Wikiposts

'Orrible 'Ouses

Old May 19th 2004, 12:17 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
:scared: :scared:

ABC, there is plenty of space for pool/boat etc without having a huge great bloody garage at the front :lecture: .

Grayling, I can imagine exactly what they are like, when I drive into the city or north up to the SC all you see is a sea of roofs . Makes me shudder LOL. there are places in Brisbane that I wouldnt live if you paid me, & its got nothing to do with the people who live there or how *good* the area is.

We dont seem to get many of the "get a new life" programs here, possibly something about praching to the converted?
The idea is to have the boat in the driveway to show off to the neighbours. The DLUG is for the his and hers 4wds that never make an unsealed road.
Old May 19th 2004, 12:18 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Cadabra, thats the whole point, why do you have to modernise it?

Makes me want to when people either knock down beautiful old houses or gut them & make them modern inside .

edited : sorry, not new, but *modern*
Yeah, you have to rip out all that old woodwork, and put some decent plasterboard sheeting up in its place, looks much nicer then

Now dashing for cover away from Mrs D ..

Old May 19th 2004, 12:20 pm
Location.. in my office

cadabra is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, maybe you dont have to modernise them, but who wants to live in a house that has outdated wiring (also can be dangerous), drafty rooms, inadequate heating, dysfunctional plumbing and crumbling plaster?
All these things were present in the first house i rented when i came to Australia. Admittedly, the style and design of the house was lovely, but living in it was horrendous.
Old May 19th 2004, 12:20 pm

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Yeah, you have to rip out all that old woodwork, and put some decent plasterboard sheeting up in its place, looks much nicer then

You are forgetting replacing the fireplace with mock granite and putting in aluminium window frames.
Old May 19th 2004, 12:21 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 'Orrible 'Ouses

Originally posted by bondipom
Planning here is highly corrupt.
I spent my teens living on Bribie Island. There was a creek across the road from our house where I could set a mullet trap and catch some poddy for a bit of flathead fishing. I could walk up the creek which was an outlet from a springfed swamp and wade waistdeep through the reeds. There was another major creek that that was also feed by the same swamp and spring where I could canoe almost to the middle of the island. When the water got so shallow you would touch the muddy bottom with the paddle and every now and then disturb a stingray, that would then rise from the bottom - in protest at being disturbed - with a flap of its wings and swirl the water and stir the mud.

I would paddle into the mangroves and tie up to a tree and just sit there or lie in the bottom of the canoe and listen to the crabs, plovers, the sounds of breathing of a living environment. I loved those places. The council was conservative in their planning and development on Bribie was slow. The developers got sick of the resistance to change and got elected onto council, rammed through their plans, and left.

The swamp was drained, the spring funnelled into drainage pipes, the creek across the road was filled in and houses were built on top of the spot where had I watched the poddys sneek into the trap to eat the bread. My beloved paddling creek was stripped of mangroves, the whole site enclosed in sand parapets so the destruction was hidden from prying eyes. The dredges finished the job. The canal front blocks were snapped up and the concrete seawalls ensured that no silt built up to allow the mangroves a chance of rebirth. You can drive your boat up the canals, where the sound of the outboards drown out the last gasps of that once glorious place.
Old May 19th 2004, 12:24 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond

I once bought a lovely 1930's semi in Derby. It had some wonderful 'proper' wood panelled doors.
Someone, in the past, had nailed plywood sheeting to them

Must have been fashionable at one time

I took the sheeting off but still had to fill all the nail holes before they looked right

G
Old May 19th 2004, 12:41 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by cadabra
Ok, maybe you dont have to modernise them, but who wants to live in a house that has outdated wiring (also can be dangerous), drafty rooms, inadequate heating, dysfunctional plumbing and crumbling plaster?
All these things were present in the first house i rented when i came to Australia. Admittedly, the style and design of the house was lovely, but living in it was horrendous.

Cadabra, some of those things should be fixed ie the wiring, plumbing. As for the drafty rooms etc, thats one of the things you put up with to live in an old house. Nothing wrong with doing things to make them liveable, but ripping out a kitchen & putting in granite & stainless steel instead of one that is in keeping with the period of the house is sad.

I dont mind that you dont like it, but if you want *new* then there are plenty of *new* houses to pick from. But please, dont destroy the beauty for those of us that actually love *old* things . (btw, when I say "you" I dont mean specifically you, only people in general ). I agree with your first post, if new is appealing for you, then go for it!

Florida, that made me cry. I have similar memories
Old May 19th 2004, 12:47 pm
Location.. in my office

cadabra is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree wholeheartedly DB. That is why i do not wish to live in an old house anymore.
To destroy old houses by putting in "plastic" improvements wil never look right anyway. If you are going ot modernise and upgrade an old house, you will need a lot of spare cash to make it look good and authentic.

As for the drafts. I have arthritis and just couldnt bare it for long.

It all boils down to tastes and individual lifestyle needs. I think the older you get the less likely you are to want the hassle of an older house.
Old May 19th 2004, 12:50 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Florida
I have seen some lovely 'water meadows'. in the south of England destroyed in exactly the same way

Wild flowers, birds and common grazing rights have given way to featureless housing estates

Fortunately (not if you live there) nature has a way of geting her own back . Some of these houses now flood regularly and are becoming virtually uninsurable:scared:

G
Old May 19th 2004, 12:56 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Grayling
Florida
I have seen some lovely 'water meadows'. in the south of England destroyed in exactly the same way

Wild flowers, birds and common grazing rights have given way to featureless housing estates

Fortunately (not if you live there) nature has a way of geting her own back . Some of these houses now flood regularly and are becoming virtually uninsurable:scared:

G
I like to think we learn from the past. However, my experience is that Australian politics has entrenched levels of corruption that will see the continued, unabated destruction of the land I love.
Old May 19th 2004, 1:00 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Florida_03
I like to think we learn from the past.
Unfortunately, that, almost always, tends to never be the case, no matter where you are.

Old May 19th 2004, 1:06 pm

Florida

G
Britain has some tough choices about where to put the housing. Australia has huge expanses of land yet governments are very unwilling to plan the expansion of the cities and leave the developers to harrass and bribe them into place.

Britain does have poor planning however there is a great deal of effort made to keep what is left. Here the resisters are branded tree hugging greenies and dismissed. Central Sydney has realised this and the growth in green and independant politicians is great news. Sadly Labour and the Liberals have ganged up to stop the new polis from forming government in Marrickville and Leichardt.

I do hope the Greens and Independants get much more power here as change is needed to stop the blatant graft and corruption.
Old May 19th 2004, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

I like old, but in Perth you are not going to get anything old unless you have a million or so to live near the city so I am happy enough with our 8 year old box in th burbs.

Thing is though, why is it in decorating mags they have all these character houses with skirting boards, architrave and nooks and crannys

I still hanker after the country cottage thing with an overgrown garden, I think I'm in the wrong country..
Old May 19th 2004, 1:16 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DianeOZ
I like old, but in Perth you are not going to get anything old unless you have a million or so to live near the city so I am happy enough with our 8 year old box in th burbs.

Thing is though, why is it in decorating mags they have all these character houses with skirting boards, architrave and nooks and crannys

I still hanker after the country cottage thing with an overgrown garden, I think I'm in the wrong country..
Me too Di, Im going to be banned from watching programs like Location Location (UK version) by Dagboy soon cos I see all the gorgeous houses & cottages on there & want to move to the UK :scared: LOL.

You just dont get that sort of thing here, although Im hoping that when we go to Tassie next week I will be pleasantly surprised. Im sure I could get used to the cold down there .

Cadabra, yes, the getting older thing can be very true. But at 39 (almost 40 though :scared: ), I dont consider myself very old yet, ask me again when Im about 70 .
Old May 19th 2004, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Orrible 'Ouses

Hi all
Following the 'get a new life' prog last night.
I have not watched many of these shows and good luck to the family who were on last night.

Am I the only person who thought all the 'ouses were 'orrible ? Incuding the one they ended up in?

I have been in a few Queenslanders and older houses in places like Sydney but I thought the new houses shown were awful:scared:

I certainly don't see them as 'dream houses' whether they had a pool or not.

Am I alone on this one?

G
Your not alone. At the sunshine coast expats meet a few had been through the area where that show was filmed, Kawana isnt it? General opinion was the houses are crammed as close together as you can possibly get, you would hear every sound you neighbours make, most houses have a view! of looking straight into the neighbours house. Its awful in my opinion and that of others too, but someone loves it, a plot is about $320,000 upwards, ones with a public walkway in front of them but you can see canal water cost over the million just for the land. Then you have to build the house on top of that price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.