British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Oops - UK drivers licence still in maiden name (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/oops-uk-drivers-licence-still-maiden-name-493397/)

Tiggs+Graz Nov 12th 2007 2:03 pm

Oops - UK drivers licence still in maiden name

Hi all
I did try and search for this but cant find the answer

we are off to SA in just over 3 weeks and i remembered today that my drivers licence still has my maiden name (should have changed it ages ago but didnt get around to it :o) - and it is too late to do it now!

is this likely to cause a problem when i switch to an oz licence?

i have my birth certificate, marriage certificate and passport (with married name) so i can prove the name change

any thoughts/experiences welcome - i could do without having something else to worry about :ohmy:

sammyg Nov 12th 2007 5:44 pm

Re: Oops - UK drivers licence still in maiden name

Hi there:D

We had this exact same problem and the OH was saying not to bother - just sort it out over there. His theory was that if i had both passports one with the maiden name and one with my current name it should have been sortable when you get there?

Do you have any id showing your old name that you could show them when you get there?

BTW i ended up changing mine 'just in case' and as we had time to, but i'm sure you can sort it that end:thumbup:

sam xx

Sorry just realised you have all the documents you need - durrrr!!

cyclemark Nov 12th 2007 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz (Post 5545168)
Hi all
I did try and search for this but cant find the answer

we are off to SA in just over 3 weeks and i remembered today that my drivers licence still has my maiden name (should have changed it ages ago but didnt get around to it :o) - and it is too late to do it now!

is this likely to cause a problem when i switch to an oz licence?

i have my birth certificate, marriage certificate and passport (with married name) so i can prove the name change

any thoughts/experiences welcome - i could do without having something else to worry about :ohmy:

We had same scenario in WA and had to provide some more id. Turned out that a UK passport, issued by the UK government, with an Aussie PR visa in it, issued by the Australian government, was not enough. But the marriage certificate was. So you will most likely be fine.

Hope this helps.

Tiggs+Graz Nov 12th 2007 5:57 pm

Thanks guys :thumbsup:
i really dont have much choice now anyway - cant risk sending off documents at this stage :o - but it is nice to know that someone else has sorted it at the other end.

have just had another slightly worrying thought - i wonder what the hire car company are going to make if it :ohmy:

Wendy Nov 12th 2007 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz (Post 5546078)
Thanks guys :thumbsup:
i really dont have much choice now anyway - cant risk sending off documents at this stage :o - but it is nice to know that someone else has sorted it at the other end.

have just had another slightly worrying thought - i wonder what the hire car company are going to make if it :ohmy:

E-mail them and ask what they would require in these circumstances - then take the e-mail with you :D you will get told different things by different people at the transport office, I can guarantee it :sneaky::D

[email protected]

Tiggs+Graz Nov 13th 2007 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 5547048)
E-mail them and ask what they would require in these circumstances - then take the e-mail with you :D you will get told different things by different people at the transport office, I can guarantee it :sneaky::D

[email protected]

good idea :thumbup:
i think i will do that with the hire car company as well!