Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

One year on report on the Sunny Coast

One year on report on the Sunny Coast

Old Feb 24th 2005, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Default One year on report on the Sunny Coast

Well it hasn't time flown, from worrying about the smallest of things and realise most things are easy to sort out when you get here.

We have been in Caloundra now for a year and can say that after, for me, about six weeks I was settled. For hubby it was sooner, bought himself a surfboard joined a local soccer team and off he went, I got to know people through that and now have a great circle of reliable great friends.

Before we came out I never analysed or expected too much so anything would be a bonus. I just wanted to be were the weather was nicer and I had more opportunity.

We love it here and love the weather, yes there are things that pee you off like the bad aggresive, near deadly driving, but that does not outweigh the chilled out ambience I find here.

Caloundra is quiet and you need to know people to think anything different but I feel thay you have to make an effort shy or not, to get involved with the community and life in general and make it happen for you. As something always leads to an oppurtunity to meet or have friends and work.

I wouldn't change anything and this was cemented when we went back to the UK and wished we could get back home and I mean HOME ASAP.

Have we made the right choice - without a doubt.

Good luck to anyone going through the visa process and or on their way over.

If you have any questions I will be happy to answer them as honest as possible, as I don't come on here that much anymore.
Old Feb 24th 2005, 8:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One year on report on the Sunny Coast

Really pleased you have settled in so well.

Just wanted to say big thanks for your "things to do parts 1, 2 & 3" you have no idea how many people you have helped
Old Feb 24th 2005, 8:48 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

After a bit of a drought, a nice positive emigration post . Glad to hear it's going so well for you - contemplate the fact that they're closing schools here because of the arctic weather-system that's squating over the UK at the moment.
Old Feb 24th 2005, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

I glad I can help, it saves people a lot of trouble. Thanks

C x
Old Feb 24th 2005, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi yes like we had the opposite kids didn't need to go to school becuase it was too hot. if only to be a child again
Old Feb 24th 2005, 9:02 am
Go dogs!

tbeb will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Carrianne
Well it hasn't time flown, from worrying about the smallest of things and realise most things are easy to sort out when you get here.

We have been in Caloundra now for a year and can say that after, for me, about six weeks I was settled. For hubby it was sooner, bought himself a surfboard joined a local soccer team and off he went, I got to know people through that and now have a great circle of reliable great friends.

Before we came out I never analysed or expected too much so anything would be a bonus. I just wanted to be were the weather was nicer and I had more opportunity.

We love it here and love the weather, yes there are things that pee you off like the bad aggresive, near deadly driving, but that does not outweigh the chilled out ambience I find here.

Caloundra is quiet and you need to know people to think anything different but I feel thay you have to make an effort shy or not, to get involved with the community and life in general and make it happen for you. As something always leads to an oppurtunity to meet or have friends and work.

I wouldn't change anything and this was cemented when we went back to the UK and wished we could get back home and I mean HOME ASAP.

If you have any questions I will be happy to answer them as honest as possible, as I don't come on here that much anymore.
Glad it's all going well for you. We've been here 3 months now and at the moment I have no desire to go back the the UK, and that's after getting our house flooded out after 'Cyclone Victoria' the day after our furniture was finally delivered!

Kids are settled in school and we have all made lots of new friends. I go to work each day and my wife helps out at the local school, so thats helps us to meet people. We've made most of our friends sitting outside the front of the house and drinking a glass of wine or a beer, neighbours just turn up for a chat with a few stubbies!

Haven't found the paperwork very difficult either, getting licences, housing, schooling, bank accounts, medicare, phones, sat, etc sorted has been simple.

Work is still as boring as the UK though, and if anything they tend to work longer hours here than in the UK, but then this is my first time working in a big city and I'm just grateful I have been fortunate to find work so quickly.

TBEB
Old Feb 24th 2005, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Carrianne

It is nice to hear a success story.

We are going through our process. My Dad and his Wife are already in Australia. 2 years after their arrival, my step-mum returned to the UK for a holiday. After week one of meeting family members and shopping at M&S, next etc....she was also ready to return 'home'.

It took a return trip to the UK to make her see how good her new life was! The possibilty of returning to her old life was something she thought about before her trip, but I think when faced with it.....decision made!

I only hope if we get to Australia we settle as well as you.

Regards

Nikki
Old Feb 24th 2005, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

CK2B will become famous soon enough

Hi Carrianne,

Great to hear it's all going so well for you both, I think you've gone with the right attitude and made the effort to get out and meet people. Yours were some of the first posts I read when I found this forum early last year so its great to hear all your hard work (and lists) paid off, we're hopefully coming to the end of our visa application now too and your lists are stored ready for action!

Keep us posted,
CK
Old Feb 24th 2005, 9:18 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Carianne, so glad to here you've settled well, it's nice to know the dream is working for you. Caloundra is an area we think we'll end up at. We have relatives on gold coast in runaway bay and labrador, also on sunshine coast in mooloolah-which is much more appealing to us although mooloolah itself is a little remote. We have been in to Caloundra, it's where sis-in-law works and I think it looks spot on, so maybe see you out there late this year.
Marie
Old Feb 24th 2005, 9:43 am
Is anyone listening

halflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nice

Thanks for all the hard work that you put in things to do parts 1, 2 and 3, and I am glad that you are all settled and happy. well done

halflinggirl
Old Feb 24th 2005, 9:56 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Really good to hear you're settled Carrianne.....you sound really 'chilled' & happy And can I repeat what moneypen said....your info parts 1,2 & 3 were fab!

Petra
Old Feb 24th 2005, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Great thread really pleased to hear you have really settled.
You have no need I suppose to come on here that much anymore as all the waiting etc is over and your getting on with your life.
May it continue!
Best Wishes Dreamaway
Old Feb 24th 2005, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Janice Richardson is an unknown quantity at this point

Again great to hear a positive vibe - there seemt to have been quite a lot of negatives lately which i have been reading.
We are still at the skills assessment stage and argueing with a teenage daughter who really doesn t want to even think about being in Oz at the minute!! Can anyone give me something great to tell her about how her life will be soooooo much better over there?
Also , ....these " to do lists" i seem to have missed them - can anyone point me in the right direction on where to find them?
Thanks a lot and great to hear you re doing so well !!
Old Feb 24th 2005, 10:49 am
Is anyone listening

halflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Janice Richardson
Again great to hear a positive vibe - there seemt to have been quite a lot of negatives lately which i have been reading.
We are still at the skills assessment stage and argueing with a teenage daughter who really doesn t want to even think about being in Oz at the minute!! Can anyone give me something great to tell her about how her life will be soooooo much better over there?
Also , ....these " to do lists" i seem to have missed them - can anyone point me in the right direction on where to find them?
Thanks a lot and great to hear you re doing so well !!
Janice

I found them by going up to Carrianne's post clicking on her name and then picking the choice that said something like see more posts by this person.

Halflinggirl

c
Old Feb 24th 2005, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

I seem to be reading loads of positive posts about living in the Sunshine Coast- thats great cos thats where im off to.
Glad its going so well for you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.