Olympics

Old Aug 2nd 2008, 11:41 pm
Just Joined

shangrispa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Olympics

This thread is probably a little bit trivial and should be in the Barbie forum, however it would be useful to get answers to this from people still resident in the UK.

I notice that online video streams of the Olympics on the BBC website are only available for people still resident in the UK. It's probably no good watching Channel 7's coverage here because, if the Commonwealth Games are anything to go by, they will only show the Australian medal winning performances.

Anyone know of a website that will show the UK medal winning performances for people living outside the UK. Sky sports perhaps?

Thanks
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 12:46 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Olympics

Does the BBC telecast show any other medal winning performances besides UK? Why would you expect that Australian TV would show any other medal winners than their own? That's why it's called A U S T R A L I A.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 1:19 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shangrispa
This thread is probably a little bit trivial and should be in the Barbie forum, however it would be useful to get answers to this from people still resident in the UK.

I notice that online video streams of the Olympics on the BBC website are only available for people still resident in the UK. It's probably no good watching Channel 7's coverage here because, if the Commonwealth Games are anything to go by, they will only show the Australian medal winning performances.

Anyone know of a website that will show the UK medal winning performances for people living outside the UK. Sky sports perhaps?

Thanks
Some of the sports are being covered by SBS - they are more of a minority-focus channel.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 1:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Does the BBC telecast show any other medal winning performances besides UK? Why would you expect that Australian TV would show any other medal winners than their own? That's why it's called A U S T R A L I A.
Actually, the BBC probably does, but then it's pool of winning Brit athletes is less(!) And it is less of a tabloid format.

Well, anyway, here we go again. All I can say is, if you're sick of Brit athletes not winning and being shown on TV, give it a go yourself!

The whole point of elite sport is to choose a sport you are good at and enjoy and go out and do your best. If that means that you are better at it than your peers (which might be due to environment and funding) then so be it.

Give up when it becomes boring to win, or to compete, is all I can say.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

are we the only ones who find the olympics extremely booooooooring

give me the winter olympics anytime - love the luge, ski jumping etc, far more interesting
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 3:52 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
are we the only ones who find the olympics extremely booooooooring

give me the winter olympics anytime - love the luge, ski jumping etc, far more interesting
Me too. Actually, I enjoy the men's gynmastics. Other than that, I like the winter games much better.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 4:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

The only reason the BBC show more of other nations winning is because if they only showed the UK, it would only take up a couple of minutes each night. I imagine that US coverage would only cover US wins.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 4:10 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by moneypen20
The only reason the BBC show more of other nations winning is because if they only showed the UK, it would only take up a couple of minutes each night. I imagine that US coverage would only cover US wins.
Yes, you're right. CBC in Canada focus on Canadian medal performances; ABC in the States focuses on American performances, etc. It's not just a Australian thing.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 4:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

The more pertinent question is why the BBC refuses to stream its coverage outside the United Kingdom.

It's just another way (like the double fee and third class service for passports) where the interests of British citizens overseas are ignored by the current British government.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 4:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

In the same way that everytime an internet argument ends up with someone drawing parrallels with the Nazis, and that person automatically losing their argument, can we also have a rule this year where noone is allowed to bang on about what gets shown on (in this case) Australian tv.....?

And just enjoy what we get to see. It's only a couple of weeks of programming after all.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

upyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
In the same way that everytime an internet argument ends up with someone drawing parrallels with the Nazis, and that person automatically losing their argument, can we also have a rule this year where noone is allowed to bang on about what gets shown on (in this case) Australian tv.....?

And just enjoy what we get to see. It's only a couple of weeks of programming after all.
Fact of the matter is, even if they only cover Australians winning medals it's going to be a huge improvement on the pile of wank that normally passes for terestrial TV viewing over here.
Beach volleyball or Battle of the Choirs, Dancing with the 'stars', Celebrity Singing Bee?. Know what I'll be watching.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 9:08 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by upyerfud
Fact of the matter is, even if they only cover Australians winning medals it's going to be a huge improvement on the pile of wank that normally passes for terestrial TV viewing over here.
Beach volleyball or Battle of the Choirs, Dancing with the 'stars', Celebrity Singing Bee?. Know what I'll be watching.
I don't normally watch the usual rubbish reality type celebrity stuff but I loved the Singing Bee show. Not much to do here in Perth
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 12:04 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by upyerfud
Thomas the Tank Engine?
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

shangrispa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Countries should telecast medal wiinning performances other than their pwn countrypeople when someone deserves a watch e.g. world or Olympic records are broken. Australia were so self centred during the Commonwealth Games, we only got to see Australian record breakers.

To the replies that said the Olympics are boring, I am at age when I remember in the 80's the UK had world class middle distance athhletes, in particular Seb Coe was a legend, plus he had a bit of competition with Ovett and Cram. Suppose I'm longing for new Coe's Ovett's Cram's to come along with being interested in this years Olympics. There is still a chance Paula Radcliffe could run.

Agree with the other reality drivel that's on at present. Not sure what Ch7 are thinking with their new host for Dancing with the Stars, maybe it's to encourage more youngsters to watch.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 9:39 pm
Northern Monkey

adamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to all

The comment blaming the UK government for the BBC not showing their Olympic coverage outside of the UK is so ridiculous that not even the Daily Mail would print it.
The IOC negotiate its television coverage with individual countries, allowing the BBC to effectively broadcast worldwide would completely undermine this. Why would any national broadcaster pay for the IOC millions for broadcast rights if their viewers knew they could watch it for free on the BBC i-player So the BBC not making it available to international viewers will solely be down to the IOC and will have nothing to do the government.
By all means blame Brown and he cronies for mishandling Northern Rock, Iraq and knife crime, but they're not at fault for everything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.