Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

opinions / help wanted

opinions / help wanted

Old Nov 30th 2006, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: opinions / help wanted

Originally Posted by cakeychef
hi all,
we arrived in perth on saturday from bristol, living in mt,Lawley until 6th jan. feeling a little dazed as to where to live.
first we went to Butler & thought not much there, Mandurah seemed like an old town trying to tidy itself up. Secret harbour seemed nice even though it felt like it was in the middle of nowhere once you drove out of the estate.

today we are going to Joondalup, ocean reef area. what are your opinions of these areas. we want a nice house but with some garden not just a patch of grass with a corrigated wall to next to the house!

we are looking at around $500,000 give or take a bit (hopefully take quite a bit) & what the f*** is the stamp duty about $27000 i was quoted on 1 property! i also found out you dont pat stamp duty on new build properties, found a nice showroom yesterday in secret harbour for £225000, was very impressed. except i felt i dont want to live in a sandpit until all plots sold, also more importantly i want the feel of a community - any suggestions?

does any one know of a soap powder that works well & actually makes suds?

also,does anyone know of any pastry chef jobs- not many in the paper yesterday, and what do people do on xmas day - any nice family restaurants around that have good xmas lunch with brits in as feeling a little lost?

any meet ups in perth area coming up?

thanks

simon. julia, lewis & chelsie
Welcome !! We came from Bristol too but have been here now for 3 months and are loving it. We love Mandurah but everyone is different, the main problem with new builds is that the current plot sizes are tiny for an awful lot of money and when you add rent on top of the mortgage (even if stepped) it all adds up !!

We are meeting up on Wednesday at the Dome on Mandurah foreshore from about 9.15am but it will be the last for a while as the school holidays kick in. If you want more info specifically about the Rockingham to Mandurah area try www.emi-great.com, loads of social stuff there too.