Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Opening bank account in OZ while still in UK

Opening bank account in OZ while still in UK

Old May 4th 2006, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening bank account in OZ while still in UK

Originally Posted by YoSemite
opened an aussie bank account (in australia) before i had a perm. address...

the guy who opened the account for us just got everything sent to the local post office until we could give the bank an address. Was no bother at all... but then again we were there in person so situation was slightly different
well i just had an email from ANZ who said i could open an access advantage account from the uk but i tried and it said i couldnt!! so emailed back and will wait and see what they say
Old May 4th 2006, 12:20 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of
Default Re: Opening bank account in OZ while still in UK

Originally Posted by anewlife
I know it is possible to open a bank account in Oz whilst still in the UK, but I can't find an account that will allow me to make withdrawals across the internet from the new account until I have 'evidenced' myself in person, and I have searched extensively. Does anybody know any different?

I want to be able to transfer some funds into an account in Oz in AU$ and start paying for things like rental deposit, rental security deposit and the such like. We emigrate in August and would like to do this asap.

Thanks for your help in advance!
as previously mentioned -HSBC thats who we went with. We never had an account with them in the uk and we asked our local branch for advice and got the kind of blank look I thought you only got from a saturday boy in B+Q however we contacted the HSBC branch in sydney by email and within a short time had account set up, card,chq book and pin no with absolutely no agg. and most importantly (as you will discover when you get to Oz) we dont have charges on the account either! we have eftpos (switch type card) and we have 5 free withdrawals per month-which you only need in an emergency cos you can get 'cashback' in most places. Our branch in WA have been more than helpful