Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ok your Singapore hotel recommendations please!!?

Ok your Singapore hotel recommendations please!!?

Old Apr 30th 2005, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ok your Singapore hotel recommendations please!!?

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Well have been doing my search on Singapore hotel reviews of all the names you have all mentioned - they all have good reviews and bad reviews which has muddled me up - location is a big factor.

I am now swaying towards the shangri-la hotel - can anyone elaborate on what its like - does it deserve its 5*'s?

The Garden deluxe room looks nice, or am I better to get a room in the main tower?

I think the valley wing with a butler might be a little out of our price range and I haven't even seen the prices yet!!!!!!!

Did originally want a room with panaoramic city views but could content myself if the bar in Shangri-la has good views.

The other hotel that gets good reviews on tripadvisor.com is 'Raffles The Plaza' a sister hotel of the main Raffles hotel but better priced. Anyone stayed there?

Lynn
Lynn you won't really get a city view from Shangr-i la, the tower isn't a sky scrapper.Its as high as the condos in front of it. We loved going there to eat , the lunch buffet was goodI think it was at the rose restaurant, and the main buffet in the large restaurant down near the pool was excellent.
The westin Plaza is across the road to Raffles hotel and next to Westin swissotel, again its tower isn't as high as the main Westin swissotel but you would get a view -to the front you'd see the Padang and the sea, to its left is Raffles and to the back is a church, the museum over to the left and Bras Basah road looking towards Orchard rd in the distance.
Hx
Old May 1st 2005, 8:40 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by helinuk
Lynn you won't really get a city view from Shangr-i la, the tower isn't a sky scrapper.Its as high as the condos in front of it. We loved going there to eat , the lunch buffet was goodI think it was at the rose restaurant, and the main buffet in the large restaurant down near the pool was excellent.
The westin Plaza is across the road to Raffles hotel and next to Westin swissotel, again its tower isn't as high as the main Westin swissotel but you would get a view -to the front you'd see the Padang and the sea, to its left is Raffles and to the back is a church, the museum over to the left and Bras Basah road looking towards Orchard rd in the distance.
Hx
Yes its formerly known as the Westin Plaza but since Raffles took it over its apparantly had a facelift - the premier deluxe rooms in the South Tower sound wonderful, will try and post a link to it.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...Singapore.html

The Mandarin on Orchard rd does not get very good reveiws - I think it sounds like standards have slipped.

Pan pacific also gets mixed reviews now although there panaoramic balcony rooms look lovely.
http://singapore.panpacific.com/hotel/photo_20.html

The Shangri-La is still a possibility - would not mind not having a city view as long as the hotel itself is really good.

decisions, decisions,!!!!!

Lynn

Last edited by lynnlovessun; May 1st 2005 at 8:44 am.
Old May 1st 2005, 8:47 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Yes its formerly known as the Westin Plaza but since Raffles took it over its apparantly had a facelift - the premier deluxe rooms in the South Tower sound wonderful, will try and post a link to it.

The Mandarin on Orchard rd does not get very good reveiws - I think it sounds like standards have slipped.

Pan pacific also gets mixed reviews now although there panaoramic balcony rooms look lovely.
http://singapore.panpacific.com/hotel/photo_20.html

The Shangri-La is still a possibility - would not mind not having a city view as long as the hotel itself is really good.

decisions, decisions,!!!!!

Lynn

I know it's a shocking decision to have to make
Beware beer costs a small fortune in Singapore £4 for a half
Old May 1st 2005, 11:53 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Have you stayed Fraser?
The Shangri-La in Sydney (used to be known as ANA) is also excellent. Stayed there a couple of times. They do have a high standard so would expect Sinapore to be the same.
Old May 1st 2005, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

justmd is an unknown quantity at this point

Marina Mandarin! Can't fault it at all, walkable distance to Raffles, shops restaurants, fantastic service, amazing views if your lucky enough to stay on the top two floors and an outstanding atrium!
Old May 1st 2005, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

The Mackay Mob will become famous soon enoughThe Mackay Mob will become famous soon enough

[We stayed at the Swissotel Stamford. Loved it.

Get a harbour view room, has fantastic views of harbour.
It's close to Raffles ( kids loved throwing peanut shells on the floor, kept them amused long enough for us to throw down a couple of singapore slings) also walking distance to harbour with lots of restaurants.
The hotel is over a big shopping centre too.

We would go back there without a second thought.
Old May 6th 2005, 11:50 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to let you know I have booked 'Raffles The plaza' hotel (formerly the Westin Plaza) for our 4 night stopover 1/11/05 onwards.

The hotel got great reviews on www.tripadvisor.com and we have booked a 'premier deluxe room in the south tower' which sounded the best rooms from the reviews.

Will let you know how it is!!!! Anyone been to this hotel?

Lynn
Old May 7th 2005, 7:31 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Just to let you know I have booked 'Raffles The plaza' hotel (formerly the Westin Plaza) for our 4 night stopover 1/11/05 onwards.

The hotel got great reviews on www.tripadvisor.com and we have booked a 'premier deluxe room in the south tower' which sounded the best rooms from the reviews.

Will let you know how it is!!!! Anyone been to this hotel?

Lynn

Lucky you we can't even make our mind up about stop of destination, I'd like to go to Hong Kong but not sure how suitable it is for the kids. We've been to Singapore (twice), Malaysia and Thailand (4 times) so fancy somewhere different
Old May 7th 2005, 8:14 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fraser
Lucky you we can't even make our mind up about stop of destination, I'd like to go to Hong Kong but not sure how suitable it is for the kids. We've been to Singapore (twice), Malaysia and Thailand (4 times) so fancy somewhere different
I know what you mean. Looks like we are also going to Singapore deffinatley want to visit there as my parents used to live there and I've never been.

But also torn about flying the other way via USA and Fiji aaahh its a hard life isnt it
Old May 7th 2005, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

sara-anthony3108 is a jewel in the roughsara-anthony3108 is a jewel in the roughsara-anthony3108 is a jewel in the roughsara-anthony3108 is a jewel in the roughsara-anthony3108 is a jewel in the rough

best place to stay for night life is down by the river .. swissotel nice ..
can get to shop easy duruing the day ... losts of nice rest and bars very close by ..

Hi,

I have done a search on this and a few names have cropped up but nothing recent - as we just got our visas granted we will be booking our flights (more than likely with Emirates from Glasgow) with a stopover in Singapore (as we have been to Dubai before) sometime next week.

As we are a young couple, no kids we want something decent (at least 4 *)
But still reasonably affordable - The Raffles is probably out of our budget although the Raffles Plaza hotel on trailfinders appears cheaper than the original raffles hotel directly opposite it.

I have done Google search and looked at reviews but would love to get any of YOUR recommendations and experiences - you want a bit of luxury when you are only there few nights, and a central location to get the most out of the short break.

Thanks Lynn
Old Nov 1st 2005, 2:44 pm

amanda76 is an unknown quantity at this point

well then lynn!! whats it like?

for those who dont know, lynn is at last there and experiencing exactly what the hotel is like!!

let us know!!

mand
Old Nov 1st 2005, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Pickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura about

My girlfriend and me stopped in the marina mandarin, very very good hotel and I would definatly stop there again.

oh but don't fly emirates, there the worst airline in the world. will never ever fly with them again i would rather swim there than fly with them again.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Well have been doing my search on Singapore hotel reviews of all the names you have all mentioned - they all have good reviews and bad reviews which has muddled me up - location is a big factor.

I am now swaying towards the shangri-la hotel - can anyone elaborate on what its like - does it deserve its 5*'s?

The Garden deluxe room looks nice, or am I better to get a room in the main tower?

I think the valley wing with a butler might be a little out of our price range and I haven't even seen the prices yet!!!!!!!

Did originally want a room with panaoramic city views but could content myself if the bar in Shangri-la has good views.

The other hotel that gets good reviews on tripadvisor.com is 'Raffles The Plaza' a sister hotel of the main Raffles hotel but better priced. Anyone stayed there?

Lynn
Go to trip advisor and look for review by readingsuzio - rather than me retyping what I felt here. I could not fault it though - the place is amazing, above all the service is second to none. We had a standard room, and that was more than adequate.

Sounds like we all love Singapore on here!!!
Old Nov 1st 2005, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzimc
Go to trip advisor and look for review by readingsuzio - rather than me retyping what I felt here. I could not fault it though - the place is amazing, above all the service is second to none. We had a standard room, and that was more than adequate.

Sounds like we all love Singapore on here!!!
Oops just realised this is a little late!
Old Nov 1st 2005, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by windsurfer WA
Shangri La on Sentosa Island was good, great for kids as we stayed their a few days on our way out, plenty to do nearby to keep them occupied.
Regards windsurfer W A
We stayed here on our way to a hol in Oz in 2003 - loved it. Michelle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.