Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

one way vs return tickets

one way vs return tickets

Old Aug 28th 2006, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

The Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: one way vs return tickets

Originally Posted by jossy
Thanks Sue

Its good to know others have, was it questioned? I know when I went on a working holiday visa and have to have a return understandably but the long stay confused me with people saying you have to still prove you can return with a flight.

Glad to help

We weren't asked why we had one way tickets.

Sue
Old Aug 28th 2006, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

jossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Myself and the wife are ,moving to Oz in 6 weeks from Thailand. We have bought one way tickets. 20,000 baht. Less that 300 quid each.
Wow thats actually not much different to some of the one ways from here, is that ecomony or better class flight?
Old Aug 28th 2006, 10:08 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Wow thats actually not much different to some of the one ways from here, is that ecomony or better class flight?

Economy and flying with Qantas. Not really cheap i know.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

jossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Economy and flying with Qantas. Not really cheap i know.
Still probably quite a good deal, I have been told from friends who have come back from Thailand that flights aren't cheap from there

Good luck
Old Aug 28th 2006, 10:40 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jo.

There was no such regulation in force when we came out at the end of Oct 2004 nor for 3 other colleagues who came out during 2005.

It would not be logical to insist on return tickets for a long stay 457.....as Wendy says they would expire anyway.

Others have confirmed they are still booking on singles so I'm sure it's a red herring.

As a matter of note if it was a requirement it would be stipulated in the visa undertakings / obligations on the DIMIA website or in booklet 11, or on form 1196.....there is no mention of this on any of them.

However there is an undertaking for the sponsor to ensure that the cost of return travel for an employee (and accompanying family members) is met to return them to their home country. ie the sponsor has to pay.

On the reverse side of this an employers contract will often require the visa holder to pay back a pro-rata amount of any costs he has spent on getting you here should you terminate the agreement early.

Baggage ? Sorry, you'll have to use the boot sales before travelling
Very, very little chance of obtaining more than the normal allowance. Now, if you time your travel to arrive in the summer you'll only need sandals and G-strings.....oops, I mean thongs so you can safely pack your 400 pairs of shoes in 10 tea crates in the container

BTW if you applied online for the visa you won't have a visa label in your passport anyway.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bix
Hi Jo.

There was no such regulation in force when we came out at the end of Oct 2004 nor for 3 other colleagues who came out during 2005.

It would not be logical to insist on return tickets for a long stay 457.....as Wendy says they would expire anyway.

Others have confirmed they are still booking on singles so I'm sure it's a red herring.

As a matter of note if it was a requirement it would be stipulated in the visa undertakings / obligations on the DIMIA website or in booklet 11, or on form 1196.....there is no mention of this on any of them.

However there is an undertaking for the sponsor to ensure that the cost of return travel for an employee (and accompanying family members) is met to return them to their home country. ie the sponsor has to pay.

On the reverse side of this an employers contract will often require the visa holder to pay back a pro-rata amount of any costs he has spent on getting you here should you terminate the agreement early.

Baggage ? Sorry, you'll have to use the boot sales before travelling
Very, very little chance of obtaining more than the normal allowance. Now, if you time your travel to arrive in the summer you'll only need sandals and G-strings.....oops, I mean thongs so you can safely pack your 400 pairs of shoes in 10 tea crates in the container

BTW if you applied online for the visa you won't have a visa label in your passport anyway.
Wow thats great thanks Bix, loads of useful info, yip most things will be sold off before we fly, but just can't let go of the shoes etc.... can fill a tea crate and some

So if you apply online a visa is electronic rather than labelled I take it?

Cheers so much for your help

Jo
Old Aug 28th 2006, 10:54 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Wow thats great thanks Bix, loads of useful info, yip most things will be sold off before we fly, but just can't let go of the shoes etc.... can fill a tea crate and some

So if you apply online a visa is electronic rather than labelled I take it?

Cheers so much for your help

Jo
Yes. It's basically an emailed Word letter from your case officer that confirms your visa has been granted. You present this with your passport when you arrive in the Australian passport control.

Make sure you check it with a toothcomb as they forgot to quote our passport numbers on the letter. Luckily I spotted it and they sent a revised letter.

Once you are in Aus you have 28 days / 1 month (?) to go along to the nearest DIMIA office to get the official visa label put in your passport.

But I still think those shoes gotta go