Opinions on springhill brisbane

Opinions on springhill brisbane

Old Jan 15th 2008, 4:33 pm
cer
Just Joined

cer is on a distinguished road
Default Opinions on springhill brisbane

hi
I am coming over in march to brisbane to work at the RBWH and was thinking of staying in springhill as i believe it is close to the hospital.
Was wondering what it is lik and people's thoughts on it. I am a young female professional, coming over on my own currently looking at areas to stay in and apartments

Any info would be appreciated

Last edited by cer; Jan 15th 2008 at 5:08 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 2:11 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opinions on springhill brisbane

Hi there Cer,

Spring Hill gets a thumbs down from me.

On the map, it looks ideally placed being between the CBD and the RBWH.

The area of Spring Hill has some pretty clear physical boundaries. The rail line that splits Spring Hill from the CBD really defines Spring Hill as being separate from the City. Roma st parklands and Brisbane Grammar school cut if off to the west. Vic park to the north. To the east, crossing over Barry parade then brunswick st puts you in the valley.

Spring hill has a real mixed bag when it comes to housing. Old apartment blocks, new apartment blocks, workers cottages. The new apt blocks are located in the Upper Edward / Little Edward / Leichardt / Boundary st area.

There are a lot of hotels in the Spring Hill area, mostly old. There are no real shops to speak of. There are one or two pubs in Spring Hill, but this is not an area where people head to of an evening.

Around Gregory Terrace and the north-west part of spring hill, near the grammar school you will find the workers cottages and nicer houses. As you look at the accommodation further north and closer to Brunswick street, you will find that this varies from newly renovated queenslanders whose owners are trying to flog them for $1.5m (in their dreams) to old townhouses and cottages that are rented out.

Up the length of Boundary st, and also in the general Spring Hill area, there are numerous drop-in hostels and boarding houses that house people on very short term agreements. There is also a large st Vincent's / Salvation army unit in Spring Hill that provides a lot of beds for homeless men.

Brunswick st just south of the junction with Barry parade is home to several adult shops. This area in general is just inside the Valley but attracts a lot of undesirables. If I were a female nurse, I personally would not want to be walking from the RBWH into Spring Hill/Valley area on a regular basis, particularly not on my own & at night.

About the only positives I can think of for Spring Hill are:
1) its close to the RBWH and the City
2) there is a woolworths at the bottom of boundary street.

Sorry to paint a negative picture, but this is how I see it - and I live pretty close to Spring Hill, have seen several properties there, and have a fairly good idea of what its like.

If I were you I'd be considering the following areas:
1) Newstead / Teneriffe / New farm. These would be my top picks!
2) Kelvin Grove / Herston
3) Wilston / Windsor are also very nice

The above suburbs are all within 2-3km of the hospital, so very close.

Best of luck!
Old Jan 16th 2008, 2:43 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Good post mate..Bloody good description of springhill...
Old Jan 16th 2008, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

I have friends who live there and love it, it's soo close to the city, but they are still in a leafy street. They have not had a problem at all.

However, expect your insurance premiums to go up through the roof! It's well known that there a lot of weirdos about at Spring Hill. I think there are quite a few halfway houses there for people getting off drugs etc and also places for delinquent/homeless kids.

My car got broken into in Spring Hill by a group of Aboriginal kids who were hanging around up near the park - this was at about 1/2am. The police knew who they were but said there was nothing they could do about it.

I think if you are a professional women who is going to be out at work quite a bit anyway, you would be fine. It is a great location. I would probably want to live in a block of units though for the added security.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 8:58 am
cer
Just Joined

cer is on a distinguished road

thanx for every1s opinions so far.

Mark - im glad you gave an honest opinion and will look at the areas u suggested today. what r the prices lik in comparison
Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:18 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure...have a look on here:

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...n&snf=rbs&a=sf
Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:22 am
Account Open

ps - If you are not going to buy a car, check www.translink.com.au for public transport services.

I hardly catch buses/trains etc...so I really don't have any idea what the services are like from new farm, teneriffe and newstead. (though I reckon you'd be fine from wilston or windsor...but check just in case).

cheers