Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ok little stressed out

ok little stressed out

Old Apr 13th 2012, 8:44 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ok little stressed out

Originally Posted by nandnor
Haha ill tell you when i get there. But just saying - you guys are all from a first world country so you look at things a bit differently. But remember all the people coming from 2nd world countries - it would take forever to even save 20k. So they come with a much smaller bank account, live frugally to start off, and with hard work still get a good life.
So are you going to Australia with a partner and 4 children or on your own?
Old Apr 13th 2012, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

OakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jad n rich
A 90 day leccy acct just came in $602, we have every energy saving device/tip known to man and its still crazy.
House insurance went up $300, set to rise again,
OMG, I'd have a heart attack if I got your bills!!

For gas, electricity and water - our total bill for 2011-12 was $2000 (take another $462 off this total bill as APG's promotion means we get this rebate on completing a year) This was for our rental property - 4 bedrooms, not insulated, huge gaps in the doors so letting cold/hot draughts into the house. We didn't have air conditioning but used fans. No pool either. The house was an oven in summer and a freezer in winter! We used the ducted heating a lot in winter.

Good insulation makes a huge difference. When we visited our current house on a particularly hot day we thought the air conditioning had been left on accidentally. We now find that it is just cool naturally thanks to insulation, orientation of the rooms/windows, trees etc. So summers henceforth are going to be very pleasant Will also be looking at low e glass and double glazing all our windows eventually.

Our gas ducted system isn't working Will be replacing that (old brivis buffalo unit) soon before the cold hits us.

PS: Our house insurance from Allianz is $38 a month.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 1:39 am
Just Joined

bucket is an unknown quantity at this point

Moved from USA couple of months ago with family and 2 kids and basically from Asia. Spent couple of years in US before moving here. Like every body thought Australian dream for family can be the best thing in life.

But after moving in, in the last 3 months applied for at least 400 - 500 jobs, but so far no responses or interviews, skill set is IT manager. Lack of local experience is the reason every body tells me, I never faced this issue in USA, been with 60Billion$ company in USA. Tried every possible consultant, company, changed resume format many a times with lot of prayers, but still unemployed.

Within the first 3 months without the initial flight and travel expenses spent spent at least 25K in setting up the home, paying the rent etc. Now think I should have moved my entire house hold things from US to here. Almost bankrupt now, tired of fighting this lonely fight in a lonely country with no family or less friends.

Now very seriously thinking, this kind of cost of living will not suit us in the long run, and will have to move back to my home country if I cannot find a job within a month.

Before moving in, I calculated assistance from Centerlink will help me until I get a job to some extent. But it has been almost 3 months I applied with Centerlink, visited, called centerlink 8 - 9 times(Waiting time in centerlink office is 2-3 hours every visit), every time I get same answer "your claim is under processing", but no money yet.

USA was pretty much cheap in many aspects, even cheaper than Asian countries in groceries and real estate (Rent or home purchase). I could have easily bought a decent condo for 60$K in my place in USA.

Reason I moved from USA was my green card (PR) was getting delayed(I waited for 7 years, still stuck in first stage of processing) and getting sick of cold climate. But now I think we can even manage the cold, but not this cost of living or unemployment issues.

I am not trying to say that US is better or something. Since I moved from US, just comparing the cost of living and getting the first break kind of difficult here. Now I am almost serious to go back to Asia or US(If I get an option again) because of this unemployment and near bankruptcy.

I am welcoming opinions from people who have seen both sides of the world, because right now, I am so much confused to think rationally.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 4:41 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bucket
Before moving in, I calculated assistance from Centerlink will help me until I get a job to some extent. But it has been almost 3 months I applied with Centerlink, visited, called centerlink 8 - 9 times(Waiting time in centerlink office is 2-3 hours every visit), every time I get same answer "your claim is under processing", but no money yet.
I don't know why you would have calculated Centrelink assistance in your budget. It's very clearly spelled out that immigrants are not entitled to benefits (other than a select few) for the first 2 years. The only things you're entitled to from C'link are family tax benefit (for your children) and rent assistance. If you're looking for unemployment benefits you're going to have to wait until you have lived here for the full 24 months.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 5:05 am
Just Joined

BritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really nice

Do Australian Citizens (who were born overseas & never lived / worked in Australia before) have to wait the 2 years if they find themselves in a similar position ?

Bucket, I presume its just child benefit you're waiting for from Centrelink ?
Have you started lowering your sights on the job front to see if you can get lower level IT job interviews ? Might be a plan for now just to try and get an income as opposed to the ideal income. Taking a lower level position (if possible) will start getting you local experience and perhaps something better would pop up ?
Old Apr 15th 2012, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

The thread by Dorothy on the cost of living seemed to be scarily accurate.

However the OP and Family are citizens having got Aussie passports.

Surely if they really want to come there is not that much to lose.

I maybe wrong but with 4 children the wonderful world of centrelink maybe a very good insurance policy if jobs etc prove difficult.

This may not be completely accurate but I have been told by a working guy with 4 kids that his wages are roughly what centrelink would be paying if he did not bother to work. In his case work is preferable to being home all day with 4 kids and the mrs so he works.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Keefo is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife and I are similar to yourselves although it is just the two of us. We will hopefully have around $40k left over from our house sale once we have paid for shipping of our goods and all other related things plus another $60k which we don't really want to touch but is back up if we need it. We have started the emigration process, my wife has just sent her teaching qualifications away to be assessed which was $550 alone. I am 38 and my wife 30 and hope to settle in Perth. I know a lot of people on here will say why the the most expensive place but that is what we have decided on (we think). We know my parents friends who live in Rockingham and have lived there for over 50 years and they said they can put us up until we find a rental, they also have a contact in the real estate business so hopefully we can get sorted with a rental after a month or two. My wife has been told she should get around $65-70k before tax for her 8 years Maths teaching experience although this could be 9-10 years once we are there. We are like you and are worried if we would have enough to survive just for paying off the basics, also like you we are not bothered about going out for meals and spending loads of money on expensive stuff just as long as we have a few hundred dollars left at the end of the month to stroll to the cafe or have a day at the beach. I am a CAD draughtsman and hope to find a job doing this but a lot of jobs are within the mining or civil industries, although I have seen one or two jobs advertised that ask for solely AutoCAD experience. My worry is that a lot of jobs whether you have experience or not even in general office roles require 2-5 years experience within that particular industry. My parents friends have told us we should get a nice rental (3x2)on just my wifes wage and should have at least $500 left at the end of the month. We do keep thinking is it a good idea but who knows what will happen to us regarding our health etc in the next 20-30 years so you only have one life and it is for experiencing new things so in the end we have thought lets go and give it a go.

Keefo

Last edited by Keefo; Apr 17th 2012 at 2:06 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

BritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really nice

I like your attitude Keefo.
I'm not talking from experience with regards to moving to Aus (although plan to) but think the two of you should do just fine.

Congrats on being a Sugar Daddy :-)
Old Apr 18th 2012, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Also to consider is the rip off cost for school uniforms. Plus the "voluntary" school contributions. It's something that friends of our regularly complain about there. Not trying to put you off, but just thought that it was something that you can think about in your budgeting.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 8:17 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Damson
Also to consider is the rip off cost for school uniforms. Plus the "voluntary" school contributions. It's something that friends of our regularly complain about there. Not trying to put you off, but just thought that it was something that you can think about in your budgeting.
If it's voluntary you don't pay it simple as. I paid it for First Born first year and then thought sod it and haven't paid it since for either of them. I know some schools have a ridiculously priced uniform but Tiddler's High School is pretty damn reasonable when you consider they are wearing it day in day out for much of the year. Primary uniform can very often be bought from the likes of Kmart and don't schools in the UK have uniform any more? I paid shedloads more on uniform there than I do here what with blazers etc.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bucket
But after moving in, in the last 3 months applied for at least 400 - 500 jobs, but so far no responses or interviews, skill set is IT manager. Lack of local experience is the reason every body tells me, I never faced this issue in USA, been with 60Billion$ company in USA. Tried every possible consultant, company, changed resume format many a times with lot of prayers, but still unemployed.

I am welcoming opinions from people who have seen both sides of the world, because right now, I am so much confused to think rationally.
Hang on in there - I am a skilled IT professional with lots of local experience and took over three months last year to get a job trying very hard. Do try to network - very much who you know not what you know here. Dealing with IT agencies is humiliating and often thankless. Try direct application to companies where possible. You'll get lucky some time. I found dumbing down my CV helped when I applied for more junior roles. It's really hard work being unemployed - and Australia isn't as flush with IT jobs as everyone seems to think. Good luck!
Old Apr 19th 2012, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

£26000 in the UK and $60000 in AU. What's the golden rule? 2.2 - 2.5. I think you'll be no worse off. (though I didn't read all 4 pages)
Old Apr 19th 2012, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Jamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Ask yourself why you want to move. We are moving to Melbourne in Sept/Oct and while I think Aus is the land of milk and honey I am realistic enough to know it is not a holiday.

You still have to work, take the kids to school do the laundry etc.. You are choosing a lifestyle for the long term and setting the foundations for future generations of your little Aussies. It will take time to get established but no one said it would be easy. If this was a decision based purely on economic grounds then you probably wouldn't do it. But it is not. You want to live the dream and it will take a little investment both financially and emotionally. Lots of people live on a lot less than $60 and do very well.

Rent a house that you know you can afford and when you are established then get your dream home. Probably best to take your stuff though as Australia is not yet at the same level of shopping opportunites and bargains as the UK.

Remember, this is a choice for life and I would say 'go for it' you only have one life so be bold. Your lifestyle will improve and the opportunities for your family will far exceed what the UK has to offer.

Stay positive, do your research and good luck!!