Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

one area of sadness

one area of sadness

Old Jul 17th 2004, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default one area of sadness

we have been here a few months now and our opinions )only personal) about taking teenagers are this

1. if you have older teenagers like me (ry is 17) they could find life out here very difficult as ozzies dont finish school until they are 18 out here so meeting friends and having a social life can be very hard

2. if they re into scoccer then make sure you plug and plug away to get them into a team because they love footie not soccer out her

3. get them into college asap not only for a career but for a social life as well

4. get them practising their l's if they are over 17 because they can drive at 17 here and being mobile and independant is important

life for this age group can be very lonley and we are having some major wobbly moments because of all his friends he has left behind

not sounding too negative but from what we are going through and a few others who have this age group, they do not see this country as we do

arlene
Old Jul 17th 2004, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: one area of sadness

Originally posted by arlene
we have been here a few months now and our opinions )only personal) about taking teenagers are this

1. if you have older teenagers like me (ry is 17) they could find life out here very difficult as ozzies dont finish school until they are 18 out here so meeting friends and having a social life can be very hard

2. if they re into scoccer then make sure you plug and plug away to get them into a team because they love footie not soccer out her

3. get them into college asap not only for a career but for a social life as well

4. get them practising their l's if they are over 17 because they can drive at 17 here and being mobile and independant is important

life for this age group can be very lonley and we are having some major wobbly moments because of all his friends he has left behind

not sounding too negative but from what we are going through and a few others who have this age group, they do not see this country as we do

arlene
They do see it as a bit of an outpost dont they J is 18, most of the kids his age are very set with friends they knew all through highschool, he was very lucky he did his last 2 years of school here, and they finish at grade 12 at 17 in QLD. The car is the key factor here, they all have cars, no transport so car is IT. IMO that makes them grow up very fast, 16.5 years and they get the learners permit. Car gives them far more freedom and privacy and I find them a lot more street wise than UK kids of the same age, own wheels you can do a lot more

He will soon get a social life once they start a course, or join some sort of footy team. My son claims again he is returning to the UK, I dont know hes studying business, making more than me selling luxury accomodation, has more mates than I can recall names for has had his own car almost 2 years, spends all weekends partying, is on his third serious relationship and yet claims he finds it boring and deadend. Dont worry too much once his finds one mate all the rest will be upon you before you know it.

Last edited by jad n rich; Jul 17th 2004 at 10:08 am.
Old Jul 17th 2004, 9:17 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

The bit that worries me about the Kid's driving is the number of little memorials everywhere.

Best they learn properly but young kids and Big cars is not a good combination:scared:

G
Old Jul 17th 2004, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

hmm agree with that one

ry is lucky he has found a soccer team and plays on mon, weds and a sat, he has passed his motorbike test and has a scooter so he is independant so now he is looking for work for 6 months until he can get an apprentiship, but he is still lonley and is talking of going back already

only time will tell if he stays

arlene
Old Jul 17th 2004, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Grayling
The bit that worries me about the Kid's driving is the number of little memorials everywhere.

Best they learn properly but young kids and Big cars is not a good combination:scared:

G

So sad and so true, we paid for proper driving lessons and a safety course but most learn mainly from mum and dad or mates. But many laws are being looked at like learner drivers being able to carry passengers as long as they have a full driver in the car, thats stupid. No P plates either, that too is being looked at thankfully. It is too young but I have heard in New Zealand its 15 which is lunacy if correct.
Old Jul 17th 2004, 9:31 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

G

I have seen this point commented on a few times now...and admittedly, things might have changed in the 3 yrs that I have been in the UK...But it was my understanding that in Victoria at least(cant comment on other States)....While you are on your P's for 3 yrs...you are limited to a maximum of a 6 Cylinder vehicle. Although they might be driving "bigger" cars than in the UK....They are not necessarily more powerful...while they are building up their initial experience on the roads.
Old Jul 17th 2004, 9:38 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Hels
I have seen this point commented on a few times now...and admittedly, things might have changed in the 3 yrs that I have been in the UK...But it was my understanding that in Victoria at least(cant comment on other States)....While you are on your P's for 3 yrs...you are limited to a maximum of a 6 Cylinder vehicle. Although they might be driving "bigger" cars than in the UK....They are not necessarily more powerful...while they are building up their initial experience on the roads.
You may be right Hels.

But from what we saw having 'P' plates did not seem to make much difference.
Some of the worst drivers we saw for Speed and disregard for speed limits were young girls with'P' plates regardless of the size of car.

G
Old Jul 17th 2004, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You may be right Hels.

Some of the worst drivers we saw for Speed and disregard for speed limits were young girls with'P' plates regardless of the size of car.

G
At least you saw P plates in Qld they dont even need them. How wrong is that?
Old Jul 17th 2004, 9:48 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

You may be right Hels.

G

Its not that much different here in London tho. (Not gonna comment on the rest of UK as I have only ever lived here in London). The drivers here are the worse I have ever experienced (apart from Italy ) The "boy racer" problem is dreadful around where I live....The "girl racer" one isnt much better....

The blatent disregard for the rules, the rudeness, the rush at other drivers expense, the "I'm the only driver that matters" mentality...

I thought it would be interesting when I went home to Oz last year, having lived here for a couple of years, to compare how it felt to drive on Melbourne roads compared to London...

Yes, Melbourne gets congested, yes there are drivers in Melbourne that shouldnt be on the roads...but IMO...it wasnt NEARLY as bad driving in Melbourne...not nearly as stressful and I felt an awful lot safer...

But, like I said...that was just my opinion
Old Jul 17th 2004, 11:20 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

You may be right Hels.

G
In NSW the police will target P platers because they are more likely to go over their 100kmh limit. Youths will always try and drive like that no matter the plate. I guess the hope is that by the time they get off their Ps (when they are 21) that they will be better drivers.
Old Jul 17th 2004, 11:47 pm
Unclear Engineer

indybrit is on a distinguished road
Default Re: one area of sadness

Originally posted by arlene

arlene
Thought I would put my two cents worth in being as the latter of the posters here have turned this thread into a "should kids be driving at that age" thread rather than actually concentrating on your original post about the loneliness experienced by teenagers.

We moved to Canada in 95. My son was 6 and daughter was 10. Then last year I moved to the U.S. My daughter had already moved in with her boyfriend but my son wanted to go to the U.S. with me (wife joining later).

Needless to say my son also had a very hard time finding friends etc....and is currently back in Canada as he wanted to be with his mates for the summer.
Old Jul 18th 2004, 3:48 am
Linda Max

we have 4 kids 24. 22. 17, 16, have been here almost 7 years. Only the 22 year old is here now, other 3 recently went back home, and all say they wont live in NZ again. Goes to show, 7 weeks, 7 months, 7 years, you never know whats going to happen.
And yes the kids drive here at age 15, total madness.

Old Jul 18th 2004, 4:25 am
Unclear Engineer

indybrit is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Linda Max
we have 4 kids 24. 22. 17, 16, have been here almost 7 years. Only the 22 year old is here now, other 3 recently went back home, and all say they wont live in NZ again. Goes to show, 7 weeks, 7 months, 7 years, you never know whats going to happen.
And yes the kids drive here at age 15, total madness.
Whay do you have?? Boys, girls??

Gotta ask, why did your 22 year old stay and not go back with the others?? (If you don't mind me asking of course).
Old Jul 18th 2004, 4:59 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by jad n rich
At least you saw P plates in Qld they dont even need them. How wrong is that?
Nothing wrong with it all, IMHO. The state of Queensland believes that P plates unfairly discriminate against provisional drivers. I think they're right. No P plates in Queensland! Away with you!

Queensland's practical driving tests used to be much stricter than NSW's. At one stage, you have Queenslander's use bogus Tweed Heads addresses in order to pass the comparitively easier NSW test.

Things may have sharpened up in the time being.
Old Jul 18th 2004, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Many thanks for your post.
Bit worried about my 17 year old.
He is in limbo and really unsure as to what to do with himself when he gets there.
Here he already has a moped....will he be able to drive one in Perth?

Also really hoping to get him into a footise club as he is absolutely fab with the ball!!
I know Lindseyden also has some `teenage concerns`

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.