British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   One for the girlies - Oz blokes vs. Brit blokes (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/one-girlies-oz-blokes-vs-brit-blokes-202787/)

dotty Jan 16th 2004 5:30 am

Originally posted by bondipom
Not long till Mardi Gras. The moustache and a**e floss count increases from now on.
I have a vision, 'real blokes' on a float, flanno g banger perhaps,
those seude work boots, and a hard hat.

bondipom Jan 16th 2004 5:33 am

Originally posted by dotty

The Village People were in town recently.

dotty Jan 16th 2004 5:40 am

The Village People were in town recently.
I thought they were dead, however its true, appeared at the Caloundra Cultural Center quite recently. Just waiting for the buderim amateur theater production of Queen now :eek:

Amazulu Jan 16th 2004 5:50 am

Originally posted by badgersmount
blokes view

as a Uk bloke IN SOME WAYS I connect with Aussie blokes - for the same reasons - less gel, less wannabe sophistication, better sportsman, sense of humour, less complications, a kind of lookout on life that generally only soldiers have - those who have served in the Armed forces will know what I mean - kind of a real man as apposed to a man wanting to be a real man. (And no amount of talking about it will get you it.) Banter and mateship - corny but true. My middle class peers in the UK seem quite prissy by comparison, whereas I've noticed already that my professional aussie mates seem less feminine etc - they're not ockers though. Aussie blokes are competitive without being competitive whereas especially in London there is always a kind of 'geezer' oneupmanship going on - difficult to explain.

I said BEFRIEND BTW

:D
What makes a real man?. Why has Sydney got the biggest gay population after San Fransisco?.

bondipom Jan 16th 2004 5:53 am

Badge you are starting to come up with some of those commentators bloopers.

"Manage to be competitive without being competitive."

bundy Jan 16th 2004 7:31 am

Originally posted by badgersmount
I think that the less overt PC relationship between men and women in Australia actually creates a bloke that is old fashioned whereas in Europe men have become emasculated, there's no middle ground.

Mrs B loves the fact that men in Straya overtly perve at her - she says it makes her feel more like a woman!! That reminds me - knew I was going to post this as a subject for all the Sheilas here. She also appreciates the old fashioned courtesy, and once my mate tried to put me right on some minor issue. He was so quick, I didn't get a chance.....;-) He basically chastised me for not opening MrsB's beer fast enough for her...I thought - 'give us a chance you nagging ba'satrd' :-)

I just joined the local Rotary club - a load of blokes - great stuff.

Badge
I know what Mrs B means. In my family, the women rule. We are strong, independent women and I love that. But I'm more than happy for someone to open the door for me etc etc. And being perved at can be a big boost! On my birthday last year I was walking to work and feeling a bit glum because of having hit that magic officially-no-longer-young age of 26 and I got wolf whistled by a load of firemen. Made my day.

bondipom Jan 16th 2004 7:54 am

The problem British men have is in 3 quarters of the year everyone is covered up. Walk down Bondi Beach on a summers day and the Brits are perving just as much as the Aussies. Us men are the same the world over.

Megalania Jan 16th 2004 8:05 am

The problem British men have is in 3 quarters of the year everyone is covered up. Walk down Bondi Beach on a summers day and the Brits are perving just as much as the Aussies. Us men are the same the world over.
A recent survey showed that 87.9% of men aged 10 to 87.9 bought dark wrap around sunglasses use on the beach.

Wanderlust Jan 16th 2004 8:06 am

Thanks to Badger and Ceri for the most informative opinions. Badger - I know what you mean about blokes in the forces (being an ex-regular myself) so thats pretty cool. And Ceri - I couldnt agree with you more - you definitely get all sorts wherever you go. LOL

W. :D

Sammy G Jan 16th 2004 10:55 am

Re: One for the girlies - Oz blokes vs. Brit blokes

Hi There

I'm an aussie girl 1st 22 years there here in UK for 7.5years and would pick a pom every time. I have been totally in love with two pommie blokes. Unfortunately the 1st relationship came to an end after 5 wonderful years. But now I am lucky enough to have found another GEM!!!!! He is coming to Oz with me and I can't wait!!!!

ANA123 Jan 16th 2004 11:13 am

Originally posted by dotty

As a self confessed fag hag I cant wait to meet some Ozzie queens.
In defence of gay men generally though I find them to be attentive, thoughtful and gentlemanly towards women, as a married woman thats all the male attention I need, the fact they'll come shopping with me is just a bonus! (english husband is all of above and more, only falls down on the shopping!)

jopaulss Jan 16th 2004 12:02 pm

Cant beat a british guy i have to say , love to mine to bits , think poms have alot more about them i have to say., not biased or anything you understand

Pollyana Jan 16th 2004 12:43 pm

the fact they'll come shopping with me is just a bonus!
I agree, much more fun shopping with my gay mates than with my Bloke - he is lovely, but he just doesn't know how to shop!
"Oh, its a shirt, that'll do" - "yes dear, you're wearing it to your wedding, maybe you could care just a leeeettle bit what it'll look like!"
At least its an improvement on the hideous Hawaiian thing he was threatening to wear ......:rolleyes:

My outfit however was chosen by my gay friend, by the time we left M&S he had strewn clothes the entire length of the (ladies) fitting room, the assistant was on valium, he had persuaded an old lady to spend £30 on a new hat, and the store detective gave up trying to work out what stuff we had brought in with us!:D

ANA123 Jan 16th 2004 12:53 pm

Originally posted by Pollyana
I agree, much more fun shopping with my gay mates than with my Bloke - he is lovely, but he just doesn't know how to shop!
"Oh, its a shirt, that'll do" - "yes dear, you're wearing it to your wedding, maybe you could care just a leeeettle bit what it'll look like!"
At least its an improvement on the hideous Hawaiian thing he was threatening to wear ......:rolleyes:

My outfit however was chosen by my gay friend, by the time we left M&S he had strewn clothes the entire length of the (ladies) fitting room, the assistant was on valium, he had persuaded an old lady to spend £30 on a new hat, and the store detective gave up trying to work out what stuff we had brought in with us!:D

I agree Pollyanna, theres no shopping like Gay shopping. Much more honest than female friends, though mine attempts to persuade me to purchase Kylie replica dresses, otherwise I trust his judgement!
Michaela

bondipom Jan 16th 2004 8:54 pm

Originally posted by mcmercer
I agree Pollyanna, theres no shopping like Gay shopping. Much more honest than female friends, though mine attempts to persuade me to purchase Kylie replica dresses, otherwise I trust his judgement!
Michaela
I believe you should be shopping in Oxford St Paddington. Watch out for the toolshed though. Mardi Gras coming soon.