Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Opening bank account in OZ while still in UK

Opening bank account in OZ while still in UK

Old May 3rd 2006, 2:09 pm
Loving the Sunshine

anewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud of
Default Opening bank account in OZ while still in UK

I know it is possible to open a bank account in Oz whilst still in the UK, but I can't find an account that will allow me to make withdrawals across the internet from the new account until I have 'evidenced' myself in person, and I have searched extensively. Does anybody know any different?

I want to be able to transfer some funds into an account in Oz in AU$ and start paying for things like rental deposit, rental security deposit and the such like. We emigrate in August and would like to do this asap.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Old May 3rd 2006, 2:34 pm
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Opening bank account in OZ while still in UK

Originally Posted by anewlife
I know it is possible to open a bank account in Oz whilst still in the UK, but I can't find an account that will allow me to make withdrawals across the internet from the new account until I have 'evidenced' myself in person, and I have searched extensively. Does anybody know any different?

I want to be able to transfer some funds into an account in Oz in AU$ and start paying for things like rental deposit, rental security deposit and the such like. We emigrate in August and would like to do this asap.

Try HSBC
Old May 3rd 2006, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

jamiecairns is an unknown quantity at this point

it is also possible with Westpac, although they advise that it is much easier in Oz...
Old May 3rd 2006, 2:50 pm
Living the dream!

crystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jamiecairns
it is also possible with Westpac, although they advise that it is much easier in Oz...
Commonwealth Bank do it and have a branch in London. Also ANZ and you can apply online.
Old May 3rd 2006, 3:23 pm
Loving the Sunshine

anewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud of

WOW

so many quick replies, thats alot.

So we have (in no particular order)

HSBC
Westpac
Commonwealth
ANZ

Okay, time to start looking again, I thought I had checked at least three of those banks, hhhmmm, I will post my findings.

Has anybody had any experience with these banks, is there a better bank from that list or are they all much the same?
Old May 3rd 2006, 3:58 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

HSBC allow you full access to your account without 'evidencing' yourself as you put it. They will provide you with a cheque book and a Maestro (switch EFTPOS) card with a pin number, which you can use as soon as the pin arrives.

You can register for and use telephone and Internet banking too. I have used it to send money from one account to another which has been fine.

The telephone banking is good - it's 24 hrs, though I'm not too sure where the call centre is The staff are very helpful and they even run a call back service for you if you leave them a message.

All in all, despite the moaning and groaning about Aussie banks, I've found my experiences with HSBC to be very positive, and I couldn't recommend them more highly (at the moment).

S
Old May 3rd 2006, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crystal113
Commonwealth Bank do it and have a branch in London. Also ANZ and you can apply online.
ANZ will allow you to open the account but you can't withdraw any money until they've confirmed your identity in person.
Old May 3rd 2006, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

neiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by marco121068
ANZ will allow you to open the account but you can't withdraw any money until they've confirmed your identity in person.
is it possible to open a oz account without a perminent address in oz i have tryed anz but they ask for a australian address
Old May 3rd 2006, 6:10 pm
PJA
Forum Regular

PJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by neiluk
is it possible to open a oz account without a perminent address in oz i have tryed anz but they ask for a australian address

Yes, we came across the same problem with Anz wanting a permanent address or telephone number. We emailed them and they said we could open a basic account with them whilst here. We've decided to try again whilst over there on a holiday end of May!!

Jane
Old May 3rd 2006, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at this: http://www.yellabrickroad.com/banking.html
Old May 3rd 2006, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Location: North East - planning to move to Southern Queensland
BillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by suzimc

We are in the UK and have just started setting up an Aussie account with HSBC. I queued for 40 minutes in my local branch while my 18 month old son tried to smash his way through the shop window while spitting raisons at the old lady in the queue behind us. When I finally got to the front of the queue I was helpfully told that we could have done most of the application on the phone in advance.

So....my tip is - ring first!
Old May 3rd 2006, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillandAbby
We are in the UK and have just started setting up an Aussie account with HSBC. I queued for 40 minutes in my local branch while my 18 month old son tried to smash his way through the shop window while spitting raisons at the old lady in the queue behind us. When I finally got to the front of the queue I was helpfully told that we could have done most of the application on the phone in advance.

So....my tip is - ring first!

Did that, they didn't have a clue

I will try again and hopefully get someone with a bit of sense
Old May 3rd 2006, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PJA
Yes, we came across the same problem with Anz wanting a permanent address or telephone number. We emailed them and they said we could open a basic account with them whilst here. We've decided to try again whilst over there on a holiday end of May!!

Jane
We opened an ANZ account when on holiday last year. Took about 1/2 an hour tops and we left having our internet access all sorted. Statements and stuff get sent to us in the UK.
Old May 4th 2006, 9:39 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
Did that, they didn't have a clue

I will try again and hopefully get someone with a bit of sense

Initially, don't bother with the local branches - generally they are pretty ill informed about these matters. You need to call the HSBC International Business Centre (Search this forum for a phone number.) They will send you all of the forms and the product information documents etc.

You then have to go into a local branch to have them verify your identification documents. The whole process takes about 4-6 weeks.

Hope this helps.

S
Old May 4th 2006, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

opened an aussie bank account (in australia) before i had a perm. address...

the guy who opened the account for us just got everything sent to the local post office until we could give the bank an address. Was no bother at all... but then again we were there in person so situation was slightly different

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.