Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OMG - What have i gone and done !!

OMG - What have i gone and done !!

Old Jun 1st 2005, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

jwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura about
Default OMG - What have i gone and done !!

I have never been one to act on impulse. I worked for my last employer in the UK for nineteen years and was very happy there.

I have been in my first job in Oz for four months and today I have just walked out and told them I am not going back. I have been trying to make it work for several weeks now but the people there are making me really unhappy and at the end of the day thats not what we moved here for.

The Manager is a really old fashioned typical male chauvanist pig who has absolutely no respect for women, The moral in the whole office is at an all time low with lots of bitching and back stabbing.

I know I was probably silly to just jack it but I got to the stage where I just couldnt cope with the crap any longer it was making me miserable and eating away my self confidence, and i was taking it out on the kids.

Looks like I have probably blown a reference too !

Just got to break the news to the old man now
Old Jun 1st 2005, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OMG - What have i gone and done !!

Originally Posted by jwinch
I have never been one to act on impulse. I worked for my last employer in the UK for nineteen years and was very happy there.

I have been in my first job in Oz for four months and today I have just walked out and told them I am not going back. I have been trying to make it work for several weeks now but the people there are making me really unhappy and at the end of the day thats not what we moved here for.

The Manager is a really old fashioned typical male chauvanist pig who has absolutely no respect for women, The moral in the whole office is at an all time low with lots of bitching and back stabbing.

I know I was probably silly to just jack it but I got to the stage where I just couldnt cope with the crap any longer it was making me miserable and eating away my self confidence, and i was taking it out on the kids.

Hey there,

Chin up. FWIW I think you did the right thing There's nothing worse than hating your job - you spend too much time at work for it to be somewhere that makes you unhappy. I'm sure something fabulous will come along. I've got my fingers crossed for you!
Old Jun 1st 2005, 4:22 am

gedge has disabled reputation

c'est la vie.
It was probably going to happen anyway from the sounds of it. You just done added a bit of the shock factor.
Sometimes it's the best way.
Sure you'll get another job, anyone who can stand up for themselves like that can succeed. Good luck in your next job.
Old Jun 1st 2005, 4:28 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey don't worry, things will work out. There is nothing worse than staying in a job you hate, it is sould destroying, after all you spend most of yur waking hours there.
Don't worry abput references, they have to give you one. if they do put anything negative i.e left giving no notice, just make sure you explane why you left and that you worked for your previous employer sooooo long with no problems.
Good luck, keep smiling

Louise
Old Jun 1st 2005, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

Good for you!
Old Jun 1st 2005, 5:50 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Good onya!

No point in making yourself miserable. Sounds like you're a pretty strong person with a good head on your shoulders. I'm sure you'll find something much better soon.

Siren
Old Jun 1st 2005, 5:57 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry to hear your news, but I dont agree with the others here, every penny counts in a new country and maybe you should have looked for a new job while still getting a wage or at least have put a few feelers out.
Hope you get sorted soon.
Old Jun 1st 2005, 6:20 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by paulf
Sorry to hear your news, but I dont agree with the others here, every penny counts in a new country and maybe you should have looked for a new job while still getting a wage or at least have put a few feelers out.
Hope you get sorted soon.
Well yes that's obvious, but too late now. I wouldn't advise people to chuck in their jobs without thinking of the practical issues, but shit happens.
The only thing to do now is focus on the positives, you can't save spilt milk.
Old Jun 1st 2005, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

I walked out of a job years ago in the uk. I had been there for years - I won't go into the reasons, but it was making me very unhappy. At the time I was the main earner with a mortgage and two small children. From the outside it must have looked like a mad decision - it ended up being one of the best decisions of my life.

Sometimes risks are worth taking. It depends what is more important to you - sanity/health or money/security.

Rachel
Old Jun 1st 2005, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

Amanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really nice

No point in staying somewhere you hate. Why put them on your CV - 4 months isn't long - just say that you have been settling in up until now! That way you can refer them to your employers in the UK.
Old Jun 1st 2005, 6:39 am
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you. Most people (me included) wouldnt have the guts to do that, no matter how unhappy they were. As you said "its not what you moved there for" Well done.
Old Jun 1st 2005, 6:57 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

No point crying over splilt milk and all that but I know Malc has warned me that if I do get a job somewhere (rather than work from home) the Aussies may well make my life hell for a bit just to see what type of person I am. He had same happen to him when on his WHV and going round fruit picking etc. he said a lot of them give you stick just to see if you are a whinging Pom or not!
Old Jun 1st 2005, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

hi, I totally agree with unco. We spend so much of our life at work, and I've seen enough friends terribly unhappy due to work circumstances. It affects the rest of your life and it's just not worth it. I loved my last job, but the office politics just got too much at the end, and I was relieved to be leaving to come here.

I'm not actually working yet, but I sympathise and sending you karma
Old Jun 1st 2005, 7:19 am
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Hi jwinch,
If it's making you that unhappy you have done the right thing. There will be other jobs. Unfortunately, it happens all over. I have been very happy in my job for 6 years well that was until they found out I was going to Oz. Since September my life has been hell with all the bitching and back stabbing. I just can't wait to leave but cannot do this until we have exchanged contracts on the house. As soon as that is done, I'm handing in my notice.
You will find another job soon, in the mean time try not to worry. Good luck.
Sarah
Old Jun 1st 2005, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: OMG - What have i gone and done !!

You're not alone, after finding what I though was a fantastic job - I loved it, thought all my Xmas's had come at once - it started of brilliant for the first couple of months, then the boss started to show his true colours (I should have been more concerned about the two previous employees who didn't last more than two months) a corporate psychopath I believe is the correct title. I walked out after three months and a lot of soul searching. I have worked in the same type of industry for over twenty years but you cannot let yourself become someones punch bag - you have to be able to look at yourself in the mirror each day.

I'm still looking and still very happy about my decision to quit - Enjoy the beer something will turn up

Regards

Scot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.