British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Online gambling in Queensland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/online-gambling-queensland-330683/)

Allan Oct 11th 2005 12:01 am

Online gambling in Queensland

Hi there,

Anyone migrated to the beautiful Brisbane and is now idling at home, contemplating of engaging some online lotteries betting?

BTW, is it legal in Queensland to bet/punt/gamble online with an off-shore operator, such as StarOdds? From what I read on that site, they do offer bank transfer of bets to ANZ Bank, i.e. you can place bets by transferring money from your ANZ a/c to their ANZ a/c and the same goes for collecting your winnings.

But the million dollar question is, as a Queenslander, are we breaking the law (local or federal) if we do the above? :confused:

Your advice is appreciated.

NedKelly Oct 11th 2005 7:04 am

Re: Online gambling in Queensland

Originally Posted by Allan

Your advice is appreciated.

Now, don't quote me, but this is what I heard.

The law in Queensland is that you are not allowed to place a bet after the event has started, be it a race, footbal match, cricket game etc. But most of the offshore online betting companies allow you to do just that. You can get odds half way through a cricket match for example. So if you do place a bet half way through, then that is illegal.

A bloke down the pub told me this so it must be true.

A dogs life Oct 11th 2005 9:05 am

Actually has something changed with online gambling in Australia? When I was here a few years ago, betfair.com was banned i.e. you couldn't even access the site from Australia.

I just had a quick look there now, and I can access it, and it knows I'm in Australia, so I'm guessing its become legal to use betfair in the last 2 years at some point? What about the other online sites like William Hill or Ladbrokes?

phoenixinoz Oct 11th 2005 9:10 am

Originally Posted by A dogs life
Actually has something changed with online gambling in Australia? When I was here a few years ago, betfair.com was banned i.e. you couldn't even access the site from Australia.

I just had a quick look there now, and I can access it, and it knows I'm in Australia, so I'm guessing its become legal to use betfair in the last 2 years at some point? What about the other online sites like William Hill or Ladbrokes?

Or [and it's just a guess] they allow you to place a bet for matches oversees but anything over here and you get disqualified [they can see from your IP addy]. Maybe they re-instated the site cos they were losing other trade as a result of not being to able to bet on the Aussie stuff:confused:

Anyways, what do I know. I only chose horses on't Grand National if they were ex boyfriends:eek: :D