Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

One for the larger ladies

One for the larger ladies

Old Aug 2nd 2005, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default One for the larger ladies

Ok being a larger lady, I was worried about larger lady shops. I have to say england is much better for this. I am bigger than an 18 up top, but around an 18 in the legs. The list below is of shops that cater for the fuller figure.

Crossroads
Millers
Target
K Mart
Wombat (upto size 20)
16-26
Myer

Now I must suggest that you try on everything as the sizes vary massively. Even within the same shop. Millers and Crossroads very often have a combined shop, you can get some quite nice clothes and I got a suit for interviews here. They are not super sexy/hip shop but excellent for work clothes and you can find some decent going out tops. Dont be put off with the look as it can appear to be a bit 'bon marche' but go in and have a look.

K Mart are crap and frumpy
Wombat are a nice but a bit pricey
16-26 is a bit like evans
Myer is a bit like M and S
Target can have some nice stuff

Very few do things in shorter lengths which is a bummer.
Hope this helps, I am sure there are more, please share with us cuddlies as we like to look nice too.

Jo

Last edited by joho; Aug 2nd 2005 at 10:22 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all
Default Re: One for the larger ladies

Originally Posted by joho
Ok being a larger lady, I was worried about larger lady shops. I have to say england is much better for this. I am bigger than an 18 up top, but around an 18 in the legs. The list below is of shops that cater for the fuller figure.

Crossroads
Millers
Target
K Mart
Wombat upto 20
16-26
Myer

Now I must suggest that you try on everything as the sizes vary massively. Even within the same shop. Millers and Crossroads very often have a combined shop, you can get some quite nice clothes and I got a suit for interviews here. They are not super sexy/hip shop but excellent for work clothes and you can find some decent going out tops. Dont be put off with the look as it can appear to be a bit 'bon marche' but go in and have a look.

K Mart are crap and frumpy
Wombat are a nice but a bit pricey
16-26 is a bit like evans
Myer is a bit like M and S
Target can have some nice stuff

Very few do things in shorter lengths which is a bummer.
Hope this helps, I am sure there are more, please share with us cuddlies as we like to look nice too.

Jo
Forgive me, but who n their right minds would go into a shop named 'Wombat up to 20' - actually, who came up with that name, did they just look at a wombat (and let's face it, it isn;t a sexy creature) and thought 'Yep, that just epitomises the kind the of clientele I want to enter my shop!' - that just sounds humiliating from the start! (PS I am a size 18 - creeping up to a size 20)
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coxfamuk
Forgive me, but who n their right minds would go into a shop named 'Wombat up to 20' - actually, who came up with that name, did they just look at a wombat (and let's face it, it isn;t a sexy creature) and thought 'Yep, that just epitomises the kind the of clientele I want to enter my shop!' - that just sounds humiliating from the start! (PS I am a size 18 - creeping up to a size 20)
Sorry didnt mean to cause confusion, its just called 'Wombat' I was just stating it goes up to 20.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 10:26 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

AGREE! I'm a *ahem* larger lady and I'd refuse to shop there on principal. I mean, why would you call a shop selling larger ladies clothing "Wombat"??? Perhaps they meant FatBat and decided to go with a more patriotic title!!
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
AGREE! I'm a *ahem* larger lady and I'd refuse to shop there on principal. I mean, why would you call a shop selling larger ladies clothing "Wombat"??? Perhaps they meant FatBat and decided to go with a more patriotic title!!
Oh so PMSL. On the floor right now - tears streaming down face. I have to agree - I would NEVER go into a shop called Wombat that was known to cater for women of the larger fraternity.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 10:34 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

You are surely not I met you and I can only remember you as being slim.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
You are surely not I met you and I can only remember you as being slim.
Yep, that was a couple of months ago and believe me alot has piled on since then

BTW how are things with you guys. when do you actually fly out?
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ok maybe Wombat is a strange name for a shop it doesn't actually bother me and I hadn't really thought about it. But I seem to have caused some confusion. Wombat isn't a shop for larger ladies, it goes from a size 6 (I think) and is mostly for slimmer ladies, but it does go up to a size 20 in most of its items.

Jo
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 10:41 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Yep, that was a couple of months ago and believe me alot has piled on since then

BTW how are things with you guys. when do you actually fly out?
Still waiting for visa before the house goes on the market
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
Still waiting for visa before the house goes on the market
We have our house on the market, even though we are in the early stages (only had the assessment through with main visa being lodged hopefully this week). Seems a good move though as we are having our 30th viewing on Saturday and to date not one offer!!

Sorry to hijack the thread guys.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joho
Ok maybe Wombat is a strange name for a shop it doesn't actually bother me and I hadn't really thought about it. But I seem to have caused some confusion. Wombat isn't a shop for larger ladies, it goes from a size 6 (I think) and is mostly for slimmer ladies, but it does go up to a size 20 in most of its items.

Jo
Oh okay, that does seem a bit better - a bit like New Look here that caters mostly for the slimmer beings of this world, but does go up to larger sizes as well. In that context I can see how 'Wombat' would work, although I can't see a shop called 'Hedgehog' or 'Badger' working quite as well, can you?
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh okay, that does seem a bit better - a bit like New Look here that caters mostly for the slimmer beings of this world, but does go up to larger sizes as well. In that context I can see how 'Wombat' would work, although I can't see a shop called 'Hedgehog' or 'Badger' working quite as well, can you?
No probably not.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 1:56 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to take you back to the original topic but my sister really liked "Be Me"
It's a part of Rockmans, I believe, that caters to big beauties and she loved SO much stuff in there. Casual to business to out-on-the-town stuff.

Siren
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

Hi

even less choice here in Adelaide!

No Crossroads, or Fatbat (Wombat), just the others!

There is also a My Size.

Millers tend to do marshmallowy type coulours, pinks, light blues, oranges, lime greens, etc. As do most others.

The problem I have is that I prefer to wear more natural fabrics - cottons, wools; but everything seems to be made from synthetics and I find that I spark like an old bumper car on contact with anything!!!

gd
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

I don't know if you already mentioned them but I'm more or less certain that David Jones has larger sizes as well. Sydney has several good DJs - I was in the city one today! It's not the cheapest place though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.