Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OK - some dumb internet/wi-fi/mobile questions?

OK - some dumb internet/wi-fi/mobile questions?

Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute
Default OK - some dumb internet/wi-fi/mobile questions?

Hi

I apologise in advance for asking dumb questions that are probably obvious to everyone else.

1. Is there any reason we can't use our existing PAYG mobiles for the first month or so after arriving in Oz?

2. Can we then just buy an Oz SIM card and carry on using it, topping up with whichever company seem best?

3. We have bought a new lap top to take with us, how can we get an internet connection?

4. What on earth are wi-fi hotspots, is it where you can get an internet connection for free?

5. We would like to get an internet connection up asap, for researching rentals, managing bank accs, emails (catching up with BE), bearing in mind we will be in holiday acc for a few weeks, then probably a rental fro 6 - 12 months, whats the simplest way of doing this?

Thanks for any advice, I'm a bit lost with this and my hubby is a complete techo phobe so has even less idea than me!

Sam
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:23 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all
Default Re: OK - some dumb internet/wi-fi/mobile questions?

[QUOTE=Sammy T;6264317]Hi

I apologise in advance for asking dumb questions that are probably obvious to everyone else.

Hi Sam,

Sorry I don't have any answers for you as we will be in the same position, so will watch the responses you get with interest.

Anyone got an Idiots Guide as how to get online in OZ?

Last edited by ray2gill; Apr 25th 2008 at 12:24 pm. Reason: grammer
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

bobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Hi

1. Is there any reason we can't use our existing PAYG mobiles for the first month or so after arriving in Oz?

2. Can we then just buy an Oz SIM card and carry on using it, topping up with whichever company seem best?

3. We have bought a new lap top to take with us, how can we get an internet connection?

4. What on earth are wi-fi hotspots, is it where you can get an internet connection for free?

5. We would like to get an internet connection up asap, for researching rentals, managing bank accs, emails (catching up with BE), bearing in mind we will be in holiday acc for a few weeks, then probably a rental fro 6 - 12 months, whats the simplest way of doing this?

Thanks for any advice, I'm a bit lost with this and my hubby is a complete techo phobe so has even less idea than me!

Sam
1. No reason for them not to work as long as they are unlocked. You can get a PAYGO sim from almost anywhere.

2. See point 1.

3. It is very difficult to get any broadband here without a contract, many are at least 12 months long, and without any past history in Oz, companies are reluctant to give you one. You could get DATA enabled on your sim when your get one and use the bluetooth setting on your phone to allow it to become a modem. That way you can get surfing.

4. The WiFi hotspots are areas where you can access the internet via your laptop, mainly in city areas. You have to pay for access, sometimes by buying a top up card with a code on it. Not sure how much they are as I have never used one.

5. If you are in a rental, the owner may have broadband set up and allow you to use it for a charge.

We were in a furnished unit and I used my laptop to search for a wireless connection and found one two doors along from me. I knocked on his door and asked if I would be able to access his connection for a few weeks and offered to pay his broadband charges for the period I was there. I paid him in advance for two months and agreed not to do any heavy downloads.

He was as happy as a pig in S**t not having to pay for his internet for a couple of months.

Worth a try.

Good Luck

Bobby
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ray2gill;6264351]
Hi

Hi Sam,

Sorry I don't have any answers for you as we will be in the same position, so will watch the responses you get with interest.

Anyone got an Idiots Guide as how to get online in OZ?
Take a look at Lizzy Internet. You can get a monthly dial up account for less than $4.

Regarding your phone - yes, you can use your PAYG when you arrive...but it'll cost you an arm and a leg for the calls. Pop into any supermarket and pick up a PAYG SIM. Just make sure your handset is unlocked.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:42 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Sam,
re. using your existing PAYG - check what your current provider would charge you for roaming, you would be in another operator's network, so even a local call could cost you fortune. It may be nice to keep your home number for a while, but I personally plan to set up a voice message to let callers know my new Aussie number.

Bobby,
while DATA on your mobile is a nice fallback plan, I would not recommend it as primary/only means of online access - too damn slow and with tons of graphics and fancy animations in today's websites I would shoot myself waiting for a page to load. I guess I am spoiled with broadband Is it really true that you can not get a shorter term contract than 12 months??

NJ
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

bobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by newjersey
Sam,
re. using your existing PAYG - check what your current provider would charge you for roaming, you would be in another operator's network, so even a local call could cost you fortune. It may be nice to keep your home number for a while, but I personally plan to set up a voice message to let callers know my new Aussie number.

Bobby,
while DATA on your mobile is a nice fallback plan, I would not recommend it as primary/only means of online access - too damn slow and with tons of graphics and fancy animations in today's websites I would shoot myself waiting for a page to load. I guess I am spoiled with broadband Is it really true that you can not get a shorter term contract than 12 months??

NJ
Hi NJ

I have a 3G phone and was able to get a very fast speed for the time I was using it, unfortunately my credit was used up very quickly and was going to cost too much.

I have noticed that you can get a Wireless broadband connection from the likes of "3" and Soul and also Vodaphone here in OZ from as little as $19 a month for up to 2 gig a month on the 3g network which is faster than my 1 meg home connection, but again you need to sign for a contract, which is very hard when you just arrive. I tried and no one would give me one. You could offer to pay it all up front at around $480.

Bobby
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:54 pm
Canary who flew the nest

NCFC is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Sammy T;6264317]Hi

Hi,

Make sure you get your phone unblocked before you get here. Vodafone UK & Vodafone au are not the same. A Vodafone au sim did not work in our Uk phones and had a hell of a job getting them unblocked from over here.

Most hotspots allow you to pay with credit/debit card online so you just pay for what ever you want to use.

Hope this helps
Old Apr 25th 2008, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Check that your PAYG has international roaming - the cost of the calls will probably be prohibitive but if you only use it to accept calls (via your voicemail box) and sms you will be fine. Many Aus PAYG phones dont accommodate international roaming so do check it out before you rely on it. I always set my phone to mailbox when I go overseas because the cost of receiving calls from overseas is extortionate - they charge the recipient the cost from your country of origin so you would be paying the UK - Aus component. If you get the message that someone has called you can then use an international card with a landline to make calls back to them.

There are loads of wifi hotspots around - Starbucks and Macdonalds seem to have them pretty much universally these days and you can either buy a voucher (they seem to be Telstra hotspots) or pay by credit card for each session. I assume you have a lap top with wireless capabilities to go with it.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 9:39 pm
where is my gold ticket!!

michell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to all

Hi ,
I have a 3 contract phone which is tri band 3G, can i use it in oz?

regards
michell
Old Apr 26th 2008, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by michell
Hi ,
I have a 3 contract phone which is tri band 3G, can i use it in oz?

regards
michell
Sure can if it is unlocked before you go.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for your replies

I must still be really thick because I still don't get the WiFi Hot Spot thingy - who do you buy vouchers or credit from?

Mobiles - yeah, understand that one, will just have our Uk one for the time being, stock up on some credit and sort out a new SIM or phone when we arrive.

Getting an internet connection at home is going to depend on where we live, I guess, we'll have just have to hope that our rental is broadband ready.

Sam
Old Apr 26th 2008, 10:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nice

Thanks everyone for your replies

I must still be really thick because I still don't get the WiFi Hot Spot thingy - who do you buy vouchers or credit from?
Places (like Perth CBD) have free wi-fi zones/hotspots - no vouchers you just switch on, connect and away you go. Other places you buy a voucher (usually form the relevant establishment) connect to their portal using your web browser, enter the details from the voucher and away you go (these are usually quite expensive).

Getting an internet connection at home is going to depend on where we live, I guess, we'll have just have to hope that our rental is broadband ready.
You can also get wireless broadband kit from the likes of Vodafone, Optus, Telstra & 3, it's usually a USB device that you plug into your laptop/computer and it uses the mobile phone network (HSPDA) but these are only any good if your in the Metro Area, but your not tied to your house, move and it goes with you. There fine for e-mails & general surfing (I have one as a backup for travelling interstate etc) but you have to watch that you don't go over your monthly limit or it can get quite expensive (apparently)
Old Apr 26th 2008, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by filcomm
Places (like Perth CBD) have free wi-fi zones/hotspots - no vouchers you just switch on, connect and away you go. Other places you buy a voucher (usually form the relevant establishment) connect to their portal using your web browser, enter the details from the voucher and away you go (these are usually quite expensive).

You can also get wireless broadband kit from the likes of Vodafone, Optus, Telstra & 3, it's usually a USB device that you plug into your laptop/computer and it uses the mobile phone network (HSPDA) but these are only any good if your in the Metro Area, but your not tied to your house, move and it goes with you. There fine for e-mails & general surfing (I have one as a backup for travelling interstate etc) but you have to watch that you don't go over your monthly limit or it can get quite expensive (apparently)

Thanks for that

Sam
Old Apr 26th 2008, 10:39 pm
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

you can buy a 3g wireles sdongle for internet use. I have one in uk i am on payg at moment and buy an add-on get 7gb a month for £25. In oz i think they are on contract though its like a mobile that plugs into your laptop. Its $49 a month for 7gb download a month and thats on a 24month contract. Not sure if i can use my payg one in oz as its a british sim need to find out x
Old Apr 26th 2008, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

just buy an Oz sim for your phone. You can get one on Optus for $30, but it gives you $30 credit, so effectively it's free. You just top it up at any newsagent/woolworths etc.

As for broadband. Use an internet cafe while in holiday accommodation. When in a rental, get your phone and broadband as a package with AAPT. They allow you to pay an extra charge on signing up (I think it's only about $50) and this allows you to release yourself from the contract at any time with no penalty.

They were reccommended to us by our estate agent and we have had no probs at all. Calls back to the UK are $1.98 per 30 minutes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.