Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Only the Fit Are Welcome in OZ

Only the Fit Are Welcome in OZ

Old Nov 3rd 2019, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Only the Fit Are Welcome in OZ

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...dition-burden/

I am sure Oz is not alone in this attitude to migrants. Must be hard on families coming from countries like Pakisatn or Bangladesh where there is little provision "back home" foir children with disabilities.

I am torn between my distaste for Eugenics and my understanding why Oz has these rules.
Old Nov 4th 2019, 6:16 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Only the Fit Are Welcome in OZ

Originally Posted by scot47

I am sure Oz is not alone in this attitude to migrants. Must be hard on families coming from countries like Pakisatn or Bangladesh where there is little provision "back home" foir children with disabilities.

I am torn between my distaste for Eugenics and my understanding why Oz has these rules.
Why pick on Australia? Canada and NZ also have fairly stringent medical requirements.
And lets be honest, why should the Aussie tax payers pickup the bill for a new immigrants healthcare, be they British, American, Indian ir whatever. Pricey enough paying for our own healthcare.

This family were on temporary visas. The clue is in the name.
Old Nov 5th 2019, 12:21 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I am sure Oz is not alone in this attitude to migrants. Must be hard on families coming from countries like Pakisatn or Bangladesh where there is little provision "back home" for children with disabilities.

Interesting. Not sure it is about attitude as such. It will be about policies . Policies will be about supply & demand plus budgets. A step by step tick box exercise. Governments cannot afford to be or be seen as bleeding hearts even when it comes to refugees under severe duress. They have to instil a control so that whatever is apportioned by way of $ to a certain area - universal healthcare/education - is seen as being distributed evenly and fairly to those citizens of that country.

I can only speak for New Zealand. It has a set $ limit for measuring whether a child or adult for that matter will meet a health or educational standard within a visa policy.
We have had a few odd cases here which have ended up with a deportation . Also a couple of cases where there has been clemency . It is possible to ask for a reconsideration in the event of a visa being declined.
For the USA there was that case of the young person being threatened with deportation despite having acted as a medical guinea pig for years.

Tough one really. It is a step by step tick box procedure . THe applicants were likely advised to go to the press to help bring pressure on the Immy Minstry for an act of clemency. This may well work. If the family are actively involved in their community ( or a church group) that type of thing may also help sometimes.

The trouble with temp visas is just that really. They are temporary visas where the onus is that the person eventually leaves the country unless they can meet all criteria.

Old Nov 6th 2019, 6:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

These decisions are always hard - and there are no easy answers, but the reality is that the government sets out in clear detail the requirements (including those for health) for temporary and permanent visas - everyone knows (or should know) where they stand. It's truly sad for this family, but they are citizens of Bangladesh and not citizens or permanent residents of Australia, so the Australian taxpayer is therefore not required to provide social and health services to them

Eugenics is not an issue in this case
Old Nov 6th 2019, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Eugenics are those philosophies and policies designed to ensure a healthy population in generations to come. Came into disrepute in the 1940s but still a valid way of looking at public health issues, even if I find it distasteful.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 7:52 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Eugenics are those philosophies and policies designed to ensure a healthy population in generations to come. Came into disrepute in the 1940s but still a valid way of looking at public health issues, even if I find it distasteful.
Sure, I know what eugenics are but it is not applicable in this case, which is about the cost to the Australian taxpayer
Old Nov 8th 2019, 3:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

......because the Fed Gov just want fit and healthy migrants.
Old Nov 8th 2019, 4:00 am
Proudly Deplorable

Works for me
Old Nov 8th 2019, 4:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Read this:
How to QUOTE another person's post correctly!

BE works better when you use it - and it's common courtesy
Old Nov 11th 2019, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they do. Exactly the same reason why it's was so difficult to obtain a 457 visa over a certain age or why the retiree visa (whatever it's called) comes with a bunch of criteria about wealth.

Quite simply, governments are responsible for spending the taxpayers money and first and foremost it needs to benefit the taxpayer.
Old Nov 17th 2019, 4:27 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Beoz: >>
Quite simply, governments are responsible for spending the taxpayers money and first and foremost it needs to benefit the taxpayer.
<<

Quite.

Looking at the papers today - a boat person medevacced to Australia to have an operation to "put right" his lower parts after injecting his dick with some substance, has a record including violence and bleeding hearts are rabbitting on how the taxpayer should be responsible. Words fail...

Frankly I think most of us LEGAL immigrants would feel insulted that we went through medicals, blood tests, checks on our ability to pay for ourselves, in my case three countries' police reports and again in my case fork out tens of thousands of dollars to buy a visa when some would expect those breaking the immigration rules to be handled as honoured guests.

I can remember similar threads from years ago, and my asking various posters who appear to advocate allowing just about anyone entry up to a set limit, whether they arrive on a 747 or a log, what their policy is on the set-limit-plus-one who turns up - I have never had an answer.