Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

One month in Melbourne

One month in Melbourne

Old Sep 19th 2005, 12:25 pm
MVFC

Carl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the rough
Default One month in Melbourne

So, we arrived in Melbourne on 14th August and have been here for just over a month. To be honest we've never been in "holiday mode" as we have been busy getting things sorted, particularly as we were staying at my sister's house and had our little one to think about. By the end of the third week, we had bought a car, found a kindergarten for the little one and were set to move into our rented accommodation. Added to that, I had found a job and had to turn one down. If any sheet metal workers are reading this, you may be interested to know that at an interview I had with an agency, I was told that vacancies were not being filled due to a shortage of skilled sheeties.
So one month on and what has our experience been like? Generally we've settled pretty well. Our little one adapted amazingly well and seems to be loving it. The only thing he seems to miss are is toys currently on route from the UK. It's not all a bed of roses, I admit, but in my short time here, there seems to be a lot to like about living in Melbourne. I came here with an open mind having read all sorts written on this this message board and whereas some of the comments I can relate to, some of the comments by the doom and gloom merchants are complete b*llocks.
Anyway, for anyone interested, I'd like to share some good and bad points noticed in my brief stay here:
Good
Parks/playgrounds - wonderful facilities that you could only dream of seeing in the UK. There are lots of them too.
Locals - very friendly and helpful. Something you'd rarely find in Leeds.
Transport - very good train service. Our house is near one of the lines, so we're ok, especially as my wife doesn't drive. Not used the buses yet, but if one of you doesn't drive, you may be a bit cut-off.
Footy - the AFL variety. If you thought the Premiership got saturation coverage, you want to check the coverage and attendances the local football code gets. A great day out too.
Shopping - despite horror stories about supermarkets and clothes shopping on here, we've found that we're able to get everything we want. In Leeds we had an out-of-town shopping centre called the White Rose. Over here, every suburb seems to have one of a similar size.
Work - easy to get, especially in my trade. I was cacking my pants about starting my new job, especially as a foreigner starting at a new workplace having worked at my previous job for 19 years after leaving school. The welcome I got was really reassuring and have found it to be a more relaxed attitude and a sound bunch of work mates.
Bad
Driving - awful experience. No one seems to let you in when indicating and seems to be very dog-eat-dog. How I imagine driving in London to be like.
Graffitti - plagues every wall along the train line and buildings as you get near the centre. Ok, every city suffers, but it really does spoil Melbourne.
Dog mess - the locals don't seem to have grasped the concept of clearing away their pets' deposits. Having said that, I haven't seen any dog litter bins as seen in the UK.
TV - mindnumbingly awful. Sports coverage is good, but they seem to be fixated with crime programmes. Has anyone else had the "pleasure" of watching Inspector Rex?
Sorry for the long post. Just thought I'd share my experiences so far.
Old Sep 19th 2005, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

BettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: One month in Melbourne

Originally Posted by Carl B
So, we arrived in Melbourne on 14th August and have been here for just over a month. To be honest we've never been in "holiday mode" as we have been busy getting things sorted, particularly as we were staying at my sister's house and had our little one to think about. By the end of the third week, we had bought a car, found a kindergarten for the little one and were set to move into our rented accommodation. Added to that, I had found a job and had to turn one down. If any sheet metal workers are reading this, you may be interested to know that at an interview I had with an agency, I was told that vacancies were not being filled due to a shortage of skilled sheeties.
So one month on and what has our experience been like? Generally we've settled pretty well. Our little one adapted amazingly well and seems to be loving it. The only thing he seems to miss are is toys currently on route from the UK. It's not all a bed of roses, I admit, but in my short time here, there seems to be a lot to like about living in Melbourne. I came here with an open mind having read all sorts written on this this message board and whereas some of the comments I can relate to, some of the comments by the doom and gloom merchants are complete b*llocks.
Anyway, for anyone interested, I'd like to share some good and bad points noticed in my brief stay here:
Good
Parks/playgrounds - wonderful facilities that you could only dream of seeing in the UK. There are lots of them too.
Locals - very friendly and helpful. Something you'd rarely find in Leeds.
Transport - very good train service. Our house is near one of the lines, so we're ok, especially as my wife doesn't drive. Not used the buses yet, but if one of you doesn't drive, you may be a bit cut-off.
Footy - the AFL variety. If you thought the Premiership got saturation coverage, you want to check the coverage and attendances the local football code gets. A great day out too.
Shopping - despite horror stories about supermarkets and clothes shopping on here, we've found that we're able to get everything we want. In Leeds we had an out-of-town shopping centre called the White Rose. Over here, every suburb seems to have one of a similar size.
Work - easy to get, especially in my trade. I was cacking my pants about starting my new job, especially as a foreigner starting at a new workplace having worked at my previous job for 19 years after leaving school. The welcome I got was really reassuring and have found it to be a more relaxed attitude and a sound bunch of work mates.
Bad
Driving - awful experience. No one seems to let you in when indicating and seems to be very dog-eat-dog. How I imagine driving in London to be like.
Graffitti - plagues every wall along the train line and buildings as you get near the centre. Ok, every city suffers, but it really does spoil Melbourne.
Dog mess - the locals don't seem to have grasped the concept of clearing away their pets' deposits. Having said that, I haven't seen any dog litter bins as seen in the UK.
TV - mindnumbingly awful. Sports coverage is good, but they seem to be fixated with crime programmes. Has anyone else had the "pleasure" of watching Inspector Rex?

Good post....nice to hear it like it is!!

BB
Old Sep 19th 2005, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice
Default Re: One month in Melbourne

Sounds like you're settling in nicely. It's great to read a well balanced thread. Please keep us all posted of your progress. May I also ask if your wife is learning to drive? My husband would not let me leave the UK until I had my licence because he told me I would be isolated. I learnt in London and it is hellish driving here. In fact my husband never used to like driving around Melbourne due to the 'busy' traffic. Since driving around London for several years he now finds Melbourne very easy . I hope I find it the same as I'm a very cautious female driver

All the very best with your plans. kathy
Old Sep 19th 2005, 12:53 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

You know, I was just about to put in a new thread asking for some honsest info from someone in Melbourne - you read my mind.

Thanks for such an interesting, objective read.

herrchook
Old Sep 19th 2005, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

londonjas is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Carl

Myself and my wife are visiting Melbourne in November and looking to move out next year and its great to hear an honest post!

Living in London I was worried the driving would be worse but driving in Melbourne a few years ago it 'seemed' to be better, although that impression was only based on a few weeks driving....
Old Sep 19th 2005, 7:30 pm
Sarrob

Smile Re: One month in Melbourne

Carl

Thankyou for giving an honest view! We are hoping to head for Melbourne next year, so keep updating !

This made a huge difference to how I felt - last wekk I read a post by someone who really put the doom and gloom about.

Have you seen any schools or comments to make ? - your children are younger (?) because I am fretting about my 11 year old and want to make sure he settles and is happy.

Old Sep 19th 2005, 9:13 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Carl B
Glad to hear that you are enjoying Melbourne & may you long continue to do so!

(I have to say that I disagree with you about Inspector Rex, though!!)

Anya.
Old Sep 20th 2005, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Gethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura about

Great post

We are still undecided as to where we would like to settle (If we are accepted of course). We loved Sydney but the more we read about Melbourne the more attractive it looks. It has potentially come down to those two although the other major cities have their appeal.

Regards
Old Sep 20th 2005, 12:33 pm
MVFC

Carl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Sarrob
Carl

Thankyou for giving an honest view! We are hoping to head for Melbourne next year, so keep updating !

This made a huge difference to how I felt - last wekk I read a post by someone who really put the doom and gloom about.

Have you seen any schools or comments to make ? - your children are younger (?) because I am fretting about my 11 year old and want to make sure he settles and is happy.
Can't really comment about schools, as our son is only four years old, although the facilities at his kindergarten are far better than at his playgroup in the UK. What I have noticed is that the school kids we've encountered seem far more polite and well behaved than their UK counterparts. The times we've seen school kids in shopping centres or on trains, there has been no unruly behaviour or bad language present. A far cry from the nightmare of being on a bus in the UK as it stops at a school where the kids are going home.
Thanks for your positive comments. Will update in a month's time, probably.