British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   OMG - What have i gone and done !! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/omg-what-have-i-gone-done-306176/)

jwinch Jun 1st 2005 4:09 am

OMG - What have i gone and done !!

I have never been one to act on impulse. I worked for my last employer in the UK for nineteen years and was very happy there.

I have been in my first job in Oz for four months and today I have just walked out and told them I am not going back. I have been trying to make it work for several weeks now but the people there are making me really unhappy and at the end of the day thats not what we moved here for.

The Manager is a really old fashioned typical male chauvanist pig who has absolutely no respect for women, The moral in the whole office is at an all time low with lots of bitching and back stabbing.

I know I was probably silly to just jack it but I got to the stage where I just couldnt cope with the crap any longer it was making me miserable and eating away my self confidence, and i was taking it out on the kids.

Looks like I have probably blown a reference too !

Just got to break the news to the old man now :beer: :beer:

Un-Co Jun 1st 2005 4:20 am

Re: OMG - What have i gone and done !!

Originally Posted by jwinch
I have never been one to act on impulse. I worked for my last employer in the UK for nineteen years and was very happy there.

I have been in my first job in Oz for four months and today I have just walked out and told them I am not going back. I have been trying to make it work for several weeks now but the people there are making me really unhappy and at the end of the day thats not what we moved here for.

The Manager is a really old fashioned typical male chauvanist pig who has absolutely no respect for women, The moral in the whole office is at an all time low with lots of bitching and back stabbing.

I know I was probably silly to just jack it but I got to the stage where I just couldnt cope with the crap any longer it was making me miserable and eating away my self confidence, and i was taking it out on the kids.

Hey there,

Chin up. FWIW I think you did the right thing There's nothing worse than hating your job - you spend too much time at work for it to be somewhere that makes you unhappy. I'm sure something fabulous will come along. I've got my fingers crossed for you! :)

gedge Jun 1st 2005 4:22 am

c'est la vie.
It was probably going to happen anyway from the sounds of it. You just done added a bit of the shock factor.
Sometimes it's the best way.
Sure you'll get another job, anyone who can stand up for themselves like that can succeed. Good luck in your next job.

louise4 Jun 1st 2005 4:28 am

Hey don't worry, things will work out. There is nothing worse than staying in a job you hate, it is sould destroying, after all you spend most of yur waking hours there.
Don't worry abput references, they have to give you one. if they do put anything negative i.e left giving no notice, just make sure you explane why you left and that you worked for your previous employer sooooo long with no problems.
Good luck, keep smiling

Louise

RReed Jun 1st 2005 5:34 am

Good for you! :D

Siren & Brian Jun 1st 2005 5:50 am

Good onya!

No point in making yourself miserable. Sounds like you're a pretty strong person with a good head on your shoulders. I'm sure you'll find something much better soon. :)

Siren

paulf Jun 1st 2005 5:57 am

Sorry to hear your news, but I dont agree with the others here, every penny counts in a new country and maybe you should have looked for a new job while still getting a wage or at least have put a few feelers out.
Hope you get sorted soon.

gedge Jun 1st 2005 6:20 am

Originally Posted by paulf
Sorry to hear your news, but I dont agree with the others here, every penny counts in a new country and maybe you should have looked for a new job while still getting a wage or at least have put a few feelers out.
Hope you get sorted soon.

Well yes that's obvious, but too late now. I wouldn't advise people to chuck in their jobs without thinking of the practical issues, but shit happens.
The only thing to do now is focus on the positives, you can't save spilt milk.

RReed Jun 1st 2005 6:29 am

I walked out of a job years ago in the uk. I had been there for years - I won't go into the reasons, but it was making me very unhappy. At the time I was the main earner with a mortgage and two small children. From the outside it must have looked like a mad decision - it ended up being one of the best decisions of my life.

Sometimes risks are worth taking. It depends what is more important to you - sanity/health or money/security.

Rachel

Amanda&Paul Jun 1st 2005 6:39 am

No point in staying somewhere you hate. Why put them on your CV - 4 months isn't long - just say that you have been settling in up until now! That way you can refer them to your employers in the UK.

Anastasia Beaverhausen Jun 1st 2005 6:39 am

Good for you. Most people (me included) wouldnt have the guts to do that, no matter how unhappy they were. As you said "its not what you moved there for" Well done. :)

bridiej Jun 1st 2005 6:57 am

No point crying over splilt milk and all that but I know Malc has warned me that if I do get a job somewhere (rather than work from home) the Aussies may well make my life hell for a bit just to see what type of person I am. He had same happen to him when on his WHV and going round fruit picking etc. he said a lot of them give you stick just to see if you are a whinging Pom or not!

logan Jun 1st 2005 7:12 am

hi, I totally agree with unco. We spend so much of our life at work, and I've seen enough friends terribly unhappy due to work circumstances. It affects the rest of your life and it's just not worth it. I loved my last job, but the office politics just got too much at the end, and I was relieved to be leaving to come here.

I'm not actually working yet, but I sympathise and sending you karma :)

teach Jun 1st 2005 7:19 am

Hi jwinch,
If it's making you that unhappy you have done the right thing. There will be other jobs. Unfortunately, it happens all over. I have been very happy in my job for 6 years well that was until they found out I was going to Oz. Since September my life has been hell with all the bitching and back stabbing. I just can't wait to leave but cannot do this until we have exchanged contracts on the house. As soon as that is done, I'm handing in my notice.
You will find another job soon, in the mean time try not to worry. Good luck.
Sarah

scotvness Jun 1st 2005 7:40 am

You're not alone, after finding what I though was a fantastic job - I loved it, thought all my Xmas's had come at once - it started of brilliant for the first couple of months, then the boss started to show his true colours (I should have been more concerned about the two previous employees who didn't last more than two months) a corporate psychopath I believe is the correct title. I walked out after three months and a lot of soul searching. I have worked in the same type of industry for over twenty years but you cannot let yourself become someones punch bag - you have to be able to look at yourself in the mirror each day.

I'm still looking and still very happy about my decision to quit - Enjoy the beer something will turn up

Regards

Scot

Geordie George Jun 1st 2005 8:04 am

FWIW, I also walked out on my (first job) in Aus - that was a couple of weeks ago now. When it's obvious that things aren't going to work out, there's no point sticking it out and becoming even more negative and resentful about it. Job hunting's not a lot of fun, but you're obviously an employable person! You'll find something else and feel much happier about things. I figured I'd moved too far to be doing a job I wasn't 100% and then some happy with!

Good luck finding something that makes you happy!

Nichola

Anne4Terry Jun 1st 2005 8:26 am

Don't worry. You really have done the right thing, your own sanity and welfare must come first and besides, if you are not happy at work then you won't be able to do the job to your full capacity anyway. I'm sure you will find something much better soon with nicer people. Karma on its way. :)

Anne

philian4 Jun 1st 2005 8:28 am

:D Don't look on the negatives! look at how great you are.....you've had the balls to leave a job after 19 years, emigrate and start all over again!!!!

As for the comment about needing money when you move, sure, we all need money, but you can work at anything to earn a dollar- our friends arrived over here and delivered pizzas for a while - they now have good jobs and an income of around AU$160,000 (and she's part-time).

as someone rightly said "who needs a reference?", you've only just arrived and have a long service history in the UK.......onwards and upwards!!!!! :D

Phil x

logan Jun 1st 2005 8:33 am

[QUOTE=scotvness]You're not alone, after finding what I though was a fantastic job - I loved it, thought all my Xmas's had come at once - it started of brilliant for the first couple of months, then the boss started to show his true colours (I should have been more concerned about the two previous employees who didn't last more than two months) a corporate psychopath I believe is the correct title. I walked out after three months and a lot of soul searching. I have worked in the same type of industry for over twenty years but you cannot let yourself become someones punch bag - you have to be able to look at yourself in the mirror each day.

I'm still looking and still very happy about my decision to quit - Enjoy the beer something will turn up
packed it in as you'd had enough. :D

lauralollipop Jun 1st 2005 8:40 am

dont worry about it, you defo did the right thing.

I walked out of my first job here in Aus too, I hated it with a passion, plus it was 34 degrees outside, which made the desision to quit an easier one.... ;) if you had of lived in Melbourne I'd of thout it was the same place...lol!

I found another pretty easy, just dont put on your cv and pretend it never happened and that you have had some time off here before you started to apply for stuff, thats what i did and they never knew any different!

The job i have now I love it but, it has bitches working there, i was ready to jack in job no 2, but last night i received some great news that all 3 of the bitches have resigned...yippeee!!!

So now i can do the job I love in a bitch free environment and dont need to leave anymore :)

Tings will work out for you and you will look back and be glad you walked out of the shi* job...

good luck

laura
x

coxfamuk Jun 1st 2005 8:52 am

I really and truly believe that life is just too short to have to deal with those kind of miserable b*****ds. Well done you for making a stand!!

Here's some karma for you too.

Sarah

Ransi Jun 1st 2005 8:56 am

You definatly did the right thing....I had a job I hated,the staff, the customers, the boss, the bosses boss etc...I used to come home feeling really low and would be snappy to the other half and my 2 kids....I jacked it in and found a new job which is so much better.....no worries :D

jwinch Jun 1st 2005 9:26 am

Thanks everyone for your support. Feeling a bit sick and gutted at the moment but I am sure it will pass.

My husband took the news quite well and keeps telling me not to worry that I can do a few extras for him to earn some money ;)

I am sure things will work out for the best.

Bordy Jun 1st 2005 10:49 am

Thanks everyone for your support. Feeling a bit sick and gutted at the moment but I am sure it will pass.

My husband took the news quite well and keeps telling me not to worry that I can do a few extras for him to earn some money ;)

I am sure things will work out for the best.

I did the same thing with my first job in Aus 5 years ago. I was a supervisor for a Japanese company making air con units for Toyotas. Great job BUT, I got three warnings for helping out my staff when short staffed instead of sitting at my desk.
Anyone needing the toilet had to come and ask me first, just like primary school :rolleyes:
Finally one of the bosses walked past a small air con pipe that had fell off a rack, he walked about 20mtrs past it to come & tell me to pick it up.
I laughed & said your kidding right? No he wasn't so took my dust coat off handed it to him & told him to look for another slave.

The following week after phoning around I got a job in the company I'm still with so hopefully its same for you, as one door closes etc etc.

Good luck.

tiredwithtwins Jun 1st 2005 12:30 pm

wow - good for you!
I have been in the same job (but in the uk!) for the last 18 months, and it has been pretty crap. last week i came to the decision i was going to resign....it feels good, doesnt it??

good luck with the job hunting!

sue :D :D :D

TopCat3 Jun 1st 2005 3:10 pm

Well , it's interesting reading this thread. For some years I thought it was just me, but - check out the one from the fruit-picker person especially. There's a lot of truth in that. About the first three to four months is the worst I have always found here (and I've had a few different jobs...) I don't know what it is but I realised after the first three times it happened it is part of the culture in working life here, to be generally suspicious and "test" the newbie (esp if they come with a UK accent, heaven help we look more capable than them...) I'm not saying you did the wrong thing in not sticking it out, but just to say, in a kind way, be aware of how things can be. And I know I'm doing a sweeping generalisation thing, but it's not til I had some hindsight down the years and wasn't IN the situation at the time, that the "Aha" moment came. It just adds to some of the other stuff that gets up my nose but don't let's go there, I want to stay positive for everyone. Have sent karma. Have a big :beer: and a nice :zzz: and things will look better tomorrow.

tonyk38 Jun 1st 2005 5:02 pm

I walked out of four different jobs in one year once, so I know how you feel. :)

I tend to have a zero tolerance approach to office politics and will stand my ground, as I have no time for bitchiness, back-stabbing and 'lets pick on the newbie' type behaviour.

I've sent you karma, plus my blessing for doing the most sensible thing under the circumstances.

Good luck, and take care. :beer:

Tony.

SuperSeagulls Jun 2nd 2005 6:55 am

Sounds like you did the right thing...

SS