Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

One way baggade allowance

One way baggade allowance

Old Jun 21st 2004, 11:51 am

silvervfr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One way baggade allowance

Hi can anyone clear this up for me! I went into Austravel last week to look at one way flights going to Brisbane in September with a stop over in Penang, all of which was no problem except that I was told that I would not be entilted to the 40 kilo each allowance you normally get on one way flights because we were stopping over some where

Has anybody else come accross this? I don't want to fly straight on through as it would be nice to see some where different but there are five of us and I can't see that we will be able to keep the weight down to 20 kilos each!!Also with three children it would be hard going on them.

Nick
Old Jun 21st 2004, 12:10 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default Re: One way baggade allowance

Originally posted by silvervfr
Hi can anyone clear this up for me! I went into Austravel last week to look at one way flights going to Brisbane in September with a stop over in Penang, all of which was no problem except that I was told that I would not be entilted to the 40 kilo each allowance you normally get on one way flights because we were stopping over some where

Has anybody else come accross this? I don't want to fly straight on through as it would be nice to see some where different but there are five of us and I can't see that we will be able to keep the weight down to 20 kilos each!!Also with three children it would be hard going on them.

Nick
Bit Stupid really because I cant think of any Aircraft that is going to make it from the UK to Brisbane without running out of Fuel :scared: therefore it's gonna have to "stop" somewhere.

I'd call the airline direct and argue the case

Kala
Old Jun 21st 2004, 12:23 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the double allowance was given for the fact that you have the magic visa, not because it's one way. In which case, stopping en route doesn't alter the fact that you are emigrating and they should still allow you the extra allowance
Old Jun 21st 2004, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Off2Oz1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nick
We too wanted to stop off for a couple of days on the way, but I was told the same thing by Trailfinders. Unless you only stop to change planes/refuel, you won't get the extra allowance.
Old Jun 21st 2004, 12:51 pm

silvervfr is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess their argument is that the luggage will have to clear customs at your stopover then be rechecked once you fly on ?

Anybody know what the general charge per Kilo is by the airlines?

Nick
Old Jun 21st 2004, 12:52 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

I guess their argument is that the luggage will have to clear customs at your stopover then be rechecked once you fly on ?

Nick

That's got to be it. You'd think they could flag it on the airline's system though
Old Jun 21st 2004, 1:04 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Anybody know what the general charge per Kilo is by the airlines?

Nick

Should you got to check in with your baggage and it weighs more than your allowance then you will be charged there and then at a cost between £60-£110 per item over the baggage allowance.

It depends on the routes and airline

Another way it can be worked out is 1.5% of the highest 1 way fare per kilo over the designated allowance.

However if you can plan for it before you go The airline I work for charges £6.07 per kilo of cargo to Australia.

Cheers
Kala
Old Jun 21st 2004, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Gryff is an unknown quantity at this point

Nick

Well we had a bit of a "do" with singapore airlines...not with the fact we are stopping over (we stay in sing for 1 night) but the fact we are on a 4 yr temp visa...apparently this is not enough for 40kgs...but after a few emails we managed to swing it....on the below thread is our correspondence with singapore airlines....try the airline direct and see how you get on, it worked for us.

How to get 40kgs with singapore airlines!
Old Jun 21st 2004, 1:22 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought of going via the USA.

We have decided to go that way as you get 64kg per person standard.

cheers

TT

Nick
Old Jun 21st 2004, 1:31 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by TrickyTree
Have you thought of going via the USA.

We have decided to go that way as you get 64kg per person standard.

cheers

TT

It's more expensive though, isn't it TT? Although I guess you off set that with the cost of excess baggage.

Mind you, the thought of all those security checks going via the US....
Old Jun 21st 2004, 1:37 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

Originally posted by bundy
It's more expensive though, isn't it TT? Although I guess you off set that with the cost of excess baggage.

Not only is it more expensive the length of the flight will near on kill you.

Did it once that way and never ever ever again will I be going backwards round the world. It took me 2 weeks to get over the jetlag.

Kala
Old Jun 21st 2004, 1:56 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

It's not to bad really Bundy we are being quoted £550 + tax (one way).

We are also breaking it up by having stops in San Fran and Vegas (whoops there goes the proceeds of the house).

The more we looked into it the more it appealled to us.

Would not try it direct though as it does add a few more hours onto the total flying time.

TT

Originally posted by bundy

Old Jun 21st 2004, 2:37 pm
She's a bird, you know

We are also breaking it up by having stops in San Fran and Vegas (whoops there goes the proceeds of the house).

Would not try it direct though as it does add a few more hours onto the total flying time.

TT

You're right, that is good.
Old Jun 21st 2004, 2:42 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

TT
Thats a good price and with the stop off's it's well worth it..
HAve fun in Vegas, I got married there last year and it is a fantastic place, just make sure you've got lots of money etc.

If you haven't been before and want details on hotels etc PM me.

Cheers
kala
Old Jun 21st 2004, 5:24 pm
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

Hi - I'm flying at the end of August, one way with United Airlines via the USA, for £480 plus tax. I land in Sydney though (but a short flight from Sydney to Bris isnt much)
I've been give a 64kg allowance, plus 25kg hand luggage allowance!

Any good to you?

W.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.