Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oops - UK drivers licence still in maiden name

Oops - UK drivers licence still in maiden name

Old Nov 12th 2007, 2:03 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Oops - UK drivers licence still in maiden name

Hi all
I did try and search for this but cant find the answer

we are off to SA in just over 3 weeks and i remembered today that my drivers licence still has my maiden name (should have changed it ages ago but didnt get around to it ) - and it is too late to do it now!

is this likely to cause a problem when i switch to an oz licence?

i have my birth certificate, marriage certificate and passport (with married name) so i can prove the name change

any thoughts/experiences welcome - i could do without having something else to worry about
Old Nov 12th 2007, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oops - UK drivers licence still in maiden name

Hi there

We had this exact same problem and the OH was saying not to bother - just sort it out over there. His theory was that if i had both passports one with the maiden name and one with my current name it should have been sortable when you get there?

Do you have any id showing your old name that you could show them when you get there?

BTW i ended up changing mine 'just in case' and as we had time to, but i'm sure you can sort it that end

sam xx

Sorry just realised you have all the documents you need - durrrr!!

Last edited by sammyg; Nov 12th 2007 at 5:45 pm. Reason: can't read!
Old Nov 12th 2007, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Location: ex-Lancashire, ex-Northern suburbs, Perth WA, now Switzerland
cyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
Hi all
I did try and search for this but cant find the answer

we are off to SA in just over 3 weeks and i remembered today that my drivers licence still has my maiden name (should have changed it ages ago but didnt get around to it ) - and it is too late to do it now!

is this likely to cause a problem when i switch to an oz licence?

i have my birth certificate, marriage certificate and passport (with married name) so i can prove the name change

any thoughts/experiences welcome - i could do without having something else to worry about
We had same scenario in WA and had to provide some more id. Turned out that a UK passport, issued by the UK government, with an Aussie PR visa in it, issued by the Australian government, was not enough. But the marriage certificate was. So you will most likely be fine.

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 5:57 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys
i really dont have much choice now anyway - cant risk sending off documents at this stage - but it is nice to know that someone else has sorted it at the other end.

have just had another slightly worrying thought - i wonder what the hire car company are going to make if it
Old Nov 12th 2007, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
Thanks guys
i really dont have much choice now anyway - cant risk sending off documents at this stage - but it is nice to know that someone else has sorted it at the other end.

have just had another slightly worrying thought - i wonder what the hire car company are going to make if it

E-mail them and ask what they would require in these circumstances - then take the e-mail with you you will get told different things by different people at the transport office, I can guarantee it

[email protected]
Old Nov 13th 2007, 12:58 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Originally Posted by Wendy
E-mail them and ask what they would require in these circumstances - then take the e-mail with you you will get told different things by different people at the transport office, I can guarantee it

[email protected]
good idea
i think i will do that with the hire car company as well!