Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Origins of SE Queensland Names

Origins of SE Queensland Names

Old Aug 10th 2004, 3:45 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Origins of SE Queensland Names

This sort of thing interests me. I'm trying to find one for Sydney, but the first one Google threw up wouldn't load.

Anyhow, here's a great one for SE Queensland. <-- URL

Enjoy!

Last edited by Ulujain; Aug 12th 2004 at 4:42 am.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 4:08 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Origins of SE Queensland Names

Just a few off the top of my head that I know without looking, or searching:
Petrie - after a brit named Petrie
Albion - it comes from Britain, ancient name.
Doles rocks - (pronounced Dollies by Australians.. which is wrong! and get's up my goat... it is prouncenced as in Dole with an S) after a scot who settled the place

Some towns Ipswich have a few Welsh names.. can't for the life remember the place that someone in work thought was an Aborigine name..lol .. I had to tell him it is Welsh. named after one of the coal mining towns in S Wales.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 5:30 am
o_0

Originally Posted by Ceri
Just a few off the top of my head that I know without looking, or searching:
Petrie - after a brit named Petrie
Albion - it comes from Britain, ancient name.
Doles rocks - (pronounced Dollies by Australians.. which is wrong! and get's up my goat... it is prouncenced as in Dole with an S) after a scot who settled the place

Some towns Ipswich have a few Welsh names.. can't for the life remember the place that someone in work thought was an Aborigine name..lol .. I had to tell him it is Welsh. named after one of the coal mining towns in S Wales.
That'd be Ebbw Vale right? I've never heard Dohle's Rocks pronounced Dollies by anyone before. That's new to me. You sure it's a Scot name?; looks awfully Germanic to me.

Edit: Prussian according to http://www.ucaqld.com.au/~piula/Placenames/page20.html

Last edited by Ulujain; Aug 10th 2004 at 5:38 am.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 5:42 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ulujain
That'd be Ebbw Vale right? I've never heard Dohle's Rocks pronounced Dollies by anyone before. That's new to me. You sure it's a Scot name?; looks awfully Germanic to me.
nope he's a scot.. ever been right down Dohles rocks.. at the front of the river.. there is a statue dedicated it to him.. he's a scot.

Everyone around me I know in Brisbane pronounces it dollies... oooh it goes right through me it does..lol
No it wasn't Ebbw Vale the place I'm thinking of.. I wish I could remember it now, the guy who said it.. isn't here ... I'll get back to you on that one.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 6:05 am
Y Ddraig Goch

No - I'm wrong, I've just found this :
Johann and Catherine Dohle migrated from Prussia, 1863, and set up a timber business at Breakfast Creek. Much of the timber came from the Pine River area, and in 1903 they took up residence on land there purchased from Tom Petrie. In time, his sons, Henry and Johann Jnr, took over the business. They harnessed the power of the wind to drive a saw for cutting timber. They transferred their boat building activities to Dohle's Rocks as well. Later they went into growing sugarcane, pineapples and vegetables together with dairying.

. There is a statue dedicated to the man down at the river front right at the end of dohles rocks road .. I always thought he was a Scot for some reason. well I never
Old Aug 10th 2004, 8:20 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ceri
nope he's a scot.. ever been right down Dohles rocks.. at the front of the river.. there is a statue dedicated it to him.. he's a scot.

Everyone around me I know in Brisbane pronounces it dollies... oooh it goes right through me it does..lol
No it wasn't Ebbw Vale the place I'm thinking of.. I wish I could remember it now, the guy who said it.. isn't here ... I'll get back to you on that one.
Carnarfon?
Old Aug 10th 2004, 8:21 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diddy
Carnarfon?
I know this is spelt wrong, but think this is how Aussies spell it?
Old Aug 10th 2004, 9:52 am
o_0

Carnarvon?
Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:34 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

Originally Posted by Ulujain
Carnarvon?
Ta.

Writing more coz of ten character thing.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 12:22 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Abbotsford:

"Sir Walter Scott’s home near Melrose in Scotland was called Abbotsford, and the name was used, first for a land holding and then for a parish and for a road in the North Brisbane area to honour that distinguished early 19th century poet and novelist."

Zillmere:

"This was once known at Zillman's Waterhole, named after Johann Leopold Zillmann, one of the German missionaries brought out by John Dunmore Lang to establish the mission at Toombul, but who stayed on to farm in the area after it closed down. When the railway came through the name was changed to Zillmere by the Railway department."

Placenames of South-East Queensland: Abbotsford - Zillmere
Old Aug 12th 2004, 2:17 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Caernarfon is the correct Welsh name for it.. you are not wrong with your spelling of it's correct name in Welsh ( except you should have had an E in there) .It's the original Welsh name for it.
Caernarvon and Carnarvon are the anglicised/English terms mostly used by anglicised people in the UK.. most towns and villages in Wales have two names.. one Welsh and one English .. sometimes the anglicised version takes preference depending on the town. Like Swansea. Most people call this Swansea and not Abertawe.
Put a F in a word and it b*ggers some people up ( One F in welsh is a V sound in English) . And this is the spelling ( the English spelling of it) they have taken in Aus

Mt Caernarvon ( Aus) has taken the anglicised version .. the v should be an F if they wanted to name it by it's correct/original Welsh name - Caernarfon.

.................................................. .....

One for NSW - Swansea ( I used to live near there in Newcastle area) .. named after the original Swansea (Abertawe) in Wales.. I think there is also a Swansea in Tassie too. . It used to be called Pelican flat apparently in the 1800's then the name changed to Swansea ( the one by Newcastle) .

Last edited by Ceri; Aug 12th 2004 at 2:25 am.
Old Aug 12th 2004, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Found this website.

http://www.ourindooroopilly.com/oisuburbs.html
Old Aug 12th 2004, 4:42 am
o_0

Originally Posted by Jaykay
That's a good one too. The one for Sydney now seems to work.
And here it is
Old Aug 12th 2004, 12:13 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Like you, I love things like that. Thanks, it has now been bookmarked and will no doubt waste even more of my time
Old Aug 12th 2004, 12:23 pm
o_0

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Like you, I love things like that. Thanks, it has now been bookmarked and will no doubt waste even more of my time
I'll be tackling Melbourne next. Glad I could help out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.