Reload this Page >

Orientation Services

Orientation Services

Old Mar 31st 2005, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

Gavin&Liz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Orientation Services

Hi,

We've recently got our visas and are planning a "visa validation" visit to Perth in August 2005 with the whole family (including granny to babysit!). Although we are only looking to make the move in June 2008 now seems a good time to start seriously thinking about which state to live in, & then to identify schools (& put names down on waiting lists) and then that will pop out which suburb we live in. This is not a work relocation decision, but rather an opportunity to start a new life and move away from where the sun don't shine.

Our daughters are now aged 2 and 5 (they will be 5 and 8 when we move over in 2008). The elderst in currently in a private school here in the UK and our preference will be to get them into a good private school there (probably girls only). (seperately, I'd be interested to hear whether because we don't have any religous background that without a letter from the appropriate pastor this will be a problem getting into whichever school?). Proximity to the city is not a requirement. Ideally we would like to live near the beach (doesn’t everyone!)

Does anyone out there know (or have had a recommendable experience with) of an organisation that would provide me with a one day orientation service in each state to check out suitable suburbs and schools that may be appropriate. Meetings with schools would also be ideal in order for me to put my daughters' names down on waiting lists (or maybe that can be done later? – not sure if it helps to meet in person as opposed to via distant email).

Rather than cart the whole family around Australia on this fact finding mission I’ve decided to take a week out from our Perth holiday and fly by myself to each state (well Melbourne, Sydney & Brisbane) and spend a day with a relocation expert who will be able to give me the “guided tour” so to speak.

I know this is a lot to do in a short space of time, however I believe with the right organisation & planning I should be able to accomplish my objectives.

I will then have a week either side of this to do the same in Perth.

Any info on organisations that could assist me (& any idea what typical charges I can expect) would be greatly appreciated. Ideally I would like to work with the same organisation in all 4 states.

While I'm asking, does anyone have a list of the private schools in Perth, Sydney, Melbourne & Brisbane so I can get cracking in the meantime on my research.

I promise to share all info I gain on my return from our August trip!

Thanks in advance.

Gavin
(Yes I am a neurotic accountant if you we're wondering)
Old Apr 1st 2005, 1:04 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Orientation Services

Just so you don't think you're being all ignored and unloved, here's a reply (although not a very useful one )!

You could try looking on whitepages.com.au for relocation agents? May be a start?

Sorry not to be more help.

Welcome to the forum!

GG

Originally Posted by Gavin&Liz
Hi,

We've recently got our visas and are planning a "visa validation" visit to Perth in August 2005 with the whole family (including granny to babysit!). Although we are only looking to make the move in June 2008 now seems a good time to start seriously thinking about which state to live in, & then to identify schools (& put names down on waiting lists) and then that will pop out which suburb we live in. This is not a work relocation decision, but rather an opportunity to start a new life and move away from where the sun don't shine.

Our daughters are now aged 2 and 5 (they will be 5 and 8 when we move over in 2008). The elderst in currently in a private school here in the UK and our preference will be to get them into a good private school there (probably girls only). (seperately, I'd be interested to hear whether because we don't have any religous background that without a letter from the appropriate pastor this will be a problem getting into whichever school?). Proximity to the city is not a requirement. Ideally we would like to live near the beach (doesn’t everyone!)

Does anyone out there know (or have had a recommendable experience with) of an organisation that would provide me with a one day orientation service in each state to check out suitable suburbs and schools that may be appropriate. Meetings with schools would also be ideal in order for me to put my daughters' names down on waiting lists (or maybe that can be done later? – not sure if it helps to meet in person as opposed to via distant email).

Rather than cart the whole family around Australia on this fact finding mission I’ve decided to take a week out from our Perth holiday and fly by myself to each state (well Melbourne, Sydney & Brisbane) and spend a day with a relocation expert who will be able to give me the “guided tour” so to speak.

I know this is a lot to do in a short space of time, however I believe with the right organisation & planning I should be able to accomplish my objectives.

Any info on organisations that could assist me (& any idea what typical charges I can expect) would be greatly appreciated. Ideally I would like to work with the same organisation in all 4 states.

While I'm asking, does anyone have a list of the private schools in Perth, Sydney, Melbourne & Brisbane so I can get cracking in the meantime on my research.

Thanks in advance.

Gavin
Old May 1st 2005, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

AmandaJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Gavin
Hi Gavin

I can only speak for the Melbourne area, as this is where we moved to. We used a relocation guy that we found on this site - Melbourne Helping Hand. e-mail address: [email protected] . He has full info and references and various levels of relocations assistance from one hour meetings and info, to full orientation tours focusing on your personal requirements. We spent a full day, looking at various suburbs, info on schools, housing etc. Very reasonably priced and I can thoroughly recommend the service.

Regards
AJ
Old May 1st 2005, 1:23 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

...While I'm asking, does anyone have a list of the private schools in Perth, Sydney, Melbourne & Brisbane so I can get cracking in the meantime on my research.
For Private schools in Brisbane (and the rest of Qld) try this page from Education Queensland

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old May 1st 2005, 1:34 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Have you had a look in the "Marketplace" area of this website. This is where people are supposed to advertise their services. There is definitely one for melbourne in there and possibly one for perth.

Have a look at
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46
and scroll through the pages.

Regards
Alistair
Old May 1st 2005, 3:39 pm

Mastermind is on a distinguished road

I know of a relocation service in Adelaide. They offer all what you want and much more. It seems they have a good reputation too.

Drop me a PM if you want the address.

Cheers
Fred