Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

One more Australian

One more Australian

Old Aug 15th 2006, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute
Default One more Australian

Hey there

I received my official letter today, welcoming me as an Australian Citizen. To all of you who have already done this can you tell me exactly what happens at the ceremony....I have heard so many different stories.

Although I am on a permanent visa it is a great feeling to know that I am an official citizen.

Going to have a couple of glasses of Australian wine to celebrate tonight.

Sharon
Old Aug 15th 2006, 4:53 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One more Australian

Originally Posted by BandS
Hey there

I received my official letter today, welcoming me as an Australian Citizen. To all of you who have already done this can you tell me exactly what happens at the ceremony....I have heard so many different stories.

Although I am on a permanent visa it is a great feeling to know that I am an official citizen.

Sharon

Congratulations to you

and enjoy your wine tonight, cheers
Old Aug 15th 2006, 5:12 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Hey there

Sharon
Congratulations - You become an Australian at the ceremony - that is the date you are official and will need to travel on an Aus passport as your PR will be null and void.

The ceremonies differ from place to place and so does the waiting time - I am currently waiting for mine but have a mate who went there and told me all about it. For me it will be an evening thing at which I will swear/affirm and get given my plant and certificate and eat lamingtons. It is the certificate you need before processing further. Did they tell you waiting times when you did your interview - ours could still be another 4/5 months!

We were hoping to get Sydney central for the ceremony and do the thing on Australia Day - but looks like it is going to be our local Council Chambers in Gordon - bit boring.

What are you planning if anything?

Cheers
Old Aug 15th 2006, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
Congratulations - You become an Australian at the ceremony - that is the date you are official and will need to travel on an Aus passport as your PR will be null and void.

The ceremonies differ from place to place and so does the waiting time - I am currently waiting for mine but have a mate who went there and told me all about it. For me it will be an evening thing at which I will swear/affirm and get given my plant and certificate and eat lamingtons. It is the certificate you need before processing further. Did they tell you waiting times when you did your interview - ours could still be another 4/5 months!

We were hoping to get Sydney central for the ceremony and do the thing on Australia Day - but looks like it is going to be our local Council Chambers in Gordon - bit boring.

What are you planning if anything?

Cheers
Thanks for that. I live on the Gold Coast and someone said it will be held at the Gold Coast Arts Centre.

Please tell me you were joking about eating the lamingtons. :scared: ..I can't stand them.

Sharon
Old Aug 15th 2006, 11:09 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hey there

Sorry to disappoint you, but you become a citizen when you attend a ceremony and take the Pledge of Commitment to Australia. Not a day before.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 11:14 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

So do we surrender our british passport once an australian citizen or can you be dual national??
Old Aug 15th 2006, 11:34 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wannabauzzienurse
So do we surrender our british passport once an australian citizen or can you be dual national??
You become dual, but you will need an Aussie passport to get back into Aus (if you leave).

Old Aug 15th 2006, 11:38 am
Banned

acbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: One more Australian

Sharon

Congratulations! enjoy the celebrations must be a great feeling
A
xx
Old Aug 15th 2006, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Congratulations.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 6:04 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. I live on the Gold Coast and someone said it will be held at the Gold Coast Arts Centre.

Please tell me you were joking about eating the lamingtons. :scared: ..I can't stand them.

Sharon
Noooooooooooooooo not lamingtons :scared: My brother-in-law and family had a sausage sizzle at their ceremony he never mentioned bloody lamingtons
Mind you they'll come in handy if we want to extend the patio

Loz x
Old Aug 15th 2006, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by loz
Noooooooooooooooo not lamingtons :scared: My brother-in-law and family had a sausage sizzle at their ceremony he never mentioned bloody lamingtons
Mind you they'll come in handy if we want to extend the patio

Loz x
There's no event that can't be improved without a sausage sizzle.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 10:17 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Sharon

Julie. x