Online presents

Old Jun 10th 2004, 8:35 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Online presents

Its my sisters birthday soon and I want to send her a pressie but dont want all the expense of having to ship from here in nz to the uk. Has anyone used one of the companies where you can select/order and send a gift from inside the uk via the internet. Am a bit wary of them but any recommedations would be great
Thank you
Old Jun 10th 2004, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

creamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud of

Hi Sky,
hows you then? Go to Amazon.co.uk, then aslong as you have the email address of the person you want to send to, you can pay for a gift certificate which, Amazon then will mail that person with a security number, and then your friend can go into Amazon and buy what they want with it.

Hope this is of help. We have done this in the past.

So, hows the condenstaion then! lol! Not too chilly today was it?

Have we set up a coffee yet with Paula?

cya,

Deb x
Old Jun 10th 2004, 8:54 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there
Im great apart from the streaming windows and the kids are all sick. I didnt have chance to ask paula the other night and as I wasnt at school today I havent seen her but we really need to get together for a coffee and a good goss. We could have at my house... what the hell, Ill even invite the dutch neighbour over the road she,s been here 10yrs so must like it lol.
Old Jun 10th 2004, 12:55 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by devonchick
Hi Sky,
hows you then? Go to Amazon.co.uk, then aslong as you have the email address of the person you want to send to, you can pay for a gift certificate which, Amazon then will mail that person with a security number, and then your friend can go into Amazon and buy what they want with it.
Or you could be more old fashioned and actually select something from Amazon and they will send it for you. I just did that for my sister's birthday and it was all pretty painless. I have also done similar for my Dad, sending him a bottle of wine from an online shop for fathers' day (an extra surprise since I now celebrate the Aus fathers' day, which is at a completely different time of year). I cannot remember the name of the wine merchant, but Waitrose offer a similar service.

The only downer is paying for goods in pounds - especially if you put them on an AU/NZ credit card, but worth it for the hassle free life.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Jun 10th 2004, 1:02 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

I was idly wondering something along the same lines....

When we get married next year, we'll be leaving for Oz almost immediately afterwards. I don't want to pay to ship a load of wedding presents across the globe, so I was wondering if it's possible to set up some kind of international gift list so that others can buy our pressies online and have them sent straight to Oz.
Old Jun 10th 2004, 1:14 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bundy
I was idly wondering something along the same lines....

When we get married next year, we'll be leaving for Oz almost immediately afterwards. I don't want to pay to ship a load of wedding presents across the globe, so I was wondering if it's possible to set up some kind of international gift list so that others can buy our pressies online and have them sent straight to Oz.
G'Day Bundy,

We had a wedding registry at Myers. I am sure you could set that up from UK with a bit of effort and then just arrange to collect all the presents from the closest store once you get here. The only problem might be selecting specific goods without seeing them - maybe you need a friendly local to go to Myer with a digital camera and a basic list of what you would like.
The real beauty of this is that as long as the pound stays strong, your UK friends and relatives will get more for their money and will all love you because they will not have to wrap up presents.

Cheers,

DagBoy.

PS. How is BundyMum?
Old Jun 10th 2004, 1:28 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DagBoy
G'Day Bundy,

We had a wedding registry at Myers. I am sure you could set that up from UK with a bit of effort and then just arrange to collect all the presents from the closest store once you get here. The only problem might be selecting specific goods without seeing them - maybe you need a friendly local to go to Myer with a digital camera and a basic list of what you would like.
The real beauty of this is that as long as the pound stays strong, your UK friends and relatives will get more for their money and will all love you because they will not have to wrap up presents.

Cheers,

DagBoy.

PS. How is BundyMum?

That's a good idea. Got plenty of people who could go and check out the items for us. I reckoned it must be possible and yes, it would mean our rellies get more for their money!

BundyMum is doing well, thanks for asking. Recovering from her radiotherapy, badgering the docs to let her go back to work, and getting over-excited about the fact that Mr B and I have set a date for our wedding (my ear still hurts from the squealing )
Old Jun 10th 2004, 11:14 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Online presents

Originally posted by sky
Its my sisters birthday soon and I want to send her a pressie but dont want all the expense of having to ship from here in nz to the uk. Has anyone used one of the companies where you can select/order and send a gift from inside the uk via the internet. Am a bit wary of them but any recommedations would be great
Thank you

Try Marks and Spencer:

http://www.marksandspencer.com/IWCat...&RestartFlow=t
Old Jun 10th 2004, 11:21 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by sky
Hi there
Im great apart from the streaming windows and the kids are all sick. I didnt have chance to ask paula the other night and as I wasnt at school today I havent seen her but we really need to get together for a coffee and a good goss. We could have at my house... what the hell, Ill even invite the dutch neighbour over the road she,s been here 10yrs so must like it lol.

We will have to get together, need to pick your brains! Have been asked by Jacks teacher if I will be a guest speaker for the class and probably other classes. They are doing a topic on immigration from Europe in particular English & Dutch. At first I thought that I wouldn't know what to say but now I 've thought about it I'm wondering if I will have enough time!

Paula
Old Jun 11th 2004, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

trehere is on a distinguished road

I have still been able to use all the websites I used to - Argos is great for pressie ideas and delivers the next day. All presents since we got here have been bought from Argos or Index - just use the address of the person you are sending the pressie to as the contact address as well as its fine.
Old Jun 11th 2004, 4:00 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Some places will only deliver to the address registered to your credit card (sometimes this only applies to the first time you place an order). Bit of a problem when your living other here and want delivery over there.
It helps prevent cc fraud.

Don't think it applies to most of the sites mentioned, but still it's something to watch out for.
Old Jun 11th 2004, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

creamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud of

unrelated issue!

Is Kiribilli a real place then? Sounds like a taratino film!
Old Jun 11th 2004, 5:40 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Online presents

Originally posted by sky
Thank you
I can only personally recommend this company (for flowers and food/wine hampers) http://www.bloomingbritain.com/, as I don't tend to order things off the net for presents. ( I do it the old fashioned way ) . so I have no other recommendations. I think it is a scottish owned company.. but don't quote me on that.

Early this year I used this company to order my mum a hamper for her birthday ( I clean forgot about her birthday until the last moment) . I ordered one of the hampers ( which was a like a lovely little picnic basket) which contained two bottles of wine( red and white) and some nice Scottish cheese and crackers... I ordered it on the Friday evening our time here.. and she had it on her birthday which was the very next day.

She said it was really nice.. presented really well. ( there probably are cheaper places out there than this.. but this is the one I used, and found them very pretty good.. no problems with them at all).

P.S .. about posting a lot, or big presents.. you may find it's cheaper with some of the courier companies, competitive rates. I used DHL instead of the post office to send a very large box of presents as a wedding gift ( it was a video camera) , plus I didn't trust the post office to be honest with you.. and it cost $90.. I have paid more than that with the PO for a smaller heavier package before now. So it's worth checking out a few of the courier companies rates... before posting with the PO for the larger, or heavier items

Last edited by Ceri; Jun 11th 2004 at 5:42 am.