Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Olympic Medal Tally

Olympic Medal Tally

Old Aug 16th 2004, 9:38 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Olympic Medal Tally

Originally Posted by Ulujain
Give Australia time and they'll get ahead. Just like they have with any other sport the British invented and introduced to Australia.

Seriously though, Australia's prowess at sport has a very simple origin: Australia's climate. It's conducive to sport and physical activity.
That used to be a major reason for an above par performance. Todays exceptional perfomormances are as a result of the AIS looking at best practise in every area. A large dosh of cash was and is still needed followed by getting the best coaching staff from around the world. Poaching of players from around the world, providing the best training facilities in the world, developing the best practises in world are all part of the whole picture. I visited the AIS last year and the attention to detail in every area is stunning.

Sadly there is a negative impact and a recent study of victorian schoolchildren showed a shocking level of steroid abuse. I hope the pursuit of sporting excellence is not producing an unbalanced youth unaware that life beyond winning at sports exists.

Shame the weather doesn't keep enough kids active enough as childhood obesity rates here are as high as the UK here.

As far as the football goes it is down to politics of the federations. Play as Britain and FIFA may move to merge the federations. Shame really as the youth aspect of olympics football would be good for the players. The European clubs are also less than favourable to a tournament taking players mid season.
Old Aug 16th 2004, 9:54 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bondipom
That used to be a major reason for an above par performance. Todays exceptional perfomormances are as a result of the AIS looking at best practise in every area. A large dosh of cash was and is still needed followed by getting the best coaching staff from around the world. Poaching of players from around the world, providing the best training facilities in the world, developing the best practises in world are all part of the whole picture. I visited the AIS last year and the attention to detail in every area is stunning.

Sadly there is a negative impact and a recent study of victorian schoolchildren showed a shocking level of steroid abuse. I hope the pursuit of sporting excellence is not producing an unbalanced youth unaware that life beyond winning at sports exists.

Shame the weather doesn't keep enough kids active enough as childhood obesity rates here are as high as the UK here.

As far as the football goes it is down to politics of the federations. Play as Britain and FIFA may move to merge the federations. Shame really as the youth aspect of olympics football would be good for the players. The European clubs are also less than favourable to a tournament taking players mid season.
The Olympics used to be a strictly amateur competition meeting. Around the 1960's, East European countries flouted that rule to gain prestige through Olympic success. They left Australian and other nation's amateur teams in their wake. The Olympic committees had little choice but to accept professional athletes. From that change of rules, the AIS grew.

Different manias grip different nations at different times.

Oh, and g'day!
Old Aug 16th 2004, 10:01 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Quinkana
The Olympics used to be a strictly amateur competition meeting. Around the 1960's, East European countries flouted that rule to gain prestige through Olympic success. They left Australian and other nation's amateur teams in their wake. The Olympic committees had little choice but to accept professional athletes. From that change of rules, the AIS grew.

Different manias grip different nations at different times.

Oh, and g'day!
Gday megs
Old Aug 16th 2004, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Wombat you have the greatest way of showing aussies up at their worst. Try saying what you wrote.

"Australia is second in the WORLD great britain way down the list somewhere behind slovakia".

This is such a typical but sad aussie attitide, anyone who lives here will know what I mean, its not pride its little dick syndrome, makes us look like we cant do much else so we have to brag about sport.

Tonights news will be just the same, probably wont even hear who came first
The Oz obsession with "mine is bigger than yours - especially if you're are a Pom" is a great example of the Oz feeling of inferiority. Pathetic.

Mind you, you can't really blame Aussies can you? After all, the convicts that were transported Down Under weren't the best and the brightest - otherwise they wouldn't have been caught in the first place!
Old Aug 16th 2004, 11:14 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Mind you, you can't really blame Aussies can you? After all, the convicts that were transported Down Under weren't the best and the brightest - otherwise they wouldn't have been caught in the first place!

And I say the ones that sent those convicts to a paradise like Oz werent exactly bright either......
Old Aug 16th 2004, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Give Australia time and they'll get ahead. Just like they have with any other sport the British invented and introduced to Australia.

Seriously though, Australia's prowess at sport has a very simple origin: Australia's climate.
Which explains why Oz folk are up there in the obesity tables along with UK and USA

The climate is only partially responsible for sporting obsession. There are other more significant reasons. After all, when it existed, East Germany used to do very well in the Olympics - hardly sun-kissed in East Berlin is it?

My guess is the Oz obsession with sport began as a way of saying "We may have started as convicts. But now, look at us - aren't we fine, strapping types. (And that was just the women ) but we're all healthy blah, blah..." Yes, it's their sense of inferiority...again.

And of course, Aussies love to serve it up to the Brits - obviously they have to do it on the playing field cos they couldn't do it any other way.

Oh, and don't forget the huge amount of money that the Oz government poured into the Australian Institute of Sport when Oz didn't win one gold medal in the Montreal olympics in '76. Even UK did better than Oz. But, did we give a s**t? Nope.

Want to become sporting stars? Obsession and money - that's all it takes.
Old Aug 16th 2004, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hels
...a paradise like Oz werent exactly bright either......
Can't speak for you, but my version of paradise doesn't involve sun block SPF 20000, and some of the most venomous creatures on earth...
Old Aug 16th 2004, 12:06 pm
Brisbane 7th December

pocketdynamo125 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't speak for you, but my version of paradise doesn't involve sun block SPF 20000, and some of the most venomous creatures on earth...
I don't know, the UK has got its fair share
Old Aug 16th 2004, 12:21 pm
Badge

Want to become sporting stars? Obsession and money - that's all it takes.
Mike mate.. if you were as obsessed about sport as you were statistics maybe you could give us a whirl at an Olympic discipline!!

What's your game mate - I'm sure you play something..

There's a fair few people interested in the Olympics in the UK. eg Redgrave fans etc.

Aussies come over to the UK and participate in the UK marketplace so they level the field on equal terms with Brits..

BM

Old Aug 16th 2004, 12:35 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

And of course, Aussies love to serve it up to the Brits - obviously they have to do it on the playing field cos they couldn't do it any other way.
Wrong. Australia's rock in the middle of the ocean is bigger than the UK's rock in the middle of the ocean.

Ball's Pyramid defeats Rockall
Old Aug 16th 2004, 1:07 pm
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

Five gold so far, all won by women
Old Aug 16th 2004, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

PopeyeDoyle is an unknown quantity at this point

Give Australia time and they'll get ahead. Just like they have with any other sport the British invented and introduced to Australia..
I don't suppose there's any chance of Australia channeling more of it's efforts into getting ahead of the British in something that might benefit us all? ie Television, film, music, literature, the arts....basically anything creative?

Seriously though, Australia's prowess at sport has a very simple origin: Australia's climate. It's conducive to sport and physical activity.
As Mike's explained, this is utter crud. I genuinely am happy for you though, as judging by the media coverage here it's the most important thing in the world, but why you feel the need to have a dig at us for it when we couldn't give a toss is just beyond me.
Old Aug 16th 2004, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Some aspects of a country's character need no further explanation. For example:

I was having a chat with a couple of Kiwis the other day and commented:

" 'The Big Issue' is sold in UK and Oz. But, the Aussies probably call it 'The Even Bigger Issue' "

...and the Kiwis had a good laugh over that.
Old Aug 16th 2004, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by badgersmount
Aussies come over to the UK and participate in the UK marketplace so they level the field on equal terms with Brits..

BM
'Tis true that most Aussies with talent do not hang around in Oz - it's too hard trying to get themselves heard above the clamour of AFL fans banging their parochial drums
Old Aug 16th 2004, 1:54 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by PopeyeDoyle
I don't suppose there's any chance of Australia channeling more of it's efforts into getting ahead of the British in something that might benefit us all? ie Television, film, music, literature, the arts....basically anything creative?
I doubt Australia officially gives a rat's arse whether to get ahead of the British. Have you no concept of doing things for the sake of one's nation? Maybe we take pride in competing and winning. If you dislike Australia's media, don't have anything to do with it. I live in the US and I can honestly say I have close to zero involvement with media here.
As Mike's explained, this is utter crud. I genuinely am happy for you though, as judging by the media coverage here it's the most important thing in the world, but why you feel the need to have a dig at us for it when we couldn't give a toss is just beyond me.
Mike explained nothing of the sort, for starters. Secondly, feel free to have a dig back at me, I'm a big boy, I can take it. As for giving a toss, dont go there as you obviously do give a toss.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.