Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Open University ?

Open University ?

Old May 8th 2007, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

storms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant future
Default Open University ?

Hi

Currently under taking OU degree course, no too far in just wondering if you can access OU from AUS, and if so is there good back up.

If not, is there an OU equivalent in out there?

Thanks for your help

Storms
Old May 8th 2007, 8:49 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Open University ?

Originally Posted by storms
Here you go:
http://www.open.edu.au/wps/portal

Gina
Old May 8th 2007, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

Hi

Currently under taking OU degree course, no too far in just wondering if you can access OU from AUS, and if so is there good back up.

Thanks for your help

Storms
You can continue your OU studies in Oz (provided you have signed up for the whole degree) but there are major issues around getting materials to you (have to go to a UK address), getting assignments in on time and, worst of al, needing to be in the UK for the exams. Hubby is finishing his degree in Oct so did a bit of research into this, just in case we made the move earlier. It is also really expensive as an overseas student and not sure that the tutor support is there from Oz (no tutors in Oz)
Old May 8th 2007, 11:52 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Talk with the OU as to the options. For reasons known only to itself, the OU is not very keen on students outside the EEA, unless things have changed recently. (there's no real reason for this).

As someone else has noted the issues include:

- where course materials are sent. It may be possible to have them sent to a non-UK address, but this would involve paying higher course fees
- not being able to attend tutorials (although they should be able to give you a UK-based tutor you can email or phone)
- end of year exams shouldn't be a problem, but you would have to arrange invigilation in Australia

There is no "Australian OU" but a number of Australian universities have strong distance learning operations. For example, University of New England, Deakin and University of Southern Queensland.

They might be able to give you credit for OU study, but usually you lose a lot of the "value" of your study when you look for credit for an incomplete qualification from another country. You should try hard to obtain your OU degree - even if it's only an ordinary degree - before you leave. How close are you to finishing?

Another UK distance learning option that does deal with Australia based students is the University of London: http://www.londonexternal.ac.uk
Old May 9th 2007, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Hi

Thanks for your help

Storms

Hi Storms

I am currently doing an OU course (UK) but I am currently in KL, Malaysia. Some points to note:

1. Material takes longer to arrive - I get it delivered to OH's office in London and then it is couriered out here.

2. You have to get your TMAs in at least a week, sometimes more, before the deadline due to postal service

3. You can't get to any tutorials

4. By the time I received a TMA back with comments the next one has already been handed in - so can't make use of any comments by the tutor until the next TMA

5. I chose a course which didn't have an exam just an ECA - end of course assessment (bit like another TMA).

I have thoroughly enjoyed it BUT it has been a hassle with the paperwork. My tutor has been very understanding. Not sure what I'm going to do when we move to Perth in July/August - would be interested in what you decide.

Best of luck

Galba
Old May 9th 2007, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

If its any help for others here is the Australian version of OU.

http://www.open.edu.au/wps/portal/!u...lVRS82XzBfMUJR

This is distance learning in Australia but run by various Universities. So called Open Universities!

They do plenty of good course and you could swap over to them I suppose.

GEMS
Old May 9th 2007, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

nzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nice

You might want to consider Massey uni in NZ. They offer most of their courses extramuraly and I know they are available to O'seas students although I'm not sure if their definition includes non Kiwis. You'd have to ask.

Did an undergrad dip with them about 10 yrs ago (before the net was really hopping) and they were bloody incredible to say the least. They had then about 18,000 extramural students and about 10,000 on campus students.

Overseas papers run about NZ$1100/paper plus text books. Exams are available at your nearest NZ consulate and they run an extensive support system for remote students. As far as I know papers can be submitted electronically.
Old May 9th 2007, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

storms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant future

Thanks guys for all the info

Took it on before we started the process, now we will be out in Perth early August.

Into second year, but only took on small credits this year as spent a lot of time working in Canada.

Once again thanks for the advice, something to ponder on.......

Storms