Old gits thread

Old Mar 20th 2007, 11:28 pm
Pasta Fari

Karl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud of
Default Old gits thread

I'm pushing 45, which I think makes me venerable and ancient for this Forum. Just wondering about the immigration experiences of others who are just as youthfully challenged. The good, the bad and the ugly experiences.

Everyone's circumstances are different I know, but I just wish I went through this process 10 years ago!

Cheers
Karl
Old Mar 20th 2007, 11:36 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old gits thread

Originally Posted by Karl & Ann
I'm pushing 45, which I think makes me venerable and ancient for this Forum. Just wondering about the immigration experiences of others who are just as youthfully challenged. The good, the bad and the ugly experiences.

Everyone's circumstances are different I know, but I just wish I went through this process 10 years ago!

Cheers
Karl
Well we have you beat!! OH is 50 and I am 45!! oldest gits in town almost, there are other venerable members out there I think

Kim
Old Mar 20th 2007, 11:44 pm
Pasta Fari

Karl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by asher
Well we have you beat!! OH is 50 and I am 45!! oldest gits in town almost, there are other venerable members out there I think

Kim
Jeez, have you had a blue rinse yet?

Any thoughts on the process? Cheap flights from Saga....

Karl
Old Mar 20th 2007, 11:46 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Karl
I'm 47 next Tuesday...! We came out on the Business Visa route which seems to be very straight forward and processing times are quite quick, about 10 weeks for us... The big pain is being over 45 which means you have to get state sponsorship first which is a joke... I'm sure it keeps a few people in local government in a job but other than that I can't see the point... You have to produce a business plan telling them what you're going to do, etc but then there's no requirement to actually do it...! So any planning from any state about what skills they might be looking for is straight out the window... And there's various agents who will do the whole plan for you for a nice fee... NSW recently wrote to people about the obvious recycling of business plans... Getting the state sponsorship took 8 weeks... If you're under 45 there's no requirement and you can settle wherever...
Old Mar 20th 2007, 11:54 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Jeez, have you had a blue rinse yet?

Any thoughts on the process? Cheap flights from Saga....

Karl
funny you should say that, just bought blue black hair dye!!
I think the main difference for us is we have accumulated more stuff and have no parents in his case and elderly in my plus very elderly grandmother!!
Do you know I havent tried Saga yet, will have to give it a go!!

Kim
Old Mar 21st 2007, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by rodders39
I'm 47 next Tuesday...! We came out on the Business Visa route which seems to be very straight forward and processing times are quite quick, about 10 weeks for us... The big pain is being over 45 which means you have to get state sponsorship first which is a joke... I'm sure it keeps a few people in local government in a job but other than that I can't see the point... You have to produce a business plan telling them what you're going to do, etc but then there's no requirement to actually do it...! So any planning from any state about what skills they might be looking for is straight out the window... And there's various agents who will do the whole plan for you for a nice fee... NSW recently wrote to people about the obvious recycling of business plans... Getting the state sponsorship took 8 weeks... If you're under 45 there's no requirement and you can settle wherever...
we have 457 visa as OH is in great demand and Oz apparently hasnt produced enough railway people all went very quickly the biggest hold up was me and my medical as I am a nurse had to have the full works.

OH is already in Oz and could have been there sooner if I hadn't dragged my feet as sons grown up and don't want to come with us!! I think if you have the skills and a decent amount of work left in you Oz will gladly take you.

Kim
Old Mar 21st 2007, 12:17 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
...I think if you have the skills and a decent amount of work left in you Oz will gladly take you...
Yes I think so too... and why not...

I just feel for some of the tradies that come over and have to do all this retraining stuff...
Old Mar 21st 2007, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

We are both nearly 45.

I am heading to Perth next week for interviews/meetings to try and secure a job via the ENS route.

I have made what feels like millions of fruitless early-morning phone calls to potential Aus employers, none of whom were interested ...... UNTIL I decided to travel there and be available for interviews in person. It's made all the difference and now plenty are interested and keen to meet/interview me in person. I now have some potentially good interviews/meetings lined up, with very good salaries on offer, too. Fingers crossed !
Old Mar 21st 2007, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by rodders39
Yes I think so too... and why not...

I just feel for some of the tradies that come over and have to do all this retraining stuff...
Yes that sounds really soul destroying, luckily OH has been working for many different UK rail firms project managing Comms so went straight to work. Degree helps as well. We are being badgered to apply for citizenship, I feel a bit guilty when I see the problems some of the others have.

I think it takes more courage to do this as an oldie as usually have grown kids who you leave behind. I am more cautious dont want to burn bridges.

Kim
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:27 am
I'd rather be fishin' !!!

Kernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud of

We can beat that - we are both 50! We are going over to Oz in May and are ver scared of the prospect of having to find jobs etc. Neither of us have degrees.

But still looking forward to the experience and the good weather
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

Most of the folks I've met have been 40 something as am I (which in case you didn't know is the new 30 something!)

Tracey
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:14 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Young whippersnappers!
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:48 am
Pasta Fari

Thanks for all the replies. Scariest thing for me is the fact that, once committed, failure is not an option. After sale of house, and costs in getting out to Australia, we'll be left with £60k if we want to buy a house. Any prolonged period without work is going to eat into that. Worst case would be skulking back to UK with little or no savings left, and no chance of buying property again in the UK.

If that sounds depressing - I do like to worry about the worst possible outcome. It's a bonus when it doesn't happen

Karl
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:51 am
Pasta Fari

Originally Posted by Ozzy dog
Hi,

Most of the folks I've met have been 40 something as am I (which in case you didn't know is the new 30 something!)

Tracey

Great. In a few years' time, 50something will be the new 40something. The only difference is - more bits will have either dropped off or stopped working, and the dribbling gets less controllable.

Speaking only for myself, of course!
Karl
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:08 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We're in our 40's as well. I'm 44 and hub has just had his 40th this past November. We've met a few people here who also came in their 40's, so you are not alone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.