Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Online Gaming in Oz

Online Gaming in Oz

Old May 6th 2005, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Online Gaming in Oz

Originally Posted by Stormz
I thought I was the only over 31yr old playing When I was a bratlet I was playing the oriinal Space Invaders arcade with the coloured strips of plastic over the screen to fake colour. Fave arcade was Elevator Action though, which is still bloody hard/fun on MAME.

My question though..... do the aus isp`s charge you for the traffic you download/upload while playing an online game???
nope, 33 next month and will still be playing for a long time.

Yes they do charge, I'm looking at an ISP that throttles after 40 gig/month peak and 40 gig offpeak (and then the throttling only applies to the over quota period) for when we get to Perth
Old May 6th 2005, 9:11 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Could you explain throttling please?

I`ve gotta admit that even though I design websites, am a huge geek and work in an IT-related filed, the Aus isp plans confuse the hell outta me. Spoiled I suppose after years of unlimited broadband access.
Old May 6th 2005, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Australia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare
nope, 33 next month and will still be playing for a long time.

Yes they do charge, I'm looking at an ISP that throttles after 40 gig/month peak and 40 gig offpeak (and then the throttling only applies to the over quota period) for when we get to Perth
I'm with NTL in the UK and i game a lot, i also surf and download a fair bit. I have a 30GB cap per month and i've never been over 15GB, usually average aroung 9gb per month. 40GB would be plenty
Old May 6th 2005, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

Could you explain throttling please?

I`ve gotta admit that even though I design websites, am a huge geek and work in an IT-related filed, the Aus isp plans confuse the hell outta me. Spoiled I suppose after years of unlimited broadband access.
no sweat, I'm a Unix geek working for Vodafone

Throttling - imagine having your hand round your bosses throat and you are throttling the crap out of him

They give you broadband speed up to your quota and then drop the speed to about 75k/sec
Old May 6th 2005, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Australia Bound
I'm with NTL in the UK and i game a lot, i also surf and download a fair bit. I have a 30GB cap per month and i've never been over 15GB, usually average aroung 9gb per month. 40GB would be plenty
that's good to know, I was with Telewest with unlimited broadband until I moved into rented accom last month and I never watched my bandwidth usage. I download movies and apps alot so I guess I use another 15 gig/month on usenet so it looks like 30-40 gig will be plenty including hosting my own websites.
Old May 6th 2005, 9:17 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare
Throttling - imagine having your hand round your bosses throat and you are throttling the crap out of him
oh yeah... am picturing that

on vodafone.... can I unlock a phone here for use in aus? Tri-band.
Old May 6th 2005, 9:42 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

33... still doing homework then... Im 34 ;-)

You can unlock triband in uk and over here buy a sim card for pay as you go. Vodaphone one I got here was 30$ including 30$ of free credit. If you're on vodaphone save the unlock fee and just get a vodaphone sim card here.

We should form a BE counterstrike clan bit of a bummer playing UK Servers from Aus though, ping rate would be horrendous (and vice versa).
Old May 6th 2005, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spalen
33... still doing homework then... Im 34 ;-)

You can unlock triband in uk and over here buy a sim card for pay as you go. Vodaphone one I got here was 30$ including 30$ of free credit. If you're on vodaphone save the unlock fee and just get a vodaphone sim card here.

We should form a BE counterstrike clan bit of a bummer playing UK Servers from Aus though, ping rate would be horrendous (and vice versa).
counterstrike clan sounds very promising, we'd all get butchered by kids tho :scared:

Did your Vodafone UK phone work ok with a Vodafone Oz sim?
Old May 6th 2005, 10:02 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

my phone was unlocked already - but guy in the vodaphone shop said it would work if was uk vodaphone.
Old May 6th 2005, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Australia Bound
I just installed and played the first mission of SWAT 4 last night. It's pretty darn good innit? I like squad based games. You played Brothers in Arms yet?
Yeah Brothers in Arms is okay although am starting to get a bit bored with it and still keep going back to SWAT4. Cant wait for FEAR to come out, that looks amazing (although as I darent play Doom 3 in the dark I think this will be a daytime only game!)....Stalker looks damn fine as well.
Old May 6th 2005, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

does anyone know of any online PC/component retailers in Oz so I can start speccing a new PC?
Old May 6th 2005, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

AdelaideBlue has a brilliant futureAdelaideBlue has a brilliant futureAdelaideBlue has a brilliant futureAdelaideBlue has a brilliant futureAdelaideBlue has a brilliant futureAdelaideBlue has a brilliant futureAdelaideBlue has a brilliant future

Its gotta be Pro Evo Soccer 4, surely the greatest ever online game! oh and halo 2.
Old May 6th 2005, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Ever play Wolfenstein? It`s much more idiot-proof than all the other fps`. Just a brilliantly designed online game. It`s free online too.

Wolfenstein 3d, Great game!!! It almost looks like you are walking in 3d. And whats more it runs on a 20 Mhz 486.

Whats this online mumbo jumbo you kids are talking about?

Cheers,
JTL
Old May 6th 2005, 12:55 pm
ah-beng

since admitting on this thread to being a too old gamer I cant get onto counterstrike because my wifi keeps bouncing Argh....

Online PC retailers in aus they do exist but if possi...... buy it in UK before you come. I wish Id brought my PC with me, ended up buying a high-spec Dell left my upgraded machine at home in last minute rush.
Old May 6th 2005, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
my wifi keeps bouncing

You need to tie her down with some kind of tether I'd imagine.

My wifi is fast asleep on the couch.

Cheers,
JTL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.