Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is one year enough?

Is one year enough?

Old Oct 17th 2017, 4:13 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is one year enough?

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I agree with you in some cases but others who have been unhappy for many years, that's a different story
But still circumstances can dictate that a change is extremely difficult to bring about. If their only option to whinge and moan is on here so be it. It doesn't affect or bother me. I see BE as a release valve for whatever reason anyone needs it. Most of us are anonymous so our reaction causes less friction than real life friends/family.

As for the assertion from further up that BE tends to be doom and gloom, I disagree to a point. Happy people don't need to vent, unhappy people do so there will be more negative OPs but there are likely to be positive replies. Also it depends on the reader's frame of mind when reading something.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 11:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
But still circumstances can dictate that a change is extremely difficult to bring about. If their only option to whinge and moan is on here so be it. It doesn't affect or bother me. I see BE as a release valve for whatever reason anyone needs it. Most of us are anonymous so our reaction causes less friction than real life friends/family.
Indeed, circumstances often mean that a change such as 'simply going home' is impossible.

When one is stuck here because this is the only place they can earn enough to meet their financial commitments.
When one does not have the cash for a fresh start because of those commitments, has nowhere to live if one goes home, has no job prospects, due to age, illness and lack of money.
When one cannot tell one's own family how absolutely depressed one is because they already have enough issues of their own to worry about.
When one realises that the people here who claimed to be friends are no longer interested because one now needs support for severe depression, as well as increasing physical disability.
That's when someone needs a place like BE to be able to vent. Shame it now just gets called angst and hand-wringing, but at least it makes it clear that those of us wanting support won't get it here any easier than we will in any other sphere of life.

I mourn the passing of the old supportive forum, put to sleep several years ago.

As for the assertion from further up that BE tends to be doom and gloom, I disagree to a point. Happy people don't need to vent, unhappy people do so there will be more negative OPs but there are likely to be positive replies. Also it depends on the reader's frame of mind when reading something.
I find it an increasing issue on here that there is a bunch of posters criticising peoe for being unhappy, and whinging about rising prices, housing costs, political fights etc etc.......yet never telling anyone how good their lives here and wat they enjoy about the place.
If life here is so good for that bunch of argumentative sods, and they know who they are, why don't they tell people about the wonderful things they get up to that make it worth moving here?
Old Oct 17th 2017, 12:03 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Old Oct 17th 2017, 12:05 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Indeed, circumstances often mean that a change such as 'simply going home' is impossible.

When one is stuck here because this is the only place they can earn enough to meet their financial commitments.
When one does not have the cash for a fresh start because of those commitments, has nowhere to live if one goes home, has no job prospects, due to age, illness and lack of money.
When one cannot tell one's own family how absolutely depressed one is because they already have enough issues of their own to worry about.
When one realises that the people here who claimed to be friends are no longer interested because one now needs support for severe depression, as well as increasing physical disability.
That's when someone needs a place like BE to be able to vent. Shame it now just gets called angst and hand-wringing, but at least it makes it clear that those of us wanting support won't get it here any easier than we will in any other sphere of life.

I mourn the passing of the old supportive forum, put to sleep several years ago.

I find it an increasing issue on here that there is a bunch of posters criticising peoe for being unhappy, and whinging about rising prices, housing costs, political fights etc etc.......yet never telling anyone how good their lives here and wat they enjoy about the place.
If life here is so good for that bunch of argumentative sods, and they know who they are, why don't they tell people about the wonderful things they get up to that make it worth moving here?
Also
Old Oct 18th 2017, 3:47 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough and I have no problem with whinging and moaning about their lives - just calling it as it is

Agree that BE is not all doom and gloom but it is more negative than positive - especially in relation to Australia (I've always maintained this and nothing I see today has changed this fact) but it is what it is
Old Oct 18th 2017, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Because it will be seen as boasting by the resentful. But if you really want me to, happy to. Do you really want that? Does the forum really want that? Of course not. If the 6 o'clock news was full of cheery stories no one would watch. That's why you only get one happy story right at the end.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 11:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Because it will be seen as boasting by the resentful. But if you really want me to, happy to. Do you really want that? Does the forum really want that? Of course not. If the 6 o'clock news was full of cheery stories no one would watch. That's why you only get one happy story right at the end.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

A story with a happy ending is always good. I think it was Cresta (apologies if I got the wrong person) and the story about his grandchildren. It started off really sad, captured everyones attention, then ended happy.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 3:18 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Beoz
A story with a happy ending is always good. I think it was Cresta (apologies if I got the wrong person) and the story about his grandchildren. It started off really sad, captured everyones attention, then ended happy.
Yes it was Cresta. There's a big difference between people posting a good news story and a bad news story in that you can only congratulate a good one. Not much of a discusdion to be had. A bad one gets sympathy, support and advice. If a bad news story is posted, anyone who comes along with happy vibes about their lives gets shut down for being uncaring. If a good news post is made and someone comes along with a negative opinion the positive lot get made to feel bad for not understanding not everyone is happy.

Human nature to a point. Also a generalisation but the basic premise is correct.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes it was Cresta. There's a big difference between people posting a good news story and a bad news story in that you can only congratulate a good one. Not much of a discusdion to be had. A bad one gets sympathy, support and advice. If a bad news story is posted, anyone who comes along with happy vibes about their lives gets shut down for being uncaring. If a good news post is made and someone comes along with a negative opinion the positive lot get made to feel bad for not understanding not everyone is happy.

Human nature to a point. Also a generalisation but the basic premise is correct.
Yes the happy vibes do get shut down which is wrong, but there's a few of us who like to promote the happy vibes, especially on the topic of Australia.

If you were to read through this forum, you would think Australia was a miserable place.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Australia is the only country in the world where I can viably work the job I currently have.

Our lifestyle changed for the better when we moved here - and immeasurably so. If you don't like big cities and are very outdoorsy, you cannot beat this country.

My wife, who is from a major Western European country (but not from the UK or Ireland), is under-employed [due to qualification recognition issues] and that frustrates her. But she makes substantially more money being part-time under-employed here than she would make in Western Europe, fully employed to the correct level.

Australia is also one of the only countries in the world - in my experience - where the population is genuinely willing - even in cliquey small towns! - to give migrants a fair go and an open chance. Not just to say that they are, just as PC window dressing, and then ship migrants off to ethnically segregated banlieus or vororte as soon as possible. The town I live in, has many war refugees, a lot of them successful enough here that they own their own houses and are respected members of government and Shire Council!

Aged-care facilities are available to all, including the destitute. If you need to live in a high-care facility in your old age and have no money whatsoever - you will receive a place.

Nature here is amazing.

We will become Australian Citizens in January and will do so very proudly. Pass the beetroot!

As an Australian friend of mine - whose family has been here for 200 years - likes to tell me, Australia is "not bad for an old jail."

Last edited by carcajou; Oct 20th 2017 at 10:22 am.
Old Oct 21st 2017, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Australia is the only country in the world where I can viably work the job I currently have.

Our lifestyle changed for the better when we moved here - and immeasurably so. If you don't like big cities and are very outdoorsy, you cannot beat this country.

My wife, who is from a major Western European country (but not from the UK or Ireland), is under-employed [due to qualification recognition issues] and that frustrates her. But she makes substantially more money being part-time under-employed here than she would make in Western Europe, fully employed to the correct level.

Australia is also one of the only countries in the world - in my experience - where the population is genuinely willing - even in cliquey small towns! - to give migrants a fair go and an open chance. Not just to say that they are, just as PC window dressing, and then ship migrants off to ethnically segregated banlieus or vororte as soon as possible. The town I live in, has many war refugees, a lot of them successful enough here that they own their own houses and are respected members of government and Shire Council!

Aged-care facilities are available to all, including the destitute. If you need to live in a high-care facility in your old age and have no money whatsoever - you will receive a place.

Nature here is amazing.

We will become Australian Citizens in January and will do so very proudly. Pass the beetroot!

As an Australian friend of mine - whose family has been here for 200 years - likes to tell me, Australia is "not bad for an old jail."
What a great post! So pleased things have worked out for you.
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 1:45 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou

Nature here is amazing.

I should send you a big jar of my homemade pickled beetroot in January as a congratulations pressie!
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 6:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

How long have I got, me old mucker..
The problem I saw it always, was not negative posts but people who are negative via ignorance: their own helplessness.

Be is now a gang for a distinct minority set.
Old Oct 27th 2017, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

Must admit I get a bit fed up with the one line put downs. Constructive criticism is always preferred. I`ve been here since Dec 2008 and I dislike more about Australia now than I did then. I miss loved family and friends more having been back a few times and caught up with them. But I know the good outweighs the bad here and as soon as winter hits in the UK and you are graced with miserable work mates every day of the week, well the list goes on. I even miss those cold wintery days, when you snuggle up in a cosy pub or at home but I know the edge would wear off in a couple of days at most. And drivers, don`t get me started blah blah blah. When the Sun shines make lemons or what ever they say.