Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Only going for the Beach or weather?

Only going for the Beach or weather?

Old Aug 19th 2003, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

porkchop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Only going for the Beach or weather?

Some on this forum (like Dotty) believe that most people moving to Australia are only going for the beaches or the weather.
I disagree, and believe that most of us are not that shallow.

I for one have a more important reason.
To watch the water go down the plug hole the opposite way.

Why are you going?

PC
Old Aug 19th 2003, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

steve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to all
Default Re: Only going for the Beach or weather?

I have seen the water go down the plug hole the wrong way, and it excited me enough to make me want to jack in everything and return to watch it permanently!!!!!!

I don't need the beach as I live in Poole, Dorset which has 7 miles of golden sand.

My main reason is so I can bludge off my brother for two years as he is sponsoring us then let Australia support me for the rest of my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jo

P.S. The majority of that was written in a sarcastic tone!!
You never can tell how some people take posts on this forum.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 10:03 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Main reason im going, is to be closer to my mother in law.

Hahahahahahahahahahahha !!!! Can't believe I just typed that !!
Old Aug 19th 2003, 10:04 am
Bubble blowing member

ohsohopeful is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by porkchop
Some on this forum (like Dotty) believe that most people moving to Australia are only going for the beaches or the weather.
I disagree, and believe that most of us are not that shallow.

I for one have a more important reason.
To watch the water go down the plug hole the opposite way.

Why are you going?

PC
Having watched the water go down the plughole at our hotel in Adelaide I couldn't honestly remember which way it would have normally gone down in the UK so it was a bit of a non event.

We are going because:

1) We liked what we saw of Queensland earlier this year and felt at home there. Plus there is so much more of Oz we have yet to see!

2) We want a healthier, more outdoor lifestyle

3) We want a smaller (or zero) mortgage

4) We want a change of direction from our careers in the UK and more focus on our time together rather than what salaries we can command and what car we drive etc etc.

5) We want to see if we can do it

6) Why not?
Old Aug 19th 2003, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

steve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to all

Pete, you are a brave man!!

I'm going to get away from mine, who's been a pain in the ass ever since we said we were applying.

Jo
Old Aug 19th 2003, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

That's EXACTLY why we came.

Otherwise why on earth would we have swapped living with polite, pleasant Canadians for erm.......Australians ?

(Bring it on Pete-Y and Florida)

BTW the water does not go down the other way. Have been having this debate with people in the Northern Hemisphere for years.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 10:10 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally posted by porkchop
Why are you going?
Couldn't wait to see what would happen in Neighbours before everyone else.

... that and the beach and the weather.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 10:23 am
Badge

One of the reasons I'm going is for the better quality of Rugby League and their NRL comp- if not their Union.

as a winger, I'm fed up with losing my boot in the mud in the rain and sleet...and not being able to get up to top whack..and watching all the centres drop the ball...

playing on a "racetrack" pitch in the winter sun is a back's dream!

did I say winger - phew thought I'd said whinger!

;-)

badgers

Last edited by badgersmount; Aug 19th 2003 at 10:38 am.

Old Aug 19th 2003, 10:26 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Default Australian Utopia

Dotty, this is for you as you were complaining that the forum had slipped to far into reality. Enjoy!

I'm going for the following reasons:

In Australia, the sun never stops raining
It also never rains in Australia
Australia is a crime free utopia, free from racism and other forms of descrimination.
I will be able to make my fortune in Australia and retire at 35.
I want a huge house with a pool, five minutes from the beach, for under £50000. I can get this in Australia.

etc etc

Mel
Old Aug 19th 2003, 10:43 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Sunlover

(Bring it on Pete-Y and Florida)

You put me in the same bracket as the great philosopher himself !

I feel honoured

Old Aug 19th 2003, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by PeteY
You put me in the same bracket as the great philosopher himself !

I feel honoured

Well apart from both being married to Aussie women, and being just a tad defensive of any Oz-crit, you have both chosen cultural icons as your logos which makes you obvious soulmates.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by ohsohopeful

4) We want a change of direction from our careers in the UK and more focus on our time together rather than what salaries we can command and what car we drive etc etc.
Actually we have never spent as much time at work or as little time together as we have since we moved to Oz.

And that's not because we are chasing the (non) mighty Australian dollar but rather because that it simply what is expected of you here if you want to keep your job.

My husband managed a department of 13 people in Canada, here he manages a team of 5 but they are expected to turn out the same volume of work.

Old Aug 19th 2003, 2:50 pm
Bubble blowing member

ohsohopeful is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Sunlover
Actually we have never spent as much time at work or as little time together as we have since we moved to Oz.

And that's not because we are chasing the (non) mighty Australian dollar but rather because that it simply what is expected of you here if you want to keep your job.

My husband managed a department of 13 people in Canada, here he manages a team of 5 but they are expected to turn out the same volume of work.

Point taken but we intend to either work for ourselves or only work part time and avoid the 9-5 drudge altogether
Old Aug 19th 2003, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We are going because I want to open -up a sanctuary for unwanted, neglected Koalas and Kangaroos. I have been told that I can earn at least $100 000 per year by being registered as a charity. That way we won't be dole-bludging just charity-bludging!!

No really we are going because we are absolutely loaded and want to be 2.5 times as loaded out there!! Oh no I forgot it is only people without money that go to Oz- oops I have applied to the wrong country.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 3:22 pm
Sydneysider and lovin it!

Dinky is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by PeteY
Main reason im going, is to be closer to my mother in law.

Hahahahahahahahahahahha !!!! Can't believe I just typed that !!
Excellent post! Had me laughing out loud in the office! My team now think I'm mad!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.