Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Old chestnuts - Shipping and flights!

The Old chestnuts - Shipping and flights!

Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

EdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really nice
Default The Old chestnuts - Shipping and flights!

Just found out yesterday that the 457 was granted so am on cloud nine but also in a state of panic. The flights are filling up rapidly and we need to book both that and our serviced appartment in Melbourne asap, especially as the Grand Prix is on shortly after we arrive. I've got two questions, any responses would be very welcome!

Flights - work will only pay for economy one way tickets, the cheaper the better but I will have some say in the carrier. The choice is either Singapore economy or Emirates economy to Dubai with a sector upgrade to business onto the Melboure paid for by us. The sector upgrade will cost £675 each and my question is, is it worth it? Other than the extra room, the other advantage is that we will be granted a larger baggage allowance all the way through to Melbourne than if we fly with Singapore. With the latter option, we might stay for a night in SIN to break up the journey. However, online views on Emirates Business class are very mixed so some personal opinions on this would be great!

Shipping - worst case scenario, we're shipping around 25% of a 20ft container. Work again are paying but I think the quotes are far far too high. One is 1300 -2k depending on packing and one is 2-3k depending on packing. People on here seem to be taking whole containers for that price, am I missing a trick or are work being ripped off? Theyr'e preferred suppliers but if I can get it substantially cheaper then they will pay. Ultimately, I want to haggle as if things don't work out, I'll be paying it all back and I do feel both companies are having a laugh! Can anyone recommend good cheap shippers, we're just taking boxes, no furniture and not even our 28 inch telly.?

Sorry for war and peace but I need to get the flight sorted before the end of this week!

Cheers,

Edna xx
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

ice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to all
Default Re: The Old chestnuts - Shipping and flights!

Sorry, can't help much on the shipping or Emirates bus class, but can certainly say a few good words for Sing Airlines. They are, in my opinion, by far the best airline i have travelled in all these years, on long haul flights - UK to Malaysia, etc.

Just my little bit... if it helps at all..
Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:00 am
Whey hey got my Visa

allankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to all

Just wanted to say Congratulations on your Visa grant

Allan
Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

EdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really nice

Cheers!

Yes, have flown Singapore to Perth previously so can vouch for them being good. I just want a really fab luxurious start to our new life but my other half, who is the voice of doom (and reason!) is saying it's a waste of money. Is £675 each a lot for a 14 hr business class flight? In my head, it's just like us paying for our own economy flights but it's over Au$2k which would could easily spend elsewhere I suppose.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

ice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to all

Originally Posted by EdnaAverage
Cheers!

Yes, have flown Singapore to Perth previously so can vouch for them being good. I just want a really fab luxurious start to our new life but my other half, who is the voice of doom (and reason!) is saying it's a waste of money. Is £675 each a lot for a 14 hr business class flight? In my head, it's just like us paying for our own economy flights but it's over Au$2k which would could easily spend elsewhere I suppose.

Is the £675 just UK-SIN?? or UK-AUS?
If just up to SIN then it is expensive, but otherwise, grab it!!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

The £675 is to upgrade to business one way from Dubai to Melbourne, work are paying for one way economy. It's looking like I'm going to have to book it all up front myself and claim it back rather than being able to use our central travel agency as they can't accept payment from me and they're also more expensive for the same flights. If our travel policy applied, I'd be up the front anyway as it's over 8hrs flight time so that's going to be my riposte if they get funny!

I rang Emirates to double check how it would work and they were really unhelpful and suggested that you can only upgrade via FF miles. Going to ring the original travel agent tomorrow to see what the deal is and try to reserve the flights at least as they're filling up fast.

Edna x