Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Opening Australian Bank Account from outside Australia

Opening Australian Bank Account from outside Australia

Old Oct 7th 2009, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Leedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the rough
Default Opening Australian Bank Account from outside Australia

Hi,

I will be setting up an Australian bank account soon and am wondering which is the best bank to go with.

I was with ANZ a few years back purely because I saw more of their ATMs around the cities

I want easy access to my cash & low fees.

So any advice will be welcome.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Opening Australian Bank Account from outside Australia

Originally Posted by Leedelta
Hi,

I will be setting up an Australian bank account soon and am wondering which is the best bank to go with.

I was with ANZ a few years back purely because I saw more of their ATMs around the cities

I opened an account online with Commonwealth Bank from outside Australia. Its a very simple and straight forward application. Monthly fee is $4. You will also have online access to your account. However, you can collect the ATM card only after you arrive in Australia. Also, you can open Term Deposit accounts online and earn some interest on your money.

I did not go with Westpac because after opening an account from overseas, they require you to arrive in Australia within 4 months. Also, the account remains deposit only (no withdrawals) untill you arrive in Australia and physically visit a branch to verify your identity.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

canadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nice

ANZ also is a deposit only account until you can go in person in Australia to verify your identity. This is still the bank we chose as we opened the account 2 weeks before coming on a holiday. Got our ATM cards and everything sorted during our 2 week holiday.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 11:51 pm
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Leedelta
Hi,

HSBC for me. No fees and free withdrawals from HSBC, Westpac and St George's banks.