One Month In!

Old Feb 28th 2004, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

ScuntoBris will become famous soon enough
Default One Month In!

Hopefully not too boring for you, but following some recent posts about people disappearing on arrival, thought we would chuck our 5 cents worth in. (Whilst deciding whether to go down to Surfers Paradise or up to Kings Beach, Caloundra.)

Steve(30) & Lorna (26).

Came home from work October, pretty pissed off and decided there might be more to life than Sunny Scunny, having been born in Aus, applied for spouse visa for Mrs. Gathered all necessary info and front loaded application, visa received within a week. During this time the house went on the market and sold to first viewers for full asking price, things were moving quick, told all parents who took it well, told work of our intentions once we were certain on what we were doing.

As there was only the two of us, we sold everything we had, family and work colleagues took most which saved having to advertise and show people around.

Booked flights with Singapore Airlines, good flight would definitely recommend, arrived Jan 29th. Have an Uncle living in Clontarf, Qld (40mins Noth of Brisbane) who put us up until we found our own place. Did a lot of homework on areas before leaving, rented a car and had a good ride round, we decided on Redcliffe Peninsula, and wanted to live near the coast. Trawled round the real estate agencies, submitted application for a place we liked, explained not working but would be prepared to pay 6 months rent in one go, if required but were told "not to worry about that" by the agent. Showed him a copy of our bank statement, and a copy of a reference from Abbey National. Accepted for the property same day. Plenty of rental properties about, but also a lot of people going for them was what we thought.

Could not move in for 2 weeks, during which time we shopped for furniture. We managed to get Bedroom furniture, 3 piece suite, fridge/freezer and washer delivered the day after we got keys.

Would have been very expensive, if we were hotelling it, saved a lot of money staying with family. (3 weeks).

During this time we have not been too worried about finding employment, although have applied for a few jobs, I have an interview on Monday and the wife has one on Wednesday. There seems to be plenty of jobs advertised in the Brisbane area.

We both have Medicare no's which were relatively straight forward to obtain, the wife has her TFN, I have had to send documents away for mine, because I am a returning Aussie Citizen (I only lived here a year from birth).

Also brought our dog which we can't wait to get (17th March); have to collect her from Sydney so will use this as an opportunity to be touristy. We used Golden Arrow Shippers who provided an excellent service.

During the month we have also:-

- Day 2 - had a Huntsman spider in the bedroom, just before getting into bed. Crapped ourselves, followed by killing it (sorry!)

- Purchased a brand new car (second hand ones appear expensive)

- Been to Sunshine Coast twice, Gold Coast once

- Cuddled a Koala and hand fed kangaroos at Lone Pine Sanctuary

- Endless shopping trips (which we enjoy)

- Been into the city for a look round

- Joined a local football (ooops, soccer!) team

- Booked our first horseriding lessons (next week!)

- Had a foot long lizard in the garden!

- Only been to one BBQ

Only a month in so the glasses still have a rose tint, but we like what we see so far. Having said that, if we decide it's not for us, we won't be ashamed to say, "gave it a go".

If you've managed to get to the bottom of this, congratulations! Any questions on anything, shoot away!

Steve & Lorna

Old Feb 28th 2004, 11:41 pm
ABCDiamond

It sounds like you are settling in nicely.

Old Feb 28th 2004, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
It sounds like you are settling in nicely.
Yeah, even wearing sandals which I could never have seen myself doing before!

Cheers mate
Old Feb 28th 2004, 11:54 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by ScuntoBris

Cheers mate
Yeah I know that feeling well ! I was a real shoes and socks man. Took me a while to change over, but now... I have been in sandals since Dec 02, and have only worn shoes and socks twice in that time.

Old Feb 29th 2004, 12:31 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Yeah I know that feeling well ! I was a real shoes and socks man. Took me a while to change over, but now... I have been in sandals since Dec 02, and have only worn shoes and socks twice in that time.
What?! No thongs ABC?!?!

Scun are you & the other half going to come along to the Brisbane expats meetup?
Old Feb 29th 2004, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

Waltzin_Matilda will become famous soon enoughWaltzin_Matilda will become famous soon enough
Smile

Your post really cheered me up, glad its all going great for you guys, best of luck to you both!
Old Feb 29th 2004, 1:29 am
Just Joined

cookie1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re : one month in!

Thanks for that balanced view! Must admit, as a relatively new member, (read for a long time) found that people seem all neg or all pos; difficult to get a balance.
Was it very difficult getting decent accom? Seems to be an abundance on internet, of fab 4 bed/2 bath with gardens very cheap. Is this all a gimmick, or are they all in really crap areas? Seem too cheap and too good to be true!!
Also, how easy is it to get decent furnished accomodation??
furnished
Old Feb 29th 2004, 3:03 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
What?! No thongs ABC?!?!

Scun are you & the other half going to come along to the Brisbane expats meetup?
LOL I haven't gone that far yet

My wife has bought me a couple of pairs, but I seem to lose them

cookie1, What do you call cheap ? Prices have changed during the last couple of years.
eg: a 4 bed house with study, 5 mins from water:
April 2001 $ 255,000
Dec 2002 $ 385,000
now about $500,000

But if you are talking rentals, then yes, they are cheap.
A $500,000 house, in my area, might rent for about $350pw
but a $300,000 one will get about $250pw

Furnished is another story. Not much around, and what there is, does seem to be expensive, as it is mostly short term lets.

Old Feb 29th 2004, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Re : one month in!

Originally posted by cookie1
Thanks for that balanced view! Must admit, as a relatively new member, (read for a long time) found that people seem all neg or all pos; difficult to get a balance.
Was it very difficult getting decent accom? Seems to be an abundance on internet, of fab 4 bed/2 bath with gardens very cheap. Is this all a gimmick, or are they all in really crap areas? Seem too cheap and too good to be true!!
Also, how easy is it to get decent furnished accomodation??
furnished

Agree with ABC, we did not see anything furnished whilst looking, in terms of renting we were a little worried having never rented previously, was not familiar with the process etc,

Had to answer a few standard questions, provide i.d. then I believe it us up to the landlord to decide who they want in their property (assuming that there is more than one applicant).

We are renting about 50 metres from coast for $285 a week, 3 bedroomed, one bathroom, lowset cottage, and have signed up for 12 months which the agent pushed for, but didn't mind as 6months will whizz by and didn't want to have to do it all again.
Old Feb 29th 2004, 6:56 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

eyup!!
nice post!
nice to hear it is going so well for you!!!
so....are you missing the foul scunny weather?????? freezing at the mo, and we are all under a snowdrift!!!!

keep posting!!

sue
Old Feb 29th 2004, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Not missing the weather at all!!!!!

Funny though when we got here we were typical Brits, the sun is shining get outside, that is not what we did, but was what our heads were telling us to do, but living with Aussies they just take it for granted and keep air conditioned.

Old Feb 29th 2004, 7:17 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you're having a fab time, just like we did when we arrived!
Glad to see your rose tints are still in place, some troll came and pinched mine while i was asleep last week, but i feel happier again now
Old Feb 29th 2004, 7:36 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by hevs
Sounds like you're having a fab time, just like we did when we arrived!
Glad to see your rose tints are still in place, some troll came and pinched mine while i was asleep last week, but i feel happier again now

did u ever get the DOONA?
Old Feb 29th 2004, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Dawn Adams will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by ScuntoBris

Cheers mate
Remember to take your socks off before putting your sandals on.

I am reliably informed used cars are more expensive in Aus because they last longer in better condition, don't suffer from salted roads etc.
Old Feb 29th 2004, 8:16 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
did u ever get the DOONA?
Doona cover???
nope, dibbed out!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.