Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Online TFN Application

Online TFN Application

Old Jan 13th 2004, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

jasonK944 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Online TFN Application

Phoned the Aus Tax Office this morning. Apparently if you are now living as a migrant in Australia you cant do the online version. This is different from what I previously understood. Has anybody else who's here know any better?
Old Jan 13th 2004, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

We had no problems using the online application process after we had arrived in Oz. This was about a year ago though.
Old Jan 13th 2004, 10:39 pm
settling in, finally

bawi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Online TFN Application

hi there

i applied for tfn over the internet a couple of weeks ago, am a temporary de facto, had no problems at all. got number few days later in the mail.
good luck
barbara
Old Jan 14th 2004, 3:24 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by bawi
hi there

i applied for tfn over the internet a couple of weeks ago, am a temporary de facto, had no problems at all. got number few days later in the mail.
good luck
barbara
I just looked on the ATO site for this and found:
Use this form to apply for or enquire about a tax file number for an individual. To ensure the integrity of the tax file number system, this form must be accompanied by original documents which prove your identity. As a result, you cannot apply for a tax file number online at this time. Your TFN will not be processed without the necessary Proof of Identity documents.

So, according to what I have read, uh uh, those of you that have applied online and got it, must be dreaming "scratching my head here"

Now that reminds me of a letter from the ATO to the Accountants once, it was something like "NEVER rely on what you are told by us as if WE (the ATO) are wrong in what we say, YOU will pay the penalties".

Old Jan 14th 2004, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

It works. Honest. You put in your passport number. It checks with DIMA if it is valid or not. Just try it.

The quote from the ATO site is regarding an application form, not the on-line facility.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 3:49 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by dracupg
It works. Honest. You put in your passport number. It checks with DIMA if it is valid or not. Just try it.

The quote from the ATO site is regarding an application form, not the on-line facility.
It may be worth putting the link to the correct place on the ATO site for anyone wanting to apply online.
The ATO site isn't the easiest to navigate, and that page I found says "you cannot apply for a tax file number online at this time. Some people will think it means it

And, as Jason found, some Tax Office employees think you can't do it.

Always smile at the ATO.....

Old Jan 15th 2004, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by jasonK944
Phoned the Aus Tax Office this morning. Apparently if you are now living as a migrant in Australia you cant do the online version. This is different from what I previously understood. Has anybody else who's here know any better?

well havent i got a story to tell???!!!!!!!!!!i landed in perth and went to the ATO office as it says u have to show original documents and the lady at the bank insisted that we have to do it in person. I did so and realised that they did not open over xmas hols for about 10 day????!!!!!
then when the ato was finally open, we went in and was tld just to do on the inetrnet( great so why did i bother coming all the way here??)
so my husband sorted his out no problem then came my turn and my details did not match????!!! and the visa was in my name ( and my husband as on my visa???)
so after phone calls to DMIA in adelaide, trip to DIMIA in perth, i queued and was told there was nothing they could and i could not get a TFN???!! after some fuss he checked my details to find that according to th systems i was not in the country!!!!!! the guy at the passport control hadnt pressed enter ( as it was xams day ) - BUt how had my partner got in as the visa stated he should not be enetring here without me !! wht a pain and still not sorted!!!! while my partner just enetred his passport number and hes got it straightaway!!!!