Olympics Officialy Closed for British Expats

Old Aug 18th 2004, 1:06 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough
Default Olympics Officialy Closed for British Expats

Olympic Medal Tally - Closed
Old Aug 18th 2004, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default Re: Olympics Officialy Closed for British Expats

What the hell have they done that for???!!!

I was enjoying debating the Olympics. I didnt notice any swearing or anything, just a few "kiddies" being their usual immature selves..why spoil it for those who were debating?
Old Aug 18th 2004, 1:36 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by podgypossum
What the hell have they done that for???!!!

I was enjoying debating the Olympics. I didnt notice any swearing or anything, just a few "kiddies" being their usual immature selves..why spoil it for those who were debating?
So much for freedom a speech. We might have well as been on an internet forum in China or Iran where they censor everything. The debate got heated
but it did'nt go too far.

Last edited by wombat42; Aug 18th 2004 at 1:41 am.

Old Aug 18th 2004, 1:43 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by wombat42
So much for freedom a speech. We might have well as been on an internet forum in China or Iran where they censor everything. The debate got heated
What freedom of speech? Show me where that's guaranteed to you on this forum. Cheers.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 3:00 am
Just Joined

PopeyeDoyle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Quinkana
They probably saw you replying to your own post and thought, "well, it looks like they've lost the plot completely."
Old Aug 18th 2004, 3:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I'm at a loss on these closed threads. Jayrs thread "The dopey country" got shut down within minutes. All it was was an aussie C&P about aussie research on Australias dope problem being worse than UK USA and Netherlands, most of us living here know that so why we could not discuss it I still dont know. Waffling on about palm trees and beaches seems the only safe option
Old Aug 18th 2004, 4:56 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

I saw when the "new look" forum started they left the moderators only space open and I read a post by JAJ. He seemed far to trigger happy on closing threads. I told him so but it appears to have made no difference.

JAJ and other mods leave the god damn threads alone!!!!

If your going to close a thread at least have the decency to post why it has been shutdown. You could even try a warning or removing the items that have offended someone. The forum has been very flat of late and this constant thread closing will only serve to make it worse.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 6:05 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by HUP
I saw when the "new look" forum started they left the moderators only space open and I read a post by JAJ. He seemed far to trigger happy on closing threads. I told him so but it appears to have made no difference.

JAJ and other mods leave the god damn threads alone!!!!

If your going to close a thread at least have the decency to post why it has been shutdown. You could even try a warning or removing the items that have offended someone. The forum has been very flat of late and this constant thread closing will only serve to make it worse.

I like the idea of a yellow card flashing on a thread as your warning followed by the red card if you go overboard.
Its a bit like being back at school just now & having the teachers check your work.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Ooops... i posted this on the other thread and it really belongs in here...

I doubt we will be given any answers either.

This section of the forum is titled "Australian Lifestyle and Culture"

It seems we cannot discuss political issues relating to Aus or sporting issues either!! So what category does this fall into if it doesnt fall into part of Australian life?

We already have a whole section designated to immigration issues. Granted there is sports section, but the olympics thread did deal with issues directly related to Aus!!

I am also beginning to feel that this site is not really here for anyone who already lives in Aus, and it really is us who ARE British expats!!
We dont really get much voice in the media over here, and it is nice to have a place where we can discuss things relating to how we see it, whether we agree or not. It seems we do not have a voice on expats either!!!

Very sad
Old Aug 18th 2004, 6:17 am
owieb

Originally Posted by HUP
If your going to close a thread at least have the decency to post why it has been shutdown.
Totally agree.

Old Aug 18th 2004, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you. That must be a first - does that mean we both share a gold medal?!

[Perhaps the thread was closed because it didn't have the usual 'how much is lettuce today?' or 'what made you first decide to adopt an Oz accent?' drivel.]
Old Aug 18th 2004, 7:07 am
Brisbane 7th December

pocketdynamo125 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
I agree with you. That must be a first - does that mean we both share a gold medal?!

[Perhaps the thread was closed because it didn't have the usual 'how much is lettuce today?' or 'what made you first decide to adopt an Oz accent?' drivel.]
Fantastic attitutde.
Have you ever considered that for people about to emigrate or in the process of doing so we actually find those threads interesting.
I'm sure I'm not the only one that has a hunger for as much information of day-to-day life in Australia as possible.
As I'm sure you remember when you first went out (before you came back and loved it) everything was exciting, silly things like how some cheese is called "Coon Tasty" or daydreaming to yourself about whether you'll have an accent when you visit home in two years time.

Just because it does not interest you anymore does not make it drivel or any less valid than someone who has come back and has "seen the light". However, I find it very interesting that someone who has come back would still spend so much of their time surfing through ex pat/emigration forums where so much of the discussion is specifically to do with emigration from UK to OZ.

Probably, I've taken this post to heart, but I get a little fed up of some people's dismissive attitude towards people who are either new to the forum or are genuinely excited to be going. Don't even get me started on Kong!
Old Aug 18th 2004, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pocketdynamo125
Fantastic attitutde.
Have you ever considered that for people about to emigrate or in the process of doing so we actually find those threads interesting.
I'm sure I'm not the only one that has a hunger for as much information of day-to-day life in Australia as possible.
As I'm sure you remember when you first went out (before you came back and loved it) everything was exciting, silly things like how some cheese is called "Coon Tasty" or daydreaming to yourself about whether you'll have an accent when you visit home in two years time.
Yes, I do remember having a non-PC chuckle about Coon cheese.

Just because it does not interest you anymore does not make it drivel or any less valid than someone who has come back and has "seen the light". However, I find it very interesting that someone who has come back would still spend so much of their time surfing through ex pat/emigration forums where so much of the discussion is specifically to do with emigration from UK to OZ.
Yes, sadly it's a bit of an addiction - like a soap opera. If you find my posting strange, you must really find it odd that the site also attracts postings from Aussies in Oz or those returning to Oz, and those people that aren't even emigrating. I believe that all these posts make it a far more interesting site.

You don't like Kong's posts? Perhaps you are one of those rose-tinted spectacle wearers that don't like to hear/read anything bad about Oz.

At least I have spent some time in both countries and have something to contribute : do you?
Old Aug 18th 2004, 7:51 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps the thread in question should have been moved to 'The locker room' or 'Take it outside' forums rather than totally closed.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 7:51 am
Brisbane 7th December

pocketdynamo125 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Yes, I do remember having a non-PC chuckle about Coon cheese.

Yes, sadly it's a bit of an addiction - like a soap opera. If you find my posting strange, you must really find it odd that the site also attracts postings from Aussies in Oz or those returning to Oz, and those people that aren't even emigrating. I believe that all these posts make it a far more interesting site.

You don't like Kong's posts? Perhaps you are one of those rose-tinted spectacle wearers that don't like to hear/read anything bad about Oz.

At least I have spent some time in both countries and have something to contribute : do you?
Touche. I would never say that the forum should be restricted to certain people or groups but you have to remember why people read it, they want to know about the lifestyle and culture of Australia whether it is the mundane and trivial or an in-depth discussion about modern Australian politics.
If I want to watch people having silly personal arguments about who's more right than the other and using childish put-downs to get their point across I'll watch the parliment channel.

To be honest, I would'nt say I've donned the specs much, I've been in and out of Australia for several years and am well aware of its good and all too often bad points. Take for example, the post you are currently adding to about Australian politics. That's the kind of threads and discussion needed. Bit of wit, clashing of views etc, discussion of Australian life and culture, not the kind of comments that end up making some posters look bitter and twisted. It is not so much the content of Kong's posts that irritate me but the motive. If you want to post an article about something negative in Australia, no problem, it can be discussed and that way people who just read the forum are able to get a rounded view of the subject.
However, when these posts are made normally Kong turns it into an Oz v UK slanging match and intelligent discussion goes out of the window.
Not to mention hijacking perfectly innocent and completely trivial posts about some minor facet of Australian life with a comment designed purely to start arguments. It's childish and unnecessary.

I find everything about Australia interesting and exciting, good or bad and want to hear it all so I can make my own opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.