Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

one good one bad

one good one bad

Old Jul 5th 2004, 10:55 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default one good one bad

I'm sure I am not the only one who is a little bit miffed about all the slating of both Australia and the UK of recent and I think looking at a recent thread that it is having a real effect on people.

So why don't we all be honest and help everyone out by putting our fave thing about the country we are from and goin to and our worse thing, surely this is more constructive and helpfull for those still deciding if they are making the right move t doesn;t need to be materialistic it can be emotions or what ever. yes it is not indepth but it gives us al a chance to have a say on both the pros and cons.

I'l start

Fave thing
England my family
Australia my Hubby

worse thing
England boring but winter (hubby being Australian gets all moody if he doesn't see the sun for 2 days so you can imagine what he is like come January)
Australia the lack of jobs in my field where I am going to

Kala
Old Jul 5th 2004, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice
Default Re: one good one bad

Originally posted by kala
I'm sure I am not the only one who is a little bit miffed about all the slating of both Australia and the UK of recent and I think looking at a recent thread that it is having a real effect on people.

So why don't we all be honest and help everyone out by putting our fave thing about the country we are from and goin to and our worse thing, surely this is more constructive and helpfull for those still deciding if they are making the right move t doesn;t need to be materialistic it can be emotions or what ever. yes it is not indepth but it gives us al a chance to have a say on both the pros and cons.

I'l start

Fave thing
England my family
Australia my Hubby

worse thing
England boring but winter (hubby being Australian gets all moody if he doesn't see the sun for 2 days so you can imagine what he is like come January)
Australia the lack of jobs in my field where I am going to

Kala
fave thing: britain/ family, friends, and landscape
fave thing: oz/climate landscape
worse thing: britain/seasons...or lack of summer, (i believe in SAD syndrome!)
worse thing: oz/christmases without family and cockroaches..real fear!
Old Jul 5th 2004, 11:06 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Difficult!

Good:
Oz: nature/countryside (national parks etc)
Holland: family

Bad:
Oz: no family, less jobs
Holland: ............... Can't think of anything! (though there's probably something.....) A year ago, I could've given a whole list, now the rose tinted specs are off!
Weather: doesn't bother me....
Busy: doesn't affect me, I live in country town
Cost of living: same in both.

As I said in my poll thread, these days, the only reason for going is the adventure of it and looking after ourselves without parents nearby.
And maybe..... one day..... it might be easier there to have a hobby farm in the country..... maybe.

As I said, difficult! I can't keep my answers short!!!!
Old Jul 5th 2004, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

PaulaJ will become famous soon enoughPaulaJ will become famous soon enough

A balanced thread, I like this! I can't speak about coming from the UK (and hubby isn't here to speak about it right now), so I'll comment about the US.

Favorite thing about the US: Lots of snow in winter.
Least favorite thing about the US: The way the US as a nation behaves in the world arena (heavy handed etc)

Favorite thing about Australia: My inlaws.
Least favorite thing about Australia: Distance from my brothers and sister.

No matter where I am my kids and husband will be with me so it will be home. I know there is good and bad in both places and I'd be foolish to think otherwise.

Each person's migration experience is his or her own, and no one else can judge it successful or not. Whether someone moves back or stays is a life choice, not a win or lose situation, a right or wrong situation or a pass or fail situation.

Just one newbie's humble opinion.

Paula
Old Jul 5th 2004, 11:08 pm
scoobydoo

fave thing about UK - countryside and friends
least fave thing UK - no parrots in garden

fave thing oz - buying a roast chicken cheaply for dinner
least fave thing about oz - bugs!

Old Jul 5th 2004, 11:10 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: one good one bad

Fave things oz
The closeness of different lifstyle opportunities (We are 40 min from beach, 2 hours from snow, 20 mins from some stunning scenery, 40 mins from the city
More time with my family.
Friendly people
New experiences

Worst thing
Mile upon mile of faceless suburbs
Crap wages
PS2 games are bloody expensive
More time with my family

Fave things UK
Family and friends

Worst things UK
Long winters
Expensive housing
Old Jul 5th 2004, 11:16 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

[

And maybe..... one day..... it might be easier there to have a hobby farm in the country..... maybe.
Simone you shold come to Geraldton, We want a hobby farm too and we can buy a 400 acre farm there for the price of a 3 bed house in Perth.

I can't wait, Mother and father in law breed sheep and the pet one had a baby today, she's mine and they called me to name her. So excited gonna stamp big signs on her saying "dont turn me into chops" when I get over there. oops i'm going off in another direction again but your comment just reminded me. For anyone who is interested I have called her Tilly.

Kala
Old Jul 5th 2004, 11:27 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Simone you shold come to Geraldton, We want a hobby farm too and we can buy a 400 acre farm there for the price of a 3 bed house in Perth.

I can't wait, Mother and father in law breed sheep and the pet one had a baby today, she's mine and they called me to name her. So excited gonna stamp big signs on her saying "dont turn me into chops" when I get over there. oops i'm going off in another direction again but your comment just reminded me. For anyone who is interested I have called her Tilly.

Kala
Sounds great!!!!

If I'd do it, I'd want to have it in the southwest somewhere. Around Bunbury or somewhere.

You know, my parents ( I was 9), nearly bought the S-bend Caravan Park, just south of Geraldton in 1992.
Didn't think it would make much money(would lose money!), so decided against it.
Then visited friends in Bridgetown(southwest), and the guy, who was a real estate agent, showed us a wholesale plant nursery for sale just down the road. So bought that!
Didn't go to well though! Sold it all off after a while.
Had goats and chooks and a rabbit though!

Anyway, problem is: jobs! Need to go to Perth. To start out with at least. Would be good if Pascal got job in Graphic Design. Maybe then later he would have a bigger chance(then with Oz experience) getting a job in a smaller town(like Bunbury), or starting his own business.

Ahhhhh, you're making me dream again!!!!
Old Jul 5th 2004, 11:37 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

Originally posted by Simone
Sounds great!!!!

If I'd do it, I'd want to have it in the southwest somewhere. Around Bunbury or somewhere.

You know, my parents ( I was 9), nearly bought the S-bend Caravan Park, just south of Geraldton in 1992.
Didn't think it would make much money(would lose money!), so decided against it.
Then visited friends in Bridgetown(southwest), and the guy, who was a real estate agent, showed us a wholesale plant nursery for sale just down the road. So bought that!
Didn't go to well though! Sold it all off after a while.
Had goats and chooks and a rabbit though!

Anyway, problem is: jobs! Need to go to Perth. To start out with at least. Would be good if Pascal got job in Graphic Design. Maybe then later he would have a bigger chance(then with Oz experience) getting a job in a smaller town(like Bunbury), or starting his own business.

Ahhhhh, you're making me dream again!!!!
Same here need the money from the jobs in Perth but not the cost of buying a house. Staying here for another 18 months to save money and fingers crossed we can buy a sheep farm then one of us will work it and the other work somewhere else, money will be tight but at least we wont be in the rat race.

I like it further south aswel but with the family in Gero it seems lke the better option for us.

Good luck I hope your dream comes true

Kala
Old Jul 5th 2004, 11:44 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Same here need the money from the jobs in Perth but not the cost of buying a house. Staying here for another 18 months to save money and fingers crossed we can buy a sheep farm then one of us will work it and the other work somewhere else, money will be tight but at least we wont be in the rat race.

I like it further south aswel but with the family in Gero it seems lke the better option for us.

Good luck I hope your dream comes true

Kala
Yeah, go where the family is.
That's one reason why I prefer the south, know more people there!
We don't have practically any money, so will will be renting for years to come!
If Pascal gets a good job in Perth, I might do a course in 'something to do with animals(or nature)'. Always wanted to do that, but chose something more 'safe'(not many jobs in 'something to do with animals' ) Don't want to a be a vet, so not many options left!

Rat race: we've never lived in a big city before. I think it'll be a good adventure, something different, more choice in stuff, entertainment. Have no idea if we 'need' that. We'll see how long we survive!
Biggest question is if we can 'cope' (or want to cope) without our parents. We'll have to see!

Good luck with saving the money!!!!
Old Jul 6th 2004, 12:04 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

Originally posted by Simone
Yeah, go where the family is.
That's one reason why I prefer the south, know more people there!
We don't have practically any money, so will will be renting for years to come!
If Pascal gets a good job in Perth, I might do a course in 'something to do with animals(or nature)'. Always wanted to do that, but chose something more 'safe'(not many jobs in 'something to do with animals' ) Don't want to a be a vet, so not many options left!

Rat race: we've never lived in a big city before. I think it'll be a good adventure, something different, more choice in stuff, entertainment. Have no idea if we 'need' that. We'll see how long we survive!
Biggest question is if we can 'cope' (or want to cope) without our parents. We'll have to see!

Good luck with saving the money!!!!
I didn't mean Perth (rat race), I am from a Big town just south of London so have had enough of living under a flight path surounded my motorways. When I 1st went to Australia to meet the hubby's family we stopped on the big S bend just south or Geralton and got out of the car. It was dark, dead silent, there was no artificial light anywhere not even a glow from a town somewhere and the stars were amazing. I was pertified at 1st convinced a snake or man eating spider was gonna get me (Think I watched too many cartoons as a kid) Now I feel like I really mssed out on something amazing as a kid and think everyone should be able to see the same. I supose priorities change as you get older, a couple of years ago I would have freaked out if there wasn't a mcdonnalds within a mile for my saturday morning hangover cure and moving up the career ladder was really important. Now I just want to have a happy life and work in a deli or something where I dont have to take my job home. I dont care about the money so much, I dont have to get a new car every 2 years cos everyone else does. The only thing I really want that I can't have is My parents/ sister and a few close friend in Australia with me. I'm sure I'l get used to it though and hey if I dont try I'l never know.

Good luck to you 2

Kala
Old Jul 6th 2004, 12:16 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Here my list

Fave thing about UK

York (beautiful city)
work conditions
less commute (in York anyway)
Historic buildings
Friends and Family
Social Life

Least fave thing about UK
Weather
Small houses
Expensive houses
No garden

Fave thing about Oz
Live near beach (20 mins either side)
1 hr from city
Less debt
Cheap meat and choice of fruit and veggies
Cheaper and easier to see sporting events/concerts
Weather
My house

Least fave things about oz
bank charges
the anti britishness
the arrogance you get when Oz wins at most things and you are constantly told about it (even with Greece winning Euro 2004)
Working hours
Long distances to travel to work/places
Stamp duty

Today may not be a great day for me to post as I am having a down day and feeling homesick. I think I was honest and balanced though

Jo
Old Jul 6th 2004, 12:23 am
kong

Originally posted by joh117
Here my list

Fave thing about UK

York (beautiful city)
work conditions
less commute (in York anyway)
Historic buildings
Friends and Family
Social Life

Least fave thing about UK
Weather
Small houses
Expensive houses
No garden

Fave thing about Oz
Live near beach (20 mins either side)
1 hr from city
Less debt
Cheap meat and choice of fruit and veggies
Cheaper and easier to see sporting events/concerts
Weather
My house

Least fave things about oz
bank charges
the anti britishness
the arrogance you get when Oz wins at most things and you are constantly told about it (even with Greece winning Euro 2004)
Working hours
Long distances to travel to work/places
Stamp duty

Today may not be a great day for me to post as I am having a down day and feeling homesick. I think I was honest and balanced though

Jo
Excellent post, well balanced, if more honest experiances were on this forum, then maybe the UK based members would not post such anti oz sentiments?

Old Jul 6th 2004, 4:00 am
Just Joined

rodmunch99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Fave things UK: (Apart from Family)
Historic buildings
Country Pubs (Obvious I know)
Decent Television and My SKY+ Recorder
Better pay

No So fave things UK:
Traffic
Endless cold grey days

Fave things OZ:
Wildlife
Friendliness
Beaches
Good for the kids

No so fave things OZ:
House Prices (Sydney)
Speed Limits/Speed Cameras
Old Jul 6th 2004, 4:26 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Gonna deviate a little. I have no experience with the UK, but a fair bit with the US, so here goes:

Favourite Things about Australia
Laid-back lifestyle
Cheap food
Tourist attractions that are accessible and easy to move around in.
TV that is generally free of preachers and bible-bashers
People that usually can take the piss and have a good laugh at themselves
Politics that usually don't revolve around the raising of campaign funds
People that usually try and treat the cause of something rather than the effect
Sport that doesn't have time-outs and stop/starts every 5 seconds
Strong and full-flavorured beers
Cheap and non-nonsense medical care

Not so favourite things about Australia
Expensive white goods
Expensive to own and operate a car
Expensive and under-speed broadband
Yobbo culture
Small variety of take away places
Cultural cringe from mindless tourism campaigns
It had to be Fosters, didn't it?
Highways that wouldn't rate as a farm driveway in any other developed country
Insularity of some inhabitants

Favourite things about the US
Cheap, fast and readily available broadband
Cheap white goods
Cheap (at least here in Texas) petrol
Bewildering variety of take away places
Cheap to own and operate a car
Roads that are well made, well-graded and well-maintained, even back roads

Not no fave things about the US
Place is in love with itself and is the be all, end all
Taxes and fees on everything
The need to tip every fourth person you deal with
Nation allows itself to get walked over on major things but get their end up over the trivial
Religious zealotry and fervour
Cliched views of other nations
and cultures
Treating the effect of things rather than the cause of them
More interested in the sportsman's off-field sex scandals and cockups than in the sport itself
Sports that have timeouts and ruin the continuity of play
Sports that all seem to have lycra tights in there somewhere (that's a joke)
Expensive and complicated medical system
Up-tight and puritanical legislation over certain things (boobs, alcohol, etc)
Beer that generally is weak and tasteless (Shiner Bock is an exception)

Hope that helps!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.