Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OK to ship food and med to Aus?

OK to ship food and med to Aus?

Old Oct 28th 2007, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

liza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to all
Default OK to ship food and med to Aus?

Hi there,
Do any of you know if it is o.k. to take any food stuffs (either canned or sealed packets) to Aus, and how about medicines, like Paracetamol, or the kid's cough syrups and vitamins?
Any of you taken wicker baskets (you know the commercial type you buy in UK for storage of all those little things!?)

Our shippers come in tomorrow and I'm still haggling over letting some things go. Any advice would be most welcome. Everything has been cleaned, no soil, no cobwebs, and any wooden carvings, etc. have been varnished.

If you have any idea, please let us know.
Thanks
Old Oct 28th 2007, 11:09 pm

GSNR will become famous soon enoughGSNR will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: OK to ship food and med to Aus?

Hi there,

We brought over the counter medicines like paracetamol, we got a doctor's note for the prescription medicines. We declared everything at the airport, and never had any problems. I'm not sure what food you can bring in, I do know that nuts, seeds and any animal and plant products are not allowed in. I hope this helps.

Cheers
Shelley
Old Oct 28th 2007, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OK to ship food and med to Aus?

Originally Posted by liza-bee
Hi there,
Do any of you know if it is o.k. to take any food stuffs (either canned or sealed packets) to Aus, and how about medicines, like Paracetamol, or the kid's cough syrups and vitamins?
Any of you taken wicker baskets (you know the commercial type you buy in UK for storage of all those little things!?)

Our shippers come in tomorrow and I'm still haggling over letting some things go. Any advice would be most welcome. Everything has been cleaned, no soil, no cobwebs, and any wooden carvings, etc. have been varnished.

Thanks
When we came over, we brought various prescription strength painkillers with us and declared them on the customs form. We also declared some fruit teas.

Nobody was interested in the painkillers, but the fruit teas were taking off of us at the customs inspection

If the drugs are easily available over here (paracetamol, vitamins etc.) personally, I wouldn't bother shipping or carrying them.

Cheers

Steve
Old Oct 29th 2007, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Hel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really nice

Hi there,

Thanks

When we went over for Christmas we took with us Christmas puddings, carton of custard, packs of biscuits, xmas cake, bisto and none was confiscated. Check the customs website to see what is allowed.

Our shippers have said no to wicker and rattan but I am hoping they are incorrect as we have 3 laundry bins, 4 baskets and some wicker wrapped vases we wanted to take!
Old Oct 29th 2007, 12:25 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Thanks
Wicker is a no no.. as is cane furniture.

Leave the food behind, we have plenty here. Pharmaceuticals, I am sure there are certain items you cannot bring, someone posted a link on here yrs ago, about prohibited items, inc syrups..
Old Oct 29th 2007, 12:28 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hel&Will
When we went over for Christmas we took with us Christmas puddings, carton of custard, packs of biscuits, xmas cake, bisto and none was confiscated. Check the customs website to see what is allowed.

Our shippers have said no to wicker and rattan but I am hoping they are incorrect as we have 3 laundry bins, 4 baskets and some wicker wrapped vases we wanted to take!
DO NOT BRING WICKER RATTAN OR CANE

CUSTOMS ARE MORE THAN HAPPY TO CHARGE YOU FOR THE DISPOSAL AND EXTERMINATION OF ANY BANNED GOODS.

< Paid $150.00 for customs to destroy, an item that was size of a telephone, made of PLASTIC wicker effect ( xmas decs )

Incidentally, customs, will look at shippers itinerary first off.

Any items that appear to be on the list that are dubious, such as real wood effect woven furniture... kinda rings alarm bells for rattan or wicker ! lol

Dont bother bringing it, they will be rubbing hands with GLEE
Old Oct 29th 2007, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

NeilP is on a distinguished road

Wicker, cane, bamboo etc is allowed, it just needs to be declared. If customs don't like it they will either fumigate it (at your cost) or destroy it (also at your cost).
In our recent shipment we had a bamboo laundry bin and about a dozen wicker baskets (all declared) and didn't have any of it fumigated or destroyed. Basically it's down to whether or not you want the hassle or the potential cost of getting it treated.
There is some useful info on the aqis website, basically if the item is prohibited you can't take it, but if you just need to declare it you can.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

I just worried after seeing this thread, bet found this website which might help.

I would hate to have yo get rid of my furniture

http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_querycontent.asp
Old Oct 29th 2007, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

liza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to all

Thank you all for your help and advice - I'm going to give the wicker a chance - just too much good stuff to depart with. Am willing to pay for fumigation if necessary.