Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OK- What should I bring from UK ?

Wikiposts

OK- What should I bring from UK ?

Old Nov 2nd 2004, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

dolly1 is a jewel in the roughdolly1 is a jewel in the roughdolly1 is a jewel in the roughdolly1 is a jewel in the rough
Default OK- What should I bring from UK ?

Hi this is a great dilema-
Its got to the selling or keeping stage. we fly on 5.1.05
We have done a car boot & sold a wardrobe on E bay .
Before I get carried away can those of you that have recently moved to OZ please advise me on what I should bring
- eg beds, wardrobes, washer, microwave,video, TV,settee(leather), spare computer, tools ect ect.
I know that its up to me to decide & a shared container was going to cost 2,700 pounds. But we thought that we would need to buy things any way while we waited for the container.
what are your thoughts?
Dolly X
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough
Default Re: OK- What should I bring from UK ?

Originally Posted by dolly1
Before I get carried away can those of you that have recently moved to OZ please advise me on what I should bring
- eg beds, wardrobes, washer, microwave,video, TV,settee(leather), spare computer, tools ect ect.
I know that its up to me to decide & a shared container was going to cost 2,700 pounds. But we thought that we would need to buy things any way while we waited for the container.
what are your thoughts?
Dolly X

Firstly, the quote you have for a shared container...this seems quite high for a shared conatiner. We are heading to Perth on 6.1.05 (a day after you) and have booked PSS. We are getting a 20 ft reefer container that holds 850cf for £2883. So for a couple of hundred more you could get your own which has its advantages. This is door to door, packing, shipping, customs, port fees and 10% GST in Oz. They pack one day and load the container the next, sealing it in front of you. It stays that way till customs in Oz so cuts down on transferring your things from van to warehouse to container and therefore the chance of things going astray.
We've decided to take almost all our things as it was only going to cost us £600 less for a shared container and this would not replace all the things we would leave behind. To get a shared container we would have had to cut out the 3 piece, the beds, the chests of drawers etc...
Buit at the same tiome we have car booted and are getting rid of some things. Decluttering our lives a bit really.
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 6:00 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, sorry to but in, but I have a similar question. Hope to be relocating to Perth early next year (if hubby gets the job offer!). Have originally decided to give it a go for 12 months or so and then decide whether to stay or come back.
My problem is what to do with our belongings. Do we ship everything over at a cost of approx £3000 and have to pay that again to ship back if we decide to come back or should we put everything in storage and send for it if we do decide to stay?
Problem then is what do we do when we get to Perth? Can we rent fully furnished or is it much more expensive? Or do we buy new when we get there?

Many thanks
Tracey
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tracey brien
Hi, sorry to but in, but I have a similar question. Hope to be relocating to Perth early next year (if hubby gets the job offer!). Have originally decided to give it a go for 12 months or so and then decide whether to stay or come back.
My problem is what to do with our belongings. Do we ship everything over at a cost of approx £3000 and have to pay that again to ship back if we decide to come back or should we put everything in storage and send for it if we do decide to stay?
Problem then is what do we do when we get to Perth? Can we rent fully furnished or is it much more expensive? Or do we buy new when we get there?

Many thanks
Tracey

To deal with your second point. If you were to store your things and then get to Perth and buy new there you are going to end up spending the equivalent of what you could have had shipped across. You can rent fully furnished. Try these sites and have a look at what's available. www.reiwa.com.au www.ljhooker.com.au www.raywhite.com.au
www.royweston.com.au www.professionals.com.au
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 7:36 am
aussie73

what are your thoughts?
Dolly X
Get rid of everything, bring nothing ,and buy everything you need once your in OZ. Buy brand new electrical items such as TV's and computers,washes
fridge, that way you are updating yourself with the latest technology and these items will last alot longer then the used electrical items you would have bought from the UK,
Buy cheap second hand furniture in OZ. Thats what l would do.

Last edited by aussie73; Nov 2nd 2004 at 7:44 am.

Old Nov 2nd 2004, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

vikk will become famous soon enoughvikk will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: OK- What should I bring from UK ?

Originally Posted by Ushas
To deal with your second point. If you were to store your things and then get to Perth and buy new there you are going to end up spending the equivalent of what you could have had shipped across. You can rent fully furnished. Try these sites and have a look at what's available. www.reiwa.com.au www.ljhooker.com.au www.raywhite.com.au
www.royweston.com.au www.professionals.com.au
Hi Tracey, I have exactly the same problem as you, I am hoping to go for good, but as I have heard it is pretty difficult to get work in Brisbane (as infant teacher as no quals or exp 2 do anything else) I am aware that I may have no choice but to return to UK for financial reasons. So I have been churning the same problem as you over in my head for some time. I've not done too much research yet but I'm thinking I might just go for a year & live as light as I can, maybe just send a small box of essentials over to begin & rent somewhere furnished with crockery etc as cheap as is bearably possible whilst I look for work & for somewhere fab to buy once I have found a permanent position at work. At which point I will hopefully ship my things over. Its only what I'm thinking of at the mo & it will undoubtedly change with time but it is very surprising just how much you can live without for 12 months. Just a suggestion. Please let me know how you get on & what you decide.
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 9:30 am
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

what are your thoughts?
Dolly X
Passport

Return ticket

Plenty of pounds sterling
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 9:36 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tracey brien

Many thanks
Tracey
hi tracey don't bother taking your tv has it won't work in oz and will need converting so just buy new there and prices are very good at moment .... and also if you put everything in storage for a year then ship it you will have to pay G.S.T (VAT) on them as you haven't been using them for a year after you arrived in oz ...basically if you have owned something and used it for a year or over before you ship it to oz there is no import tax on it
jonah's daddy
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 9:52 am

gedge has disabled reputation

This has been the subject of many debates before on here. Have a search.
Anyway the main points if I remember are:

(cost of shipping + insurance) V (cost of buying new - sale of items in uk)
sentinental value of items - remember you will be in a strange place and may need some familarity round you
length of shipping time - you will be without it all for many weeks, at both ends, and you may end up having to buy certain items here before yours arrive i.e. fridge
desire for new stuff - it's not often you get to replace old for new

We decided to bring almost everything, except some of the rubbish we had kept over the years. Total cost was about £2.5k. Have a look at Crown Relocations.
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 9:59 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for your advice

Still unsure what to do! will have a good think about pros and cons of both! would like to take my stuff with me as it is all fairly new and in good condition but IF we decide to return after 12 months or so can't help feeling would have thrown £6000 away on just shipping. Understand it is going to cost me whatever way it is done, but just want to get the costs as low as poss!

Tracey