Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Opening Aus bank account in the UK

Opening Aus bank account in the UK

Old Oct 11th 2005, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

terrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really nice
Default Opening Aus bank account in the UK

Can anyone give us some advice on opening an account with an Australian Bank before we go? I'd be grateful for any pointers as to what's the best way to do this. Cheers

Nat (Mrs terrym)
Old Oct 11th 2005, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening Aus bank account in the UK

Originally Posted by terrym
Can anyone give us some advice on opening an account with an Australian Bank before we go? I'd be grateful for any pointers as to what's the best way to do this. Cheers

Nat (Mrs terrym)
Some Australian banks will allow you to open an account in the UK. There was a thread a week or so ago about the ANZ Bank which allow you to do this - but the restriction is that you can't withdraw from the account (i.e. make it active) until you have turned up a branch in Oz in person and provided the identification. Do a search on BE's - ANZ.

www.anz.com

I've opened and operated an account with the Commonwealth Bank via their London office.

www.commbank.com.au

OzTennis
Old Oct 11th 2005, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Nat (Mrs terrym)
Hi nat,
there are quite a few links to open bank accounts before going, we joined ANZ bank, just filled in the form that you print off online and then send it, a week later you get your bank details. you cant withdraw your money until you have gone into your bank in person, but you can pay in.
good luck

Trish
Old Oct 11th 2005, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

jeppy is an unknown quantity at this point

Nat (Mrs terrym)
yes as oztennis has said you can open a bank account in london which i did over the phone and paid funds into perth when we arrived then transfered it to th e local branch we went with the common wealth bank of aus and found them diabolical we had hundreds of thousands of dollars in an account to which they advised us to put into another account which paid higher interest to which we did three days later we had to pay a bill and tried through our new checking acc and we were told there were no funds , the bill had to be paid so we tried old acc to see if money was in ther and had not been transfered the transaction was com pleted and a week later we were charged about $30 dollars for drawing on money we nver had despite having nearly $400000 in an account we were charged the money had been sitting in origanal account for six weeks and they had explained it hadnt cleared it takes so many working days and while your money is in hyper space you dont get interest, thats only one story there are sveral more but the anz have the best name so far this year
Old Oct 11th 2005, 1:31 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I've opened and operated an account with the Commonwealth Bank via their London office.

www.commbank.com.au

OzTennis
Me too. They do get some criticism on here but I have had no problems with them on the UK side.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

terrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really nice

Ah yes, I didn't think to search for any earlier threads on this subject.

Thanks for your help on this.

Nat