid' houses, but with modern convenience. I don't see anything wrong with putting in 'modern' bits such as underfloor heating (I HATE radiators with a passion!) I also think that you should work with the environment, rather than forcing your requirements on an area which can't naturally sustain what you want. i.e. if you want a cool climate, then live in a cool climate - don't live in the tropics and have your aircon running 24/7 FFS!

Mrs DUP and I want a sandstone house (I may have mentioned this once or twice... ) so that's what we're having. While our house will be 'new' in that is is a newly built building, it will not be 'new' in the sense that it's thrown up using cheap, mass produced materials in a bid to make the maximum profit from the minimum amount of expenditure, or the maximum amount of 'show' for minimum expenditure, which is pretty much the same thing.

Our builder has managed to keep the cost of building this (very plain) house to just over $300K. Let's see one of these fancy 'kit' houses get made for that sort of money! If you spent $300K on a 'kit' house it would be a two storey, seven bed, six bath monstrosity with an olympic pool out the back! We're having three 'bedrooms', in addition to the main bedroom, which will be used as gym, library and office. One bathroom, one shower room, lounge and kitchen. That's all. But in order to get it built to last we're prepared to spend $300K just on the construction, never mind the cost of the land as well. (Okay, for the picky, the cost includes a fresh water tank, greywater and blackwater tanks, and a sewage disposal trench.)

So, we're building a house to outlast us by a considerable time. Maybe in 300 years or so someone like Ceri will be looking for an 'old' house, and thank us for doing it 'right'....

Last edited by downunderpom; May 24th 2004 at 12:40 pm.
Old May 24th 2004, 1:17 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Good old corrugated iron:
Attached Thumbnails 'Orrible 'Ouses-dunny1.jpg  
Old May 24th 2004, 1:18 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Megalania
Good old corrugated iron:
I'm getting this feeling of deja vu.......
Old May 24th 2004, 1:22 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by downunderpom
I'm getting this feeling of deja vu.......
Temporal warps will do that - just think jet lag in the forth dimension.
Old May 24th 2004, 1:27 pm
I like kittens.

Originally posted by Megalania
Temporal warps will do that - just think jet lag in the forth dimension.
Or Buckaroo Banzai in the seventh dimension..... (or was it the sixth? Load of cobblers, anyway!)
Old May 24th 2004, 1:39 pm
Banned

Originally posted by downunderpom
Or Buckaroo Banzai in the seventh dimension..... (or was it the sixth? Load of cobblers, anyway!)
Ooo err - you're scribing from the SEVENTH dimension - have you registered your religion with the authorities yet - could be my new idol.