Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

one for MR Mover

one for MR Mover

Old Jun 14th 2004, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default one for MR Mover

Hiya Mr Mover
We have decided only to bring our personal items and we will send them by air freight. Do you know if there are any rules regarding this as I know that the container has to be treated with insectiside. These will be boxes that are supplied to us by TNT. Also will we have to pay customs?

Thanks
regards
Debs
Old Jun 14th 2004, 9:26 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough
Default Re: one for MR Mover

Originally posted by debsy
Hiya Mr Mover
We have decided only to bring our personal items and we will send them by air freight. Do you know if there are any rules regarding this as I know that the container has to be treated with insectiside. These will be boxes that are supplied to us by TNT. Also will we have to pay customs?
This is not answering your questions at all (but then I'm not Mr Mover!) but are you sure you want to do that? Air freight is ferociously expensive as we've found out. Seems as though it costs more to freight things than they actually cost! Have you had a quote? (Actually if you have got a good quote then we might be moved to re-investigate that option.)

Cheers

MarkMyWords
Old Jun 14th 2004, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
This is not answering your questions at all (but then I'm not Mr Mover!) but are you sure you want to do that? Air freight is ferociously expensive as we've found out. Seems as though it costs more to freight things than they actually cost! Have you had a quote? (Actually if you have got a good quote then we might be moved to re-investigate that option.)

Cheers

MarkMyWords
Mark
My stuff is not going from the UK. Someone gave me a costing of nearly $5000 US from here to Aus for shipping inc. customs etc. TNT quoted me $2500 usd for door to doo for 300 kilo.

I do not have enough stuff to fill a container and 20cuft is the smallest one they do from here.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 9:34 am
Brisbane 7th December

pocketdynamo125 is an unknown quantity at this point

To be honest, I agree with what's said above.
Air Freight is not a good way to send personal effects
Firstly the cost is high.
Secondly, in my experience (I work in the industry) customs clearance of personal effects sent by Air Freight is a real pain.
You will probably get hit by an admin fee as all personal effects undergo a formal clearance when sent Air Freight.
Also customs will likely examine the shipment and can assess D&T on goods they feel are not 12 months old.
Also, as a private shipper with no account with TNT you will probably be paying full list rate.
I would suggest either sending sea freight or speaking with a freight forwarder who will be able to send it TNT but with a better (cheaper) rate.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 9:56 am
Class 2 Guru

I do not have enough stuff to fill a container and 20cuft is the smallest one they do from here.
From the UK one can share a container. Could you not get a quote for that from, er, wherever it is you are (you talk of US $ but your location claims "somewhere in the Med"... don't tell me, the US has annexed Cyprus now!)? Sharing can be inconveniently slow though, as you may have to wait for a suitable sharer to turn up. Just a thought, as I expect you've gone into all this already!
Old Jun 14th 2004, 10:07 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Mr Mover

Thanks
regards
Debs
HI debsy , yes air freight is expensive, but depends who,s paying, most air freight deliveries we get into Adelaide are paid for through Corporate accounts, ie, Mitsubishi, gm, etc, as long as all your doc,s {b534] are correct ,you will have no more problems with customs than any one with sea freight, and TNT are a reputable company..................... MM
Old Jun 14th 2004, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

speissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nice

Mark
My stuff is not going from the UK.

Hi Debsy,

would I sound too noisy if I'd ask you where from the goods are to ship? And where to are they supposed to get shipped? Also what timeframe have you in mind?

Just interested because I'm dealing with the thought of shipping, too, have got a quote for shipping (container 20ft from Hamburg/Germany to Sydney), but wouldn't ship things right now, will first go to Oz in the end of June and start looking into shipping activities from Aug/Sept 04.

Anyway, don't know much about the conditions and obstacles with container-sharing at the moment (e.g. item lists, costums), maybe could be a real hassle to do. But it's worth a thought.

Regards,
Sonja
Old Jun 14th 2004, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by mr mover
HI debsy , yes air freight is expensive, but depends who,s paying, most air freight deliveries we get into Adelaide are paid for through Corporate accounts, ie, Mitsubishi, gm, etc, as long as all your doc,s {b534] are correct ,you will have no more problems with customs than any one with sea freight, and TNT are a reputable company..................... MM
Thanks MM. I will check out what docs I need.

Mark - most prices here are quoted in Usd or euro as the local currency had had high inflation rates in the past. I live near an ancient roman town on the med not too far from the birth place of Santa Let me see if you can guess

Pocket dynamo - my huband has a good relationship with the local tnt office as he uses them for business. I will try to investigate freight forwarders though
Old Jun 14th 2004, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by speissi
Hi Debsy,

would I sound too noisy if I'd ask you where from the goods are to ship? And where to are they supposed to get shipped? Also what timeframe have you in mind?

Just interested because I'm dealing with the thought of shipping, too, have got a quote for shipping (container 20ft from Hamburg/Germany to Sydney), but wouldn't ship things right now, will first go to Oz in the end of June and start looking into shipping activities from Aug/Sept 04.

Anyway, don't know much about the conditions and obstacles with container-sharing at the moment (e.g. item lists, costums), maybe could be a real hassle to do. But it's worth a thought.

Regards,
Sonja
Sorry Sonja
I am not in Gemany. Maybe Simone could help as she is in Holland and I think Mairi&chris also moved from Germany recently. Maybe they could help.

Good luck.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

speissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nice

Sorry Sonja
I am not in Gemany. Maybe Simone could help as she is in Holland and I think Mairi&chris also moved from Germany recently. Maybe they could help.

Good luck.

No worries,

I just thought, when you've been located somewhere in Germany, I could have offered you a space in the container to ship your stuff over!

Good luck, too!!!
Old Jun 14th 2004, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by speissi
No worries,

I just thought, when you've been located somewhere in Germany, I could have offered you a space in the container to ship your stuff over!

Good luck, too!!!
AAgh thats sweet of you. Thanks a lot
Old Jun 14th 2004, 11:15 am
Class 2 Guru

Mark - most prices here are quoted in Usd or euro as the local currency had had high inflation rates in the past. I live near an ancient roman town on the med not too far from the birth place of Santa Let me see if you can guess
Somewhere in Turkey?
Old Jun 14th 2004, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

Somewhere in Turkey?
Well, now it seems like you've attracted the investigatives ... speculations about your whereabouts!

Old Jun 14th 2004, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

AAgh thats sweet of you. Thanks a lot

You're welcome!!!

Old Jun 14th 2004, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Somewhere in Turkey?
You have been doing your homework then. Good boy