Reload this Page >

Online gambling in Queensland

Online gambling in Queensland

Old Oct 11th 2005, 12:01 am
Just Joined

Allan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Online gambling in Queensland

Hi there,

Anyone migrated to the beautiful Brisbane and is now idling at home, contemplating of engaging some online lotteries betting?

BTW, is it legal in Queensland to bet/punt/gamble online with an off-shore operator, such as StarOdds? From what I read on that site, they do offer bank transfer of bets to ANZ Bank, i.e. you can place bets by transferring money from your ANZ a/c to their ANZ a/c and the same goes for collecting your winnings.

But the million dollar question is, as a Queenslander, are we breaking the law (local or federal) if we do the above?

Your advice is appreciated.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Online gambling in Queensland

Originally Posted by Allan

Your advice is appreciated.
Now, don't quote me, but this is what I heard.

The law in Queensland is that you are not allowed to place a bet after the event has started, be it a race, footbal match, cricket game etc. But most of the offshore online betting companies allow you to do just that. You can get odds half way through a cricket match for example. So if you do place a bet half way through, then that is illegal.

A bloke down the pub told me this so it must be true.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 9:05 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually has something changed with online gambling in Australia? When I was here a few years ago, betfair.com was banned i.e. you couldn't even access the site from Australia.

I just had a quick look there now, and I can access it, and it knows I'm in Australia, so I'm guessing its become legal to use betfair in the last 2 years at some point? What about the other online sites like William Hill or Ladbrokes?
Old Oct 11th 2005, 9:10 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by A dogs life
Actually has something changed with online gambling in Australia? When I was here a few years ago, betfair.com was banned i.e. you couldn't even access the site from Australia.

I just had a quick look there now, and I can access it, and it knows I'm in Australia, so I'm guessing its become legal to use betfair in the last 2 years at some point? What about the other online sites like William Hill or Ladbrokes?
Or [and it's just a guess] they allow you to place a bet for matches oversees but anything over here and you get disqualified [they can see from your IP addy]. Maybe they re-instated the site cos they were losing other trade as a result of not being to able to bet on the Aussie stuff

Anyways, what do I know. I only chose horses on't Grand National if they were ex boyfriends