British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   One way or return? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/one-way-return-409803/)

Auzziebound Nov 23rd 2006 8:54 pm

One way or return?

A guy at work is just about to head off to NZ. He has a 6 mths working visa and will shortly be granted his PR. However he was told he required a return ticket due to not yet having his PR.

My question is when my parents head out on a CPV (173) 2yr temp visa, will they have to purchase a return ticket or will a one-way be ok?

I think a one-way should be ok but wondered if anyone can confirm this.

Cheers
Jane

Quokka Nov 23rd 2006 9:40 pm

Re: One way or return?

Originally Posted by Auzziebound
A guy at work is just about to head off to NZ. He has a 6 mths working visa and will shortly be granted his PR. However he was told he required a return ticket due to not yet having his PR.

My question is when my parents head out on a CPV (173) 2yr temp visa, will they have to purchase a return ticket or will a one-way be ok?

Cheers
Jane

I may be wrong, but I don't think you can buy a return ticket thats valid for two years

wayne/kerrie Nov 23rd 2006 9:49 pm

no you cannot purchase a return ticket for two years max is a year :)

brissydeb Nov 23rd 2006 10:46 pm

Cheers
Jane

You can book a one way ticket as long as you can prove you have enough funds to purchase the return.

JAJ Nov 23rd 2006 10:47 pm

One-way is ok with this visa. However they should leave plenty of time for check-in just in case airline staff get confused.

Hannah-Banana Nov 24th 2006 10:05 am

OOOOoohh i never even thought of this!!!

I'm leaving the UK on monday 4th December with a one-way ticket to Sydney. I have a prospective marriage visa in my passport and i know its not permanent yet until we get married and i apply for the spouse visa - what effect is this gonna have on my leaving in 10 days?

Am i gonna get stopped when i arrive in australia?

I have a stopover in San Francisco too.
Didn't get a return ticket coz not planning to come back for at least a year or so - after we get married in June 07 i'll be putting the spouse application in straight away - my pmv runs out in August 07.
I have a letter from the celebrant saying when our wedding is so they can see i'll have enough time to apply for my spouse visa - shall i make sure i take that in my hand luggage?

I'm all scared now - panicking again!
Pollyanna maybe you'll know the answer to this? :confused:

Pollyana Nov 24th 2006 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Hannah-Banana
OOOOoohh i never even thought of this!!!

I'm leaving the UK on monday 4th December with a one-way ticket to Sydney. I have a prospective marriage visa in my passport and i know its not permanent yet until we get married and i apply for the spouse visa - what effect is this gonna have on my leaving in 10 days?

Am i gonna get stopped when i arrive in australia?

I have a stopover in San Francisco too.
Didn't get a return ticket coz not planning to come back for at least a year or so - after we get married in June 07 i'll be putting the spouse application in straight away - my pmv runs out in August 07.
I have a letter from the celebrant saying when our wedding is so they can see i'll have enough time to apply for my spouse visa - shall i make sure i take that in my hand luggage?

I'm all scared now - panicking again!
Pollyanna maybe you'll know the answer to this? :confused:

You'll be fine, you don't need a return ticket with a Pros Marriage Visa :) Its a visa which leads to PR, not a visa which requires you to leave Australia again after a certain time.

And if it makes you feel any better, the vast majority of Pros Marriage Visa holders ont he forum have come on one way tickets. :)

You'll be fine. Try to relax and enjoy - easier said than done, I know, but you've worked hard for this, nows the time to get some enjoyment out of it ;)

Hannah-Banana Nov 24th 2006 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You'll be fine, you don't need a return ticket with a Pros Marriage Visa :) Its a visa which leads to PR, not a visa which requires you to leave Australia again after a certain time.

And if it makes you feel any better, the vast majority of Pros Marriage Visa holders ont he forum have come on one way tickets. :)

You'll be fine. Try to relax and enjoy - easier said than done, I know, but you've worked hard for this, nows the time to get some enjoyment out of it ;)

Thank you!!!!!
Just had a momentary lapse in my panic-free state there! ha! You know how it is when you read something that you never thought of - it's like arrgghh!
he he - oh well back to making packing lists! Last day at work today so have all of next week to do the real work of getting ready to go! Eeeeekkkk! :scared:

Auzziebound Nov 24th 2006 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ
One-way is ok with this visa. However they should leave plenty of time for check-in just in case airline staff get confused.

thanks to all replies.

J