Wikiposts

'Orrible 'Ouses

Old May 19th 2004, 3:41 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Florida_03
I like to think we learn from the past. However, my experience is that Australian politics has entrenched levels of corruption that will see the continued, unabated destruction of the land I love.
Entire councils are made up of property developers
Old May 19th 2004, 4:35 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: 'Orrible 'Ouses

Originally posted by Florida_03
I spent my teens living on Bribie Island. There was a creek across the road from our house where I could set a mullet trap and catch some poddy for a bit of flathead fishing. I could walk up the creek which was an outlet from a springfed swamp and wade waistdeep through the reeds. There was another major creek that that was also feed by the same swamp and spring where I could canoe almost to the middle of the island. When the water got so shallow you would touch the muddy bottom with the paddle and every now and then disturb a stingray, that would then rise from the bottom - in protest at being disturbed - with a flap of its wings and swirl the water and stir the mud.

I would paddle into the mangroves and tie up to a tree and just sit there or lie in the bottom of the canoe and listen to the crabs, plovers, the sounds of breathing of a living environment. I loved those places. The council was conservative in their planning and development on Bribie was slow. The developers got sick of the resistance to change and got elected onto council, rammed through their plans, and left.

The swamp was drained, the spring funnelled into drainage pipes, the creek across the road was filled in and houses were built on top of the spot where had I watched the poddys sneek into the trap to eat the bread. My beloved paddling creek was stripped of mangroves, the whole site enclosed in sand parapets so the destruction was hidden from prying eyes. The dredges finished the job. The canal front blocks were snapped up and the concrete seawalls ensured that no silt built up to allow the mangroves a chance of rebirth. You can drive your boat up the canals, where the sound of the outboards drown out the last gasps of that once glorious place.
Meg, have you been there recently? .. I haven't got a Bribie map on me .... you know where the canal homes are and then you have a beach ( mud like) .. canal homes either side.. they have re developed most of the land around there.. with fake walk ways.. imprinted tacky shells in concrete. totally spoiling the few areas left

There are a few of the older area near welsby lagoon .. ( can't remember what the beach is called) .

Cheers

Anyway all Aus houses are tacky... duck

Modern ones will not last ( and I'm speaking as someone who has had a house built here).. Qldanders always remind me of the malaysian Kampongs ( or the early Brit army housing) .. what's the diff between a kampong and Qld??.
I long for a real hundreds upon hundreds years old Brit house.. I've got my eye on the King Arthur pub ( Gower).. it would make a lovely house

Last edited by Ceri; May 19th 2004 at 5:35 pm.
Old May 19th 2004, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Mrs DB this is for you.

A picture of my 100 year old Edwardian cast Iron fireplace from my ex-house in England.

I restored it by hand, taking off 100 years of paintwork, plaster effects and plywood. All in all it took me about 6 months to do. It was well worth it in the end as it was a stunner! ( excuse the bin liner I was cleaning out the soot!)
Attached Thumbnails 'Orrible 'Ouses-dscf0009b.jpg  
Old May 19th 2004, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We love older houses, they are so much sturdier and stronger than the new boxes.
Our last house was fab, we could hammer anything into the walls and they would not fall apart. The high ceilings kept it cool ( a bit of a waste of time in England though) and it had a sense of grandeur and history about it.

However they are a lot of work to maintain and after living in one for 5 years, the easy maintenance aspects of a new house appeal to me more now!
Old May 19th 2004, 5:41 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by tinaj
Mrs DB this is for you.

A picture of my 100 year old Edwardian cast Iron fireplace from my ex-house in England.

I restored it by hand, taking off 100 years of paintwork, plaster effects and plywood. All in all it took me about 6 months to do. It was well worth it in the end as it was a stunner! ( excuse the bin liner I was cleaning out the soot!)
That's nice.. you know what would go with that.. the floor quarry tiles. My mum- in law.. has stripped her house back.. she lives in an old house , underneath the crap carpet there were the origianal quarry tiles.. she painstakingly cleaned it all up ( actually she was going to rip them up.. until the workman saw them.. and said don't you dare!!!.. people pay thousands for that look these days).. her old fireplace has like a slate grate.. and the old brick type.. very rustic
Old May 19th 2004, 6:07 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

My last place in the UK was a flat in Bristol overlooking the Avon Gorge, facing south with lots of sun - first floor flat in a conversion from a big merchant's house. Dated from about 1750 (were Aus and NZ even 'discovered' when that was built?!!

It had beautiful dimensions, huge ceilings and proper size rooms (these days a double bedroom seems to be one that is big enough for a double bed and enough space to walk around to get in!)

Give me the old stuff anyday.
Old May 19th 2004, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by tinaj
Mrs DB this is for you.

Tina
That is really beautiful. It must have taken you ages. Nice for the lucky devils that got it when you came to Aus
Old May 19th 2004, 7:08 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

This is the house I grew up in in Oxford.

Sadly it was destroyed many years ago to build the ring road

Gives my age away as well

G
Attached Thumbnails 'Orrible 'Ouses-dools.jpg  
Old May 19th 2004, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ascot Berks(06.04) to Cronulla nr Sydney back to Ascot (04.05)
Rosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really nice

What a gorgeous house! when we came back from Aus last year (validation) we really appreciated the beautiful housing in...yes Reading! what we had formerly driven past-rows of victorian terraces- looked lovely in comparaison with the endless sprawl of bungalows and flat-roofed cheap architecture in Aus.
Hasn't stopped us wanting to go back to Aus but our expectations are different
Old May 19th 2004, 11:19 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Tina, thats gorgeous. Very very nice indeed, worth every min you spent doing it.

Don, similar, we had an end of terrace cottage in a lovely little village in Hampshire, listed as mid 18th century, possibly older. Originally downstairs was probably stables, very low ceilings (Dagboy had to duck in the kitchen ) & gorgeous old beams everywhere. Problem was that it was far too small, even if we had stayed in the UK, we would have had to sell cos we couldnt live in 4 rooms + bathroom :scared: .

Grayling, beautiful house, Dagboy was brought up in Oxford when he was very young, not sure if it was before or after the ringroad though .

Last edited by MrsDagboy; May 20th 2004 at 12:27 am.
Old May 19th 2004, 11:38 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DianeOZ
I like old, but in Perth you are not going to get anything old unless you have a million or so to live near the city so I am happy enough with our 8 year old box in th burbs.

Thing is though, why is it in decorating mags they have all these character houses with skirting boards, architrave and nooks and crannys

I still hanker after the country cottage thing with an overgrown garden, I think I'm in the wrong country..
Nah...
Ever think about moving south (Bunbury or either further?). You husband is a tradesperson, right?, so that shouldn't be a problem.... I think...

This was our old cottage in Kalamunda(hills Perth). Not that old I guess, but old enough, and my dad's a builder and enjoyed fixing it up('new' kitchen, extra bedroom with ensuite, new roof, new pool, new shed).
Attached Thumbnails 'Orrible 'Ouses-1988_390a_06_schmitt.jpg  
Old May 19th 2004, 11:41 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Garden?
Attached Thumbnails 'Orrible 'Ouses-1988_398_garden.jpg  
Old May 19th 2004, 11:45 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Front 'garden' with long driveway and pool.
Attached Thumbnails 'Orrible 'Ouses-1988_396_frontgarden.jpg  
Old May 19th 2004, 11:48 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Dad went straight into renovating the kitchen. Discovered old floor boors under linoleum or something
Attached Thumbnails 'Orrible 'Ouses-1988_417_kitchen.jpg  
Old May 19th 2004, 11:56 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

This was the house of friends of ours in Bickley. The guy was a real estate agent in Kalamunda. Later they moved down to Bridgetown(first house my dad built, second a really old good one like I will be posting later). Now they live in Australind(just above Bunbury). They needed to be closer to Perth for teenage son who's training as a professional tennisser. Daughter got a scholarship(?) and moved to US, still there.

Really nice old house, with huge garden(pool, pond, stream running through)
Attached Thumbnails 'Orrible 'Ouses-1990_60_bickley.jpg  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.