Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Old Style Driving Licence

Old Style Driving Licence

Old Dec 23rd 2003, 10:29 pm
Merlot

Default Re: Old Style Driving Licence

Originally posted by bondipom
Yes but for those years you have been PR you have been driving illegally and uninsured.

You are correct the Aussie licence is the most widely accepted piece of ID but surely they must accept other forms of ID for sending parcels.
If you go for car insurance in Oz some companies ask "How long have you held an Australia Licence", bugger the trillion years you have held it in the UK, doesn't count.

I got mine in 1999 in NSW and next year can apply for the Gold one I believe, top level licence for good drivers. Before then I drove 2 year on a UK one as I was firstly a working holiday maker (12 months), then 2 year temporary spouse visa (2 years and no rights whatsover).

At that time I spoke to the NSW RTA who look after licensing and also to the NSW Police. As I was on the Temporary Spouse Visa they had no hard and fast rules and depending on the situation I could be fined or maybe not. I did get pulled on a random breath test and the Bobby's where fine. If I had been drink driving and killed a 6 year old I would have had the book thrown at me and insurance invalidated.

It is great to have photo ID here in Oz as you get asked almost everywhere now.